Tiger Woods had an ex-SEAL bodyguard who claimed to speak with Tiger’s dead dad, according to Hank Haney’s book
You may remember last month when it leaked that Hank Haney‘s then-yet-to-be-released book about Tiger Woods discusses how Tiger trained with and wanted to join the Navy SEALs. We’ve been treated to other splendid excerpts from the book since then. Now that “The Big Miss” hit bookstores on Tuesday, everybody can officially get all the rest of the details. Business Insider already flipped through it and sheds more light on the Tiger SEAL-related exploits that Haney divulges, and there’s one detail about a clairvoyant ex-SEAL bodyguard we couldn’t help but to share:
Tiger befriended an unnamed ex-SEAL and hired him as a bodyguard. Haney said Tiger’s ex-caddie Steve Williams thought the guy was “weird,” and they didn’t like his influence on Tiger. The guy also allegedly told Williams that Tiger’s dead father Earl was “speaking to him on a regular basis and giving him instructions on how to help Tiger.”
Haney has come under fire for writing the book but has staunchly defended it, saying on Dan Patrick’s show Tuesday that if people read it in it’s entirety they wouldn’t be so condemning. With the book out now, we can judge for ourselves. Or maybe we could just wait until HBO decides to make a movie about it.
Photo credit: Allan Henry-US PRESSWIRE
- Filed Under:
- Tiger Woods
Former “Sopranos” star Jamie-Lynn Sigler has traded in a turtle for a cutter. The New York Post reports actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler is dating Cutter Dykstra, the son of disgraced ex-MLB All-Star Lenny Dykstra.
The Post says the two have been dating for a few months and that things are going really well. They say the couple met through mutual friends Yankees OF Nick Swisher and his wife, actress Joanna Garcia.
One look at either person’s Twitter feed shows they certainly interact frequently. They tweet with each other regularly and appear to discuss social plans often. It also looks like Sigler’s father has a baseball background.
Cutter is a former 2008 2nd-round pick by the Brewers. He struggled batting just .212 at high-A Potomac in the Nationals’ organization last season. He’s a career .258 minor league hitter.
Dennis Rodman is allegedly behind around $800,000 on child support payments and around $51,000 on spousal support payments, so his attorney is claiming the former NBA rebounding king is “broke” and “extremely sick.”
Rodman was due in court Tuesday in Orange, Ca. regarding his delinquency and could be facing 20 days in jail. He says he simply does not have the money to make the payments owed to Michelle Rodman, his third wife, and their two children, aged nine and 10. He is supposed to pay them $4,500 per month and he owes $5,000 per month for another child.
“Respondent Dennis Rodman is broke and cannot afford any additional fees,” according to court documents filed on his behalf, the Daily Pilot says.
He is “extremely sick” and his marketability is diminishing with age and illness, according to court documents.
The sickness refers to Rodman’s alleged alcoholism problem.
In addition to owing thousands in child and spousal support, Rodman also owes at least $100,000 in back taxes. His taxes supposedly were down improperly by a previous accountant, leaving him in a bad spot.
The attorney for Rodman’s ex-wife says claims that Dennis is broke are bogus and that he flies around the world geting paid to promote parties. We also know Rodman was promoting an anti-hangover shake last year. I also wouldn’t read too much into the broke and sick claims; they are likely legal ploys by his attorney to soften his financial burdens.
Photo Credit: Bob Donnan-US PRESSWIRE
H/T LBS contributor A. Liu
- Dennis Rodman
How would David Stern handle this one? Excessive hanging on the rim in the NBA is a technical foul. I wonder if that same rule applies for players who can hang on the rim and taunt their opponents without actually hanging on the rim. Paul Sturgess, a 7-foot-8 player from the Harlem Globetrotters, did just that last week as you can see in the video above that the Globetrotters shared on YouTube. Sturgess, better known as “Tiny,” is listed as the World’s Tallest Basketball Player in the Guinness Book of World Records. It doesn’t appear that Sturgess, originally from England, has much in the way of hops, but who needs it when you’re that tall?
This is why people still go to see the Globetrotters play despite the fact that they are simply an exhibition squad. If watching a 7-foot-8 dude dunk and taunt his opponent while remaining on his feet isn’t worth the price of admission, nothing is. You’d probably have to pay more to watch an NBA player do something like this or this.
H/T The Post Game
- Filed Under:
Early on in the Peyton Manning free agency tour, the Seattle Seahawks were considered to be a potential suitor. Any team in need of a quarterback was discussed when speculating where Manning would end up, but there were few who actually knew where Peyton wanted to play. Manning wanted to make his decision in a hurry, so scheduling a good amount of visits and meetings in a short span of time was unavoidable. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, however, was avoidable.
As Peter King pointed out in his recent Sports Illustrated article that details how Manning ended up in Denver, Peyton met with representatives from the Broncos, Redskins, Niners, and Cardinals while out west a couple of weeks ago. Since he had not scheduled a meeting with the Seahawks, Carroll decided he would show up unannounced and try to win the four-time MVP over.
One more surprise: Manning got a call informing him that Seahawks coach Pete Carroll had flown, unannounced, with Seattle G.M. John Schneider to the airport in Englewood. Carroll would do whatever Manning wanted—talk for a while in Denver or on the plane to Arizona, his next visit, or fly him to Seattle for a lengthier discussion.
Peyton Manning does not like surprises. He said no thanks. Carroll flew home.
Burned. Carroll gets an A+ for effort, but it’s obvious Manning must have had no intention of playing for the Seahawks. At the time he was a busy man who was listening to sales pitches from a number of teams while trying to make the biggest decision of his career. Clearly, there was nothing Carroll could have said to make him consider playing in Seattle. Luckily for Pete, that’s why they invented business expenses.
H/T The Seattle Times Seahawks Blog
Photo Credit: Jerry Lai-US PRESSWIRE
- Filed Under:
In order to respect and accommodate the cultural beliefs of various countries, female volleyball players will be given more of a choice in clothing at the London Olympics this summer. Instead of having to wear bikinis, the International Volleyball Federation has announced that women will be allowed to wear shorts and tops with sleeves. The new rule permits “shorts of a maximum length of (1.18 inches) above the knee,” so I doubt we’ll be seeing any board shorts on the beach.
“Many of these countries have religious and cultural requirements, so the uniform needed to be more flexible.” FIVB spokesman Richard Baker told the Associated Press Tuesday. “Winners of the Continental Cups will qualify for the Olympics, so it has to be applied.”
Five Continental Cup Olympic qualifiers already had the rule in place, so it made sense to extend it to all athletes and countries. Plenty of athletes will stick to the bikini uniforms that they have become accustomed to, but the option is available.
As expected, there have already been rumblings about the change in uniform policy affecting ratings for volleyball. The reality is — whether right or wrong — there are plenty of people who tune into women’s Olympic beach volleyball to watch women in bikinis. More clothing will also mean less space for those tattoo advertisements some players have featured.
Photo Credit: Presse Sports-US PRESSWIRE
- Filed Under:
- London Olympics
Mark Sanchez may not like it, but the Jets didn’t acquire Tim Tebow with the intention of simply stashing him as an insurance policy. New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano intends to use him. Those who have criticized New York for holding a press conference to introduce a backup quarterback are forgetting one thing: Tebow is not exactly a backup. In fact, Rex Ryan insists opposing defenses had better be on their toes when facing the Jets this season.
“We’re going to use both,” Ryan said according to the NY Daily News. “It’s not going … ‘Second down … Tebow, you’re in.’ … The great thing is that nobody has any idea how many snaps it’s going to be. But you better be prepared.
“I feel better about our quarterback situation than I ever have since I’ve been here. Tim Tebow is a good football player. Mark Sanchez is a good quarterback.”
Rex added that Sanchez is undoubtedly still the starter and that the Jets would have signed him to an extension with or without Tebow. He also said he believes having Tebow on board will benefit Sanchez, but nobody is going to believe that until the season is underway — especially since Ryan wouldn’t rule out Tebow playing 20 snaps a game.
“I’m absolutely putting it out there,” he said. “I think the wildcat is alive and well.”
Sanchez hasn’t exactly proven himself to be a top-flight NFL starter, but he still believes he can be one. He wants to win like anyone else, but I doubt he envisioned watching from the sidelines as another quarterback splits time with him and runs a couple dozen plays. My gut feeling is that this won’t end well.
Photo Credit: Alan Maglaque-US PRESSWIRE
- Filed Under:
The beer and fried chicken controversy that came to light after Boston’s collapse in September of 2011 is not going to go away until the team starts lighting it up. Even then, the stench will linger. Despite the fact that an entirely fresh season is set to begin in just over a week, John Lackey found himself having to answer questions about the mistakes the Red Sox made last season in an interview with the Boston Globe that was published on Tuesday. Lackey, who will miss all of 2012 after undergoing Tommy John Surgery, could have been a bit more thoughtful with his choice in wording.
“Guys having a beer after their start has been going on for the last 100 years,’’ Lackey told Dan Shaughnessy after making it clear that he wished they didn’t have to talk about it. “This is retarded. It’s not like we were sitting up there doing it every night. It’s not even close to what people think.’’
As we all know, the Sox hurlers were doing a bit more than simply having a beer after a start. We can understand why Lackey is frustrated with having to deal with missing an entire season and still answering questions about what went on last year, but the way he phrased it is regrettable. I am certainly guilty of having used the word “retarded” in an inappropriate context before, but I’m not a professional athlete with a microphone in front of me. Don’t expect an apology anytime soon, but Lackey certainly could have come up with a better term to express his frustration with a situation that just won’t go away.
H/T Big League Stew
Photo Credit: Bob DeChiara-US PRESSWIRE
- Filed Under:
- John Lackey
Of all the owners in the NBA — and perhaps even professional sports in general — Donald Sterling has to be one of the dumbest. For the most part, he’s just a rich dude who owns a basketball team that he could care less about it. He does, however, insist he is going to make the right moves with his two biggest superstars. Now that the Clippers are relevant again, Sterling has to make sure Chris Paul and Blake Griffin stay with the team.
“Chris Paul will be with me for a lifetime,” Sterling said according to the L.A. Times. “And Blake will too. I’m not going to ever let these guys go. They are max players, and so you’re going to pay that and keep them.”
Griffin is a free agent after this year and Paul’s contract is scheduled to expire at the end of next season. Both will obviously require a max contract extension — which this year for Griffin would be a five-year, $95 million deal — but keeping two young superstars would give the Clippers the core they need for years to come.
As for whether or not it will actually happen, we all know it’s not that simple. When you have someone who has been known to do ridiculous things like this running the show, even the simplest matters can become complicated.
Photo Credit: Kelvin Kuo-US PRESSWIRE
- Filed Under:
For just the second time since 1976, the U.S. men’s soccer team will not be going to the Olympics.
The U-23 men’s team blew a 3-2 lead against El Salvador Monday at LP Field in Nashville, Tenn. and ended up with a 3-3 draw.
Terrence Boyd scored twice for the U.S. but backup goalie Sean Johnson surrendered the tying goal four minutes into stoppage time — seconds before the game ended.
Johnson replaced Bill Hamid, who allowed two goals after hurting his ankle midway through the first half, and held El Salvador scoreless until stoppage time. Johnson didn’t speak with the media after the devastating loss.
Team captain Freddy Adu summed up the team’s disappointment.
“This is probably the worst feeling I’ve ever felt in my life so far as a pro athlete,” Adu said. “This is going to be hard to get over. But at the end of the day things like this happen. For me, I never want to feel this way again, and I’m going to do whatever it takes to never feel this way again.”
The U.S. team finished third in CONCACAF Group A standings behind Canada and El Salvador who both advanced to the semis thanks to a win and two draws. The U.S. had a win, loss, and the dreadful draw against El Salvador.
Photo Credit: Jim Brown-US PRESSWIRE
Note: This post also appeared at Medal Detector