The Boston Red Sox’s addition of Chris Sale via trade on Tuesday seems to have David Ortiz contemplating a comeback. That’s according to the slugger’s Instagram account.
Ortiz posted a photo on Instagram Tuesday of Sale, whom the Red Sox acquired from the White Sox. In his caption, Ortiz wrote, “My god my boy sale to Btown? You guys got me thinking.”
A photo posted by David Ortiz (@davidortiz) on
Is Ortiz just fooling with fans or is he legitimately thinking of coming back? He was adamant throughout the season that he would retire despite having an outstanding year where he led the league in doubles, RBIs, slugging percentage and OPS, while clubbing 38 home runs. Just read these quotes from Boston’s trainer to understand what Ortiz went through on a daily basis.
But his Red Sox were bounced early in the postseason, potentially leaving the three-time World Series champion feeling dissatisfied. With the team’s World Series chances looking even better, maybe the 41-year-old would reconsider his retirement plans.
- David Ortiz
Rick Carlisle isn’t sugarcoating his team’s 4-16 start to the season.
The Dallas Mavericks head coach commented on Tuesday about their lack of effort in a 109-101 loss to the Charlotte Hornets on Monday, two days after a blowout 107-82 victory over the Chicago Bulls.
“Why we fell into that, I’m not sure,” Carlisle said of the Mavs’ lackadaisical performance, per Tim MacMahon of ESPN. “Maybe we were resting on the laurels of our one-game winning streak.”
It’s definitely been a rough season for the aging Mavericks, who have dealt with injuries upon injuries to an already anemic roster. Ownership has insisted that the team will not be tanking this season, so Carlisle may have to get even more acid-tongued in an attempt to inspire his badly-demoralized troops for the remainder of the year.
- Rick Carlisle
The Knicks are having a pretty good season so far, and the talk is positive about Derrick Rose’s future in New York.
Rose’s agent B.J. Armstrong joined Sirius XM NBA’s “The Starting Lineup” on Monday and was asked about how the Knicks are suiting the former league MVP.
“I think this has been a great fit for him,” Armstrong said in an interview with Sirius XM NBA’s “The Starting Lineup” on Monday. “I think he looked at it from the moment [the trade] happened as an opportunity. He was very thankful. I know we were very thankful for playing in a great sports town like Chicago. But this part of his life — he sees this as the right place for him to be at the right time and the right moment.
“So playing with a young kid like [Kristaps Porzingis] and Carmelo [Anthony] and all of the players and things they’ve done there, so many new faces, I think this just presents a challenge for him that he’s really embraced and I can’t find a better place to do it every night than Madison Square Garden.”
Rose is not up to what he did when he was an MVP for the Bulls, but his numbers have been solid this season. He’s averaging 17 points, 4.9 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game while shooting 45.5 percent from the field. That has led to questions about whether the Knicks will sign him to an extension.
Armstrong says the Knicks have not yet raised the possibility of a contract extension for Rose, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season. But he also says he’s not concerned about that.
“It’s not something that we’re concerned about at the moment right now. We just want to look at every game, get through the season and see how good we can really be.”
Armstrong does believe there is a good possibility Rose will remain with the Knicks long term.
“I think there’s a good possibility [of remaining in New York long-term], and hopefully as he continues to just build on what he’s been able to do thus far and just take it one game at a time and let’s just see how it plays out at the end of the season.”
If Rose continues to play well and the Knicks build upon their success, it would make sense for them to try locking up the point guard. And it sounds like Rose would be receptive.
Here’s audio from Armstrong’s interview:
- Derrick Rose
The New York Yankees are hot on the prowl for an elite closer or two.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com on Tuesday, the Yankees have made contract offers to free agent relievers Aroldis Chapman and Kenley Jansen.
The Yankees have made contract offers to both Aroldis Chapman and Kenley Jansen.
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) December 6, 2016
The 28-year-old Chapman, who was actually with the Yankees last season before being traded to the Chicago Cubs at the deadline, appears to want a massive commitment from whatever team signs him. Meanwhile, Jansen, 29, is being pursued by a number of teams as well.
The Yankees have some money to work with, even more than the usual, after the trade of Brian McCann to the Houston Astros and the retirements of Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez. Their three-headed bullpen beast of Chapman, Andrew Miller, and Dellin Betances didn’t work out nearly as well as they would have liked it to last year. With Miller also being moved at the deadline but Betances still on the roster, we’ll see if they want to run it back in a different manifestation next season.
- Filed Under:
JR Smith is day-to-day for the Cleveland Cavaliers after the MRI on his injured knee came back clean, according to a report.
Smith injured his knee during the Cavaliers’ game against their Eastern Conference rivals Toronto Monday, leading him to play just 10 minutes in the game. But The Vertical’s Shams Charania reports that the MRI came back clean for Smith.
Sources: Cleveland guard J.R. Smith's left knee MRI returned clean today. He's expected to be day-to-day. Smith injured knee Monday.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) December 6, 2016
Here’s video of the play:
Looks like JR Smith's knee locked up on him hope he's fine pic.twitter.com/PPCqux0yyj
— NBA RETWEET (@RTNBA) December 6, 2016
Smith is day-to-day now, which is good news for the 14-5 Cavaliers.
