The Boston Herald’s Steve Bulpett says the Celtics’ potential offer of the Nos. 6 and 17 overall picks in this year’s draft plus a player like Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk isn’t nearly the best offer the T-Wolves have received or are expected to receive.
Bulpett says the Warriors and Nuggets have both made more intriguing offers.
Love will be a free agent after the season and supposedly is trying to get the team to trade him before the season. Minnesota is receiving offers and can choose to keep the forward for the entire season or wait until the trade deadline to deal him.
The Star Tribune Jerry Zgoda believes the Warriors are the favorites to land Love, though he lists the Cavs as a possibility, especially if Cleveland decides to deal the No. 1 pick (which would probably be foolish).
ESPN’s Chad Ford believes the Celtics are the favorites because he doesn’t think the Warriors would include Klay Thompson in a deal. He also says he heard the C’s had the best deal on the table.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Love. I know when Danny Ainge wants a guy, he usually gets him, so I’m banking on Ainge right now.
- Filed Under:
- Kevin Love
Chilean fans weren’t about to be kept out of the stadium for their country’s World Cup game against Spain on Tuesday. They did whatever they had to to get in on the action.
In fact, their fans broke through security and invaded the media center inside Estadio Do Maracana in Rio de Janeiro. Because they invaded the media center, a lot of their actions were recorded and/or photographed.
Below you can see video of where they broke through:
Video dei tifosi che rompono il cordone di sicurezza e invadono la sala stampa del Maracana https://t.co/AddbrK71iQ
— Tancredi Palmeri (@tancredipalmeri) June 18, 2014
— Menzi Kulati™ (@menzikulati) June 18, 2014
Chilean fans broke into media center. Vandalism at its best. pic.twitter.com/37rsKvM2se
— Barca fins a la mort (@semprebarcaa) June 18, 2014
And here are photos of the destruction they caused:
Carnage A big group of Chile fans has broken down a barrier and stormed the Maracanã Stadium [ pic.twitter.com/Sr3XpMQGO1
— Purely Football (@PurelyFootball) June 18, 2014
— Jonathan Biles (@Jonathan_Biles) June 18, 2014
Security eventually took control of the situation. Apparently the fans thought/hoped their invasion would help them get into the game, but they didn’t realize the corridor they broke through didn’t lead to the stands. Sucks for them.
H/T Sports Grid
- Filed Under:
- World Cup 2014
Crawford (pictured), a defensive lineman, said he didn’t like the way Frederick, a center, grabbed him, and he called it disrespectful. The Dallas Morning News says there was some pushing and a few punches thrown between the two men. Zach Martin apparently lost his helmet during the scuffle, and Mackenzy Bernadeau and Crawford were still jawing a few plays later.
Coach Jason Garrett reportedly said afterwards that he was pleased with the way they moved on.
It wouldn’t be minicamp if there weren’t a fight between players. This sort of thing just happens when players bang heads repeatedly during practice.
Tim Cahill scored an impressive goal for Australia against The Netherlands on Wednesday that could rival Robin Van Persie’s acrobatic header from earlier in the tournament. The ball was volleyed over Cahill’s head from about midfield and he ripped it off the crossbar and in before it touched the ground.
Here’s another look at Cahill’s beautiful strike.
Unfortunately for Australia, that may be Cahill’s last big moment in his World Cup career. The 34-year old later received a yellow card for a hard tackle, which was his second yellow of the World Cup. That means he will be suspended for Australia’s final group stage match against Spain, and the Aussies are highly unlikely to advance to the knockout rounds.
If this is Cahill’s last World Cup, he ended it with a bang.
- Filed Under:
Robin Van Persie has scored the best goal of the 2014 World Cup to this point. Van Persie ended up face down on the turf after netting his incredible header in The Netherlands’ upset over Spain, and the goal has sparked a social media trend called “Persieing.”
While social media trends like Tebowing are pretty played out by now, we’re always up for giving a 93-year-old man the credit he deserves. Earlier this week, Van Persie’s 93-year-old grandfather Wim Ras did some Persieing of his own.
— Omroep Brabant (@omroepbrabant) June 18, 2014
How awesome is that? My grandfather’s also 93 and still has his wits about him, so I know how great it can be to have someone like that in your family. Van Persie is a lucky guy. His grandfather seems like the man.
H/T Washington Post
A group of Atlanta Braves fans held a sign at Turner Field on Tuesday night during their team’s game against the Philadelphia Phillies that read,” Ryan Howard listens to Nickelback.” For some, that is the ultimate insult. For Ryan Howard, it simply creates confusion over how a group of girls knew what he has on his iPod.
When asked about the sign after the game, Howard seemed puzzled.
“Damn, that’s outrageous,” he said, per Todd Zolecki of The Zo Zone. “I didn’t know that. Is it bad to listen to Nickelback?”
