pixel 1
header
Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Everything Else

Iconic ‘Field of Dreams’ baseball field vandalized by car

The grounds people who are in charge of keeping up the iconic “Field of Dreams” ballpark in Iowa will have a lot of work to do before baseball games are played there again, as the field was vandalized this week.

In a post on Tuesday, the official “Field of Dreams Movie Site” Facebook page revealed that someone drove onto the field with a car and tore up the turf. Photos showed deep tread marks in both the infield and outfield.

Denise Stillman, the owner of the property that was used in the 1989 film “Field of Dreams,” anticipates that the vandals caused thousands of dollars in damage. She called the act “upsetting,” and field manager Al Steffen said the recent weather in Dyersville, Iowa made the situation worse.

“There are gashes up to four inches deep in the outfield,” Steffen told John Kruse of the Telegraph Herald. “Whoever did it was really able to dig in.”

The park is scheduled to host games in just over two months, so the timing is not ideal. Stillman said the sprinkler system was damaged in addition to the grass, and repairs could take an entire season to complete. Despite that, the field will remain open to the public.

“A lot of people travel (from) all over the world to come see the Field of Dreams, and they don’t always check Facebook to make sure we are open,” Stillman said. “We’ll just have to keep operating as is.”

Idiots are everywhere, unfortunately.

Youth basketball team kicked out of league for racist and offensive jerseys

basketball

A youth basketball team in Cincinnati will no longer be allowed to take part in its recreational league after players wore customized jerseys featuring racist and inappropriate phrases on them.

Tony Rue, a parent who sometimes coaches the West Clermont team in the Cincinnati Premier Youth Basketball League, noticed last month that kids from the Kings Mills team had inappropriate phrases printed on their jerseys. Rue’s wife pointed out on Sunday that the Kings team was calling itself the “Wet Dream Team,” and the jersey name plates had racist phrases like “Coon” and “Knee Grow.”

“This isn’t a typo, this isn’t a mistake, these are ideas that were thought of, discussed, agreed upon by adults and kids alike, printed on uniforms…and no one thought this was a bad idea or inappropriate?” Rue wrote on Facebook, according to Chris Mayhew of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

After its fourth week in the league, the Kings team was finally kicked out when a West Clermont representative stepped in to speak to referees during the second quarter of Sunday’s game.

“It was so blatant that it had to be fake,” Rue said. “Sadly it wasn’t.”

The game was called and the players were sent home. Dawn Gould, a spokesperson for the Kings Local School District, said Monday that the team was not associated with the school district but could not say whether any students would be disciplined.

“Today we became aware of inappropriate conduct from a team of students participating in a recreational basketball league that is not affiliated with the Kings Local School District,” Gould said in a statement. “This team has been restricted from any further use of district facilities. Kings Local Schools strongly condemns any type of hateful and racist commentary. This behavior is in no way welcome or tolerated in our schools and community.”

The coordinator for Kings Rec Basketball 7-12 also condemned the inappropriate uniforms.

“When I learned of the uniform infractions last night the team involved was immediately removed from the league and will not be returning to play this season,” Charrise Middleton said. “Kings Rec Basketball for grades 7-12 does not in any way support or condone the uniform infractions that occurred. We strictly follow and support the rules set out by CPYBL and fully support their decision to remove the team from play as well.”

The team’s coach also issued a statement to “sincerely apologize to anyone that was offended by the jerseys,” though its hard to understand why they were allowed in the first place. Rue said players on his son’s team were disappointed that the game was called but learned a valuable lesson.

“They were very unhappy when it was called, not because of the game ending but because another team’s dumb decisions caused them to play just over a quarter of basketball,” Rue said. “They learned nothing basketball-wise, they had to learn more about racism and stupidity.”

Rumors are swirling that one of the most controversial professional leagues in American sports history could be coming back, and even they wouldn’t allow some of the phrases that were printed on the jerseys of children.

Craig Sager Jr. says he and sisters were left out of father’s will

Craig Sager ESPYS

Craig Sager Jr., the son of late sports reporter Craig Sager Sr., expressed frustration on Twitter Tuesday over an ongoing situation involving his family and his father’s will.

Sager Jr. tweeted that he and his sisters were left out of his father’s will. Although that’s something that would bother many children, Sager Jr. says the real issue is that they are being taken to court over the will.

Sager Jr. is one of three children Sager Sr. had with his first wife, Lisa. Kacy and Krista are the two other children. Sager Sr. later married another woman, Stacy, with whom he had two children — Ryan and Riley.

Kacy Sager tweeted her support for brother Craig exposing some of the issues they’ve been dealing with.

So what exactly are the issues dividing the family?

Brenna Simon, the ex-girlfriend of Craig Jr., sent several tweets exposing Craig Sr.’s second wife for being an alleged homewrecker.

Simon’s comment about giving them extra time has to do with Craig Jr. donating bone marrow to his father, which helped Craig Sr. live longer before succumbing to leukemia. She says Craig Jr. was even left in medical debt as a result.

Simon made a few other claims about Sager Sr.’s second wife, Stacy. Simon claims Stacy wouldn’t let Sager’s first wife attend the funeral and wouldn’t let Sager’s first three children visit their father the day before he passed.

The entire situation sounds awful and ugly. It must be especially difficult considering it’s coming a little over a year after Sager Sr.’s death.

Sports world reacts to tragic mass shooting in Las Vegas

Mandalay Bay hotel

At least 50 people were killed and more than 200 are wounded following a mass shooting in Las Vegas that was the deadliest in United States history.

The shooting took place at a country music festival. A man, believed to be 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, committed suicide after he repeatedly opened fire on a crowd of concert-goers for what witnesses described as a period of 10 minutes. He fired the shots from his 32nd floor hotel room at the Mandalay Bay resort and casino. Horrifying doesn’t begin to describe the scene, and already we are seeing reactions from cross the sports world.

Former MLB pitcher Mike Timlin was at the event, but fortunately he tweeted that he and the group of people he was with were not harmed:

British tennis star Laura Robson also attended the concert. She confirmed to the Irish Independent that she was safe and well on Monday morning.

On days like these, sports seem so trivial. Our thoughts are with any and all who have been affected by this unthinkable tