A boxing fight between Kimbo Slice and Roy Jones Jr. is currently being discussed, Larry Brown Sports has confirmed.
A report published in the Jamaica Observer on Saturday said that the two men would be fighting in Montego Bay, Jamaica, in December. The scheduled fight is said to be part of Jamaica’s 50th anniversary celebration, and part of an effort to bring boxing excitement to the island. There was even a press conference on Thursday to make the announcement, and Jones Jr. was in attendance and spoke about facing Slice.
“He’s a big streetfighter with a lot of power, so early in the fight he can be very dangerous… but as the fight goes on, my mental experience should take over. But for the first five rounds he will be very deadly,” Jones said, per the Observer.
Larry Brown Sports reached out to Slice’s promoter, Gary Shaw, over email to ask about the fight. Shaw confirmed to LBS that the fight is being discussed, but he emphasized that there is no deal yet.
Slice, aka Kevin Ferguson, is 38 years old and switched to boxing last year after a brief MMA career. The former street-fighting legend has fought five times since his making his professional boxing debut last August and is 5-0 with four knockouts.
Jones Jr., 43, was once considered one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. He is 7-7 since 2004, and we’ve been calling for him to retire for years.Google+