Howard had to have been playing along, right? Maybe not.
“I mean, I’m not afraid to say that I diversify my musical portfolio,” he added. “I didn’t know they could see or hear what … how do they know I listen to Nickelback? I listen to everything. I don’t know if there’s a specific song by Nickelback (I listen to).”
First of all, the sign is trolling at it’s finest. Anyone can chant “Howard sucks” or hold up a sign that displays his .231 batting average, but the Nickelback angle is unique if nothing else. If Howard was fighting fire with fire by playing dumb, more power to him.
For those of you who don’t understand the joke or why it would be an insult to call someone out for listening to Nickelback, here you go:
H/T Hardball Talk
From the moment Ken Whisenhunt was hired to be the next head coach of the Tennessee Titans, it appeared obvious Chris Johnson had played his last snap with the team. Whisenhunt stopped short of ever publicly endorsing Johnson and Johnson had already stated he would never take a pay cut to stay in Tennessee, so the writing was on the wall.
For some reason, the Titans waited until three weeks after the free agency period opened to release CJ?K. They could have been taking some time to make a final decision, but Johnson believes they deliberately dragged their heels to mess with him.
“I think they was just being nasty to be honest,” Johnson told Sirius XM NFL Radio’s Alex Marvez and Keith Bulluck on Tuesday, via Pro Football Talk. “I love Tennessee, I love my fans and all that, but I think at the end of the day [the Titans] did me wrong.
“And I don’t know if it was, ‘Oh, we’re gonna get revenge back on you for holding out’ when I held out the whole training camp [in 2011] or whatever. I feel like they already knew they were going in a different direction, and it just baffles me that you release me after free agency is over and you wait until a couple days [before] it’s time to show up for offseason workouts to let me go.”
As PFT’s Mike Florio noted, the Titans likely held onto Johnson for a few weeks because they were hoping to trade him. A trade was a long shot given Johnson’s $8 million salary and how obvious it was that Tennessee wasn’t keeping him, but it was worth a shot. Did they care that they were hampering Johnson’s ability to negotiate with other teams? Of course not.
Whatever the case, Johnson believes the Titans will regret giving him his walking papers.
“I’m gonna make them regret letting me go,” Johnson said. “They’re gonna regret it. Trust that.”
That’s not going to happen. The Titans know what Johnson is capable of. He’s one of the most explosive backs in the league and could easily run for 1,500 yards this season. But even if he does, that doesn’t necessarily mean he was going to give it his all and do the same in Tennessee.
Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane took the concept of “Moneyball” to the next level on Tuesday. You know how a parent sometimes signs over a car to their kid for $1 just so the kid can legally put the title in his or her name? The A’s have done that with former Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Brad Mills.
Mills, who has compiled a 4-2 record and 1.56 ERA in 14 Triple-A games this season, had a clause in his contract that allowed him to opt out if another team wanted to put him on its active MLB roster after June 15. According to Todd Rosiak of the Journal Sentinel, the A’s plan to insert the 29-year old right into their starting rotation.
Rosiak also noted that Mills’ contract with the Brewers called for the team to receive zero compensation if he ended up being assigned to another team’s 25-man roster, so it’s strange that the A’s even parted with $1.
As anyone who has seen the movie “Moneyball” or is familiar with Beane’s story can tell you, this is the exact type of low-risk, high-reward situation he loves to be a part of. Mills is 3-3 with a 7.76 ERA in 15 career MLB games. The A’s are hoping they get the Mills that lit up Triple-A rather than the one who has struggled in the majors.
- Filed Under:
Johnny Cueto and his 2.46 ERA over the past four seasons have probably frustrated a number of hitters to the point where they want to snap a baseball bat over their knee. Perhaps Johnny has seen it done before and thought it looked pretty easy. The Cincinnati Reds ace learned the hard way on Tuesday night that it is not.
When Cueto took a called third strike in the fourth inning and failed to drop down a sacrifice bunt, he tried to break his bat over his knee while walking to the dugout. It didn’t work, which means it must have hurt like a bastard.
Hitters have broken bats over their knees countless times over the years. When pitchers try to emulate them, they end up with whopping bruises on their leg. I’m 99% sure Johnny has one after that failed attempt.
Video via Cut 4
- Filed Under:
- Johnny Cueto
Brock Holt is typically a third baseman, but the youngster got the start in center field for the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday night. Jonny Gomes is sure glad he was there.
Minnesota Twins infielder Brian Dozer hit a high popup to left field with two outs in the third inning, and Gomes lost it in the twilight sky. Sometimes it can be tough to see a ball against the skylight when the sun is going down. Fortunately for Gomes, Holt was tracking the ball the entire way from center field and made a fantastic diving catch on it.
As you can see, the ball ended up nowhere near where Gomes was standing. He completely lost it. Holt bailed both him and Jon Lester out and made one of the better defensive plays of the year in the process.