Kobe Bryant signs two-year extension with Lakers
The Los Angeles Lakers announced on Monday that the team has signed Kobe Bryant to a two-year contract extension.
Last month, Lakers executive vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss tried to put to rest any speculation that the team was going to allow Kobe to become a free agent next summer. He was apparently very serious when he referred to Bryant as a “top priority.” General manager Mitch Kupchak echoed Buss’ sentiments on Monday.
“This is a very happy day for Lakers fans and for the Lakers organization,” Kupchak said, via ESPNLosAngeles.com’s Arash Markazi. “We’ve said all along our priority and hope was to have Kobe finish his career as a Laker, this should ensure that that happens. To play 20 years in the NBA, and to do so with the same team, is unprecedented, and quite an accomplishment. It assures us that one of the best players in the world will remain a Laker.”
Bryant, who is set to return from an Achilles injury soon, has said in the past that he wants to win two more championships before retiring. He also said that he was not going to take a pay cut to remain in LA, and it appears he stuck to his word. Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times noted that Kobe will remain the highest-paid player in the NBA over the next two seasons with his new extension, making between $40 million and $50 million.
Photo: Twitter/LA Lakers