pixel 1
header
Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Boxing

Sergey Kovalev knocked out by Eleider Alvarez in surprising loss

Eleider Alvarez knockdown

Sergey Kovalev was shockingly beaten by Eleider Alvarez at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City on Saturday night, and the defeat came in convincing fashion.

Alvarez, now 25-0 in his career, scored three knockdowns in the 7th round before the fight was finally stopped. Here’s a look at all three:

The first knockdown came on a stiff right-hand from Alvarez that landed squarely on Kovalev’s face. As the commentators noted in the video, the Russian never seemed to recover from that punch. He took a long count before continuing, and then he hit the canvas a second time in the round after a 1-2 combo from Alvarez. The fight probably should have been stopped after that, but Kovalev was allowed to continue. He lasted mere seconds before being dropped a third time, which is when the fight was finally stopped.

Kovalev, now 32-3-1, has lost three of his last five fights (the other two losses came to Andre Ward). He lost his IBA and WBO light heavyweight title belts in the defeat and seems to be on his way down in his career. Meanwhile, the 34-year-old Alvarez has put together three straight impressive wins coming over Lucian Bute, Jean Pascal, and now Kovalev.

Floyd Mayweather interested in promoting, not fighting Manny Pacquiao

Floyd Mayweather

Manny Pacquiao may be interested in a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr, but it sounds like “Money” is interested in something else.

Mayweather spoke with FightHype.com and expressed interest in promoting the Filipino fighter.

“Actually, I’m gonna get on the phone with Pacquiao after I get off this call and get in touch. And we can put him in position and get him some…[there’s] a lot of good competition out there that he could fight,” Mayweather said.

Following his victory over Lucas Matthysse last month, Pac-Man said he was open to a rematch with Mayweather. Floyd hasn’t fought since beating Conor McGregor last year and probably has no interest in putting himself against a dangerous opponent like Manny. Instead he’s focusing on his promotional career.

Pacquiao probably would have little interest in having Floyd promote him; Manny recently split with Top Rank and is promoting himself, perhaps as part of his cost-cutting measures. What would he gain from letting Floyd promote him?

Mikey Garcia calls out Errol Spence Jr after unifying lightweight title

Mikey Garcia disposed of one undefeated titleholder on Saturday night, and now he has his sights set on another.

Garcia defeated Robert Easter Jr in a 12-round unanimous decision victory to unify the lightweight title. In his post-fight interview with Showtime’s Jim Gray, Garcia said that he wanted to fight Errol Spence Jr next.

For his part, Spence fired back at Garcia with some trash talk of his own.

The 30-year-old Garcia improved to a perfect 39-0 with the victory Saturday. Meanwhile, Spence, who is the current IBF welterweight champion and two years Garcia’s junior, is himself a perfect 24-0. He also just knocked out Carlos Ocampo in the first round during his last bout in June.

While Garcia would have to move up in weight in order to fight Spence, it would certainly be a crowd-pleasing bout between two of the sport’s brightest up-and-coming stars (not to mention two fighters who love to entertain).

Manny Pacquiao was hospitalized week before fight with heart issue

Manny Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao was hospitalized a week before his fight with Lucas Matthysse with a heart issue, according to a report.

PhilBoxing.com’s Aquiles Z. Zonio reported on Thursday that Pac-Man was quietly taken to the hospital on July 8, a week before his fight against Matthysse. Pacquiao underwent testing, including an angiogram that revealed an inborn hearth ailment.

Doctors did not want Pacquiao to fight Matthysse after the condition was discovered, so the Filipino boxer and politician signed a waiver before his fight. He left for his trip to Kuala Lumpur on July 9, a day after his testing.

According to Zonio, only a few members of Pacquiao went with him to the hospital for the testing. They all kept it quiet and didn’t even tell Pac-Man’s family so as not to worry them.

Despite the scare and hospitalization, Pacquiao was not slowed in the ring. He beat Matthysse by technical knockout, marking his first knockout win since 2009.

