Quantcast

Prince Fielder admits he has some ‘terrible’ tattoos

Prince-Fielder-tribal-tattoo

Prince Fielder’s shoot with ESPN the Magazine for the Body Issue revealed a lot of what we expected and some of what we didn’t. No, it’s not just baggy clothing — Prince really is a very large man. He also has a variety of tattoos on his torso, some of which he is not very fond of.

“The big tribal one … yeah, that was a mistake,” Fielder admitted. “I wanted tribal, but not like that. The guy I had do it tried to fix it and make it a little better, but the first guy who did it is terrible. I hope he hears this — he’s terrible.”

Fielder also has a strange tattoo on the inside of his right arm, but he has a better excuse for that. Apparently it was a stick figure that his son drew of himself and wanted his dad to turn into a tattoo.

Prince-Fielder-stick-figure-tattoo

When it comes to tattoos, we have seen much, much worse.

Prince Fielder Body Issue picture you’ve all been waiting for

From the moment the news surfaced that Prince Fielder would be appearing in the 2014 edition of ESPN the Magazine’s Body Issue, we know how desperate you all were to see the results. The wait is finally over.

On Tuesday, ESPN released a behind-the-scenes video of Fielder’s shoot for the Body Issue. Darren Rovell also shared one of the photos. Prince naked is pretty much exactly what you would expect, so now is your chance to look away if that’s not something you wanted seared in your memory.

Prince-Fielder-Body-Issue

Prince took some time to chat about his diet with ESPN.

“I don’t like to eat too bad but I just like to eat good food,” he said. “I don’t necessarily like sweets. I just like good food. I guess I’d like to have a 12-pack — that’d be cool.”

Say what you will about Fielder, but he is obviously comfortable in his own skin. He has also made millions of dollars playing a game he loves and was one of the most durable players in baseball prior to his neck injury this season. I think he’s doing just fine.

David Ortiz tells MLB Network to shove it after PED comments

David OrtizDavid Ortiz was not happy that his name came up in connection with the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz PED comments, and he let the media know about it.

Lackey was roped by Nelson Cruz and the Baltimore Orioles on Saturday and voice his displeasure over being hit hard by a guy who was suspended last year for PED-ties. In response, many people have pointed out that Lackey has little room to talk considering one of Boston’s top sluggers — Ortiz — has PED ties as well.

Many forget about it, but Ortiz came up on a list of players who allegedly tested positive for PEDs during anonymous testing in 2003. Ortiz said that the positive test came up as a result of tainted supplements.

With that in mind, a host on MLB Network decided to throw in Ortiz’s name when discussing the Lackey-Cruz beef on Monday. Ortiz happened to see that and vented to WEEI on Monday.

“What pisses me off is the whole thing about, why does my name got to be mentioned in that? What did I have to do with that? I saw on MLB the guys talking about it, and then they brought my name up, and one of the guys said that I got a free pass on that,” Ortiz said according to WEEI.com.

“(The MLB Network host) wants to make it sound like I got a free pass because nobody can point fingers at me directly. But the reason why I got that fake (expletive) free pass that he’s saying is because they pointed fingers at me with no proof. It’s easier to do it that way than having something that they can say, ‘Yes, you did this, you did that.’ My (expletive), I call straight up bull. Let me tell you. You don’t get no free pass here, especially a guy like me. I don’t get no free pass. That free pass B.S. that they want to talk about over there, they can shove it up their (expletive).”

Those were some of the comments from Ortiz — you can read the rest of the rant at WEEI — but you get the point.

Ortiz has never gotten a free pass from me. I was very critical of him when the report of his positive test first came up, and I have remained somewhat suspicious since. He says he has passed multiple drug tests since then, including several already this season. And he certainly didn’t get a free pass from Colin Cowherd last year.

The reason it seems like Ortiz has gotten a free pass is because he wasn’t suspended like Cruz. But there are still plenty of people who have suspicion about him, so I would definitely disagree with MLB Network on that.

Dick Enberg blows call on triple in embarrassing fashion (Video)

Dick EnbergDick Enberg is 79 and still doing play-by-play on a daily basis for the Padres, but his old age has been showing for a while.

In the latest example, Enberg totally blew a call Monday night in which he thought a ball hit by Chase Headley went out of the park for a home run against the Rockies, when it clearly hit off the wall and resulted in a 2-run triple.