Smith is actually having a down season for the Cavs. He’s averaging just 7.8 points per game on a career-worst 31.1 percent shooting from the field. He’s also making just 32.7 percent of his threes, which is his lowest mark since his rookie season.
Iman Shumpert and Mike Dunleavy could see extra minutes if Smith misses any time.
- Filed Under:
- JR Smith
Could a move from the AL East to the NL West be in store for Jose Bautista?
Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star reported on Tuesday that the Los Angeles Dodgers have been in touch with Bautista. Griffin does add though that talks are on hold until the trade market further plays out and that the Dodgers, who are projected to be over $200 million in team payroll in 2017, may have to shed some salary to prove a realistic landing spot for the six-time All-Star.
The market for the 36-year-old Bautista has been relatively calm lately, but what we do know is that a continued future with the Toronto Blue Jays remains somewhat uncertain.
It’s unclear where Bautista would fit in on a Dodgers team with Andre Ethier returning from injury, Yasiel Puig appearing to be back in semi-good graces, youngsters Joc Pederson, Andrew Toles, and Trayce Thompson needing playing time, and no designated hitter position to avail of. As such, the veteran slugger landing in Los Angeles seems unlikely but probably not impossible considering that they are the Dodgers after all.
- Jose Bautista
Expect Jose Reyes to be a versatile player next season.
The New York Mets have said they will try Reyes out in the outfield during spring training. On Tuesday, manager Terry Collins said that Reyes could see time in center field.
Terry Collins said Jose Reyes may see some time at CF if needed. They may prep Michael Conforto & Travis d'Arnaud for 1B in event of injury.
— James Wagner (@ByJamesWagner) December 6, 2016
Reyes has typically been a shortstop throughout his career, but he played third base for the Mets after they acquired him from the Rockies. With Asdrubal Cabrera at shortstop and David Wright possibly returning, the Mets will look to move Reyes around in order to get him in the lineup. That’s why they will see how he does in the outfield.
The Mets recently exercised their option on Reyes. He should be a bargain next season making the minimum.
- Filed Under:
- Jose Reyes
The next stop on The Big Ticket’s post-retirement tour? Milwaukee.
According to Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Kevin Garnett attended Bucks practice on Tuesday in a consultant role. The 15-time All-Star big man was also said to be talking with youngsters Giannis Antetokounmpo and Thon Maker.
Kevin Garnett at Bucks practice today in consultant role. Talking now with Giannis and Thon Maker.
— cfgardner (@cf_gardner) December 6, 2016
The 40-year-old Garnett, who announced in September that he was hanging up his sneakers after 21 years in the league, had recently been mentioned as a possible coaching consultant for the Bucks among a number of other teams. Of course, Bucks head coach Jason Kidd coached Garnett for a short time in Brooklyn, where the 2004 NBA MVP was also teammates with current Bucks Jason Terry and Mirza Teletovic.
For the 19-9 Bucks, who have one of the league’s best blends of youth and length, having Garnett tutor their youngbloods as to the finer points of post moves, opponent intimidation, and talking junk would truly be sublime.
- Filed Under:
- Kevin Garnett
Indianapolis Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson has been suspended four games for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing drug use, the league announced on Tuesday.
Jackson, who has not missed a game since he was with the Cleveland Browns in 2009, is arguably the most important player on the Colts’ defense. He has recorded 78 total tackles, one sack and two fumble recoveries on the season.
The Colts are coming off a dominant defensive performance against the New York Jets Monday night, so the timing couldn’t be worse. The suspension will keep Jackson out for the remainder of the regular season. Indianapolis has won three of its last four games and is tied for the lead in the AFC South with a record of 6-6.
Jackson will be eligible to return after the final game of the regular season, so the Colts will have him for the playoffs if they make it that far. However, an already-suspect defense will now be even more tested over the next month.
- D'Qwell Jackson
The Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders will square off this week in one of the most important games of the regular season, and some coaches across the NFL are reportedly unhappy that it is taking place on a Thursday night.
Jason Cole of Bleacher Report spoke to some coaches who feel it is “unfair” that such important games are going to be played on short rest.
“Coaches are increasingly upset with the NFL for scheduling potentially important games between division rivals on such short notice,” Cole said. “As one coach pointed out, the Raiders-Chiefs game could determine not only the winner of the AFC West, but also the No. 1 seed in the AFC. Playing that game on short notice seems unfair to the entire process.”
The schedule-makers have no way of knowing which teams will be in contention in Week 14 and beyond, but the argument is that they should avoid scheduling divisional games just in case. Though, the counter-argument for that could be that at least the Chiefs and Raiders are both playing on short rest. Wouldn’t it be even more unfair if both teams needed a win in Week 14 and one got to play on Sunday?
Aside from getting rid of Thursday night games altogether (and that could be a possibility going forward), there’s no way to eliminate certain teams having to play on short rest. And after a season that was essentially filled with primetime stinkfests, you can bet the NFL is ecstatic that so much will be at stake this Thursday night.