Manny Pacquiao interested in rematch against Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather Manny Pacquiao

It has been more than three years since Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. finally squared off in a match that seemed like it would never actually take place, and Pacquiao is ready to do it all over again.

Pacquiao picked up his 60th career win and captured the WBA welterweight title when he defeated Lucas Matthysse by TKO on Sunday, and he said he is very open to defending the belt against Mayweather.

“Mayweather? If he decides to go back to boxing then that is the time we are going to call the shots,” Pacquiao told reporters when asked about a possible rematch, according to ESPN 5. “I have the belt, so it’s up to him. If he wants to come back in boxing let’s do a second one.”

Pacquiao is 39, but he insists the way he trained for the Matthysse is sustainable. He looked like his old self in the fight and threw threw punches in flurries, so it makes sense that he is willing to keep going. If Mayweather — who is 41 and has not fought since his mega-bout against Conor McGregor last summer — isn’t up for it, there has been talk of Pacquiao possibly fighting Amir Khan.

“Yes that’s a potential opponent; Amir Khan,” he said. “There’s a lot of potential opponents there, like Lomachenko, there are so many fighters that have potential to be my opponent next.”

While there were some questions about how much effort Matthysse was putting forth, there’s no denying Pacquiao is still in great shape. Mayweather has seemingly kept in top physical condition as well, but a rematch between the two seems highly unlikely.

Watch: Manny Pacquiao scores phantom knockdown in win

Manny Pacquiao Lucas Matthysse

Manny Pacquiao scored three knockdowns total in his WBA welterweight title fight win over Lucas Matthysse on Sunday morning in Kuala Lumpur, although one of the knockdowns was extremely questionable.

In the fifth round of the fight, Matthysse went down with seconds left in the round. He took a knee as a delayed reaction even though replays showed he wasn’t even hit.

Was there something else earlier that had bothered him and caused the delayed reaction? Who knows, but that was odd.

Pac-Man did look like his old self during the fight. He showed quickness and threw punches in flurries, including an uppercut that landed and knocked Matthysse down in the third. He also dropped Matthysse in the seventh to end the fight via TKO.

Looking at his behavior during the final two knockdowns, Matthysse just did not seem to have any desire or heart to continue in the fight.

The win was Pacquiao’s first by knockout since 2009. He is now 60-7-2 with 39 knockouts in his career.

Floyd Mayweather being sued by Nigerian company for $2 million

Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather Jr. may be done with his boxing career, but the 15-time champion still collects plenty of money from endorsement deals and public appearances. The latter only work if Mayweather shows up, and one overseas company claims he took money from them without holding up his end of the bargain.

According to a report from TMZ, Mayweather is being sued by a Nigerian media company that claims it paid Mayweather $210,000 as a deposit for five appearances he was supposed to make in Ghana and Nigeria in 2017. The company, Zinni Media, claims it was going to pay Mayweather a total of $375,000 for the appearances and that he recorded a video to confirm them, but he bailed days before the first event.

Mayweather’s representatives apparently offered to reschedule, so they added more appearances and raised the price to $510,000. He still never showed, and Zinni is now suing Floyd for $2 million. Here’s more:

In the suit, Zinni claims Floyd’s reps offered to reschedule for Dec. 2017 — and added more appearances to the list — but, he also raised the price to $550,000. Zinni claims they were told they could use the $210k toward the new booking price.

Zinni says they ACCEPTED the new deal — but, when they asked Floyd to make a new video confirming the new dates, he bailed again … and never returned the original $210,000.

Now, Zinni is taking legal action in federal court in California — claiming Floyd damaged their reputation and defrauded them. Zinni wants at least $2 MILLION to make things right.

When you take into consideration all the money Mayweather has made and the big purchase he is reportedly looking into, it’s obvious $2 million or any type of settlement he might be forced to pay would not set him back much. Still, that’s not a great look if the allegations in the lawsuit are true.

Page 1 of 14412345...