Enberg has been the play-by-play man on TV for the Padres since 2010 and was probably a little old for the job when he took it. The guy still has a nice voice to listen to, but he does not do the job the way it’s meant to be done.

H/T Jay Posner, video via @lobshots

Yankees fan Andrew Robert Rector suing ESPN for showing him sleeping on TV

Andrew-Robert-RectorA New York Yankees fan who fell asleep during a game at Yankee Stadium earlier this year has filed a $10 million lawsuit against ESPN. According to the New York Post, Andrew Robert Rector specifically named ESPN anchors John Kruk and Dan Shulman in the lawsuit and has accused them of taunting him.

Rector alleges that Kruk and Shulman spewed an “avalanche of disparaging words” against him and insulted him with words like “stupor, fatty, unintelligent and stupid.” The video above shows Kruk and Shulman mocking Rector, but none of those words were said in that particular clip.

Rector, who admits that he “briefly” fell asleep during the game between the Yankees and Boston Red Sox on April 13, said the play-by-play team taunted him knowing that millions of viewers were tuning in. He claims Kruk and Shulman made “false statements” against him and suggested he “is a fatty cow that need two seats at a time” and “is a confused individual that neither understands nor knows anything about history and the meaning of rivalry between Red Sox and New York Yankee.” Yes, the typos come directly from the lawsuit.

The suit names ESPN, MLB and the Yankees as defendants. The entire complaint can be read at The Smoking Gun.

In all likelihood, Rector’s lawsuit will be dismissed. Just a gut feeling.

H/T Sporting News

John Lackey brings up Nelson Cruz’s PED use after Cruz shells him

John-Lackey-beer-drinking-reports-retardedNelson Cruz had a huge night for the Baltimore Orioles in their 7-4 win over the Boston Red Sox on Saturday night. Cruz went 5-for-5 including a homer, single and double of Red Sox starting pitcher John Lackey. When Lackey was asked about Cruz’s performance after the game, he conveniently hinted at Cruz’s history of performance-enhancing drug use.

“I’m not going to comment on him,” Lackey said, via ESPN.com. “I’ve got nothing to say about him. There are some things I’d like to say, but I’m not going to. You guys forget pretty conveniently about stuff.”

Nice try, John, but you already said plenty. Players who have never cheated have every right to feel bitter toward Cruz in the wake of his 50-game suspension last season. The 34-year-old slugger accepted his punishment and served the ban, but that doesn’t mean everyone is forced to forgive him.

That said, Lackey made himself look bad by pulling the “yeah, but he’s a cheater” card after Cruz teed off on him. Had Cruz gone 0-for-3 with three strikeouts against Lackey, we all know there would have been no mention of his involvement with Biogenesis.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter was later asked about Lackey’s comments on ESPN Radio’s “Mike Lupica Show.”

“There’s so many insinuations, quite frankly, about people in every club. You usually don’t hear those comments after a shutout or something,” Showalter said. I mean [Lackey's] doing really well. He’s up throwing 93, 95 again and he’s got one of the top ERAs in the American League, which with the DH means all of baseball. He’s a good pitcher, so God bless him. He was good yesterday.”

Lackey has always been outspoken about PED use. Last year, he said Alex Rodriguez should not be allowed to play while he appealed his 211-game suspension. This time around, Lackey’s comments just reeked of sour grapes.

Justin Verlander thinks A’s made blockbuster trade with Tigers in mind

Justin VerlanderOn Friday, the Oakland A’s and Chicago Cubs agreed to deal that strengthens one of the best starting rotation in the American League, with Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel being the main pieces.

After taking some criticism for the signing of Jim Johnson, A’s general manager Billy Beane made a big splash by improving his team’s chances for making a deep postseason run.

Speaking of the postseason, the Detroit Tigers have been the end of the road for the A’s each of the last two seasons, knocking Oakland out in the American League Division Series both years. Among those who had a hand in helping the Tigers advance is Justin Verlander.

The former Cy Young Award winner weighed in on Oakland’s recent trade and thinks it was done with his team in mind.

The Tigers and A’s each have 3.5 game leads in their respective divisions at the moment, albeit with a lot of baseball yet to be played. While there’s no guarantee each will make the playoffs, it would be fun to watch a series with the arms in the starting rotation each team possesses. It would have my attention for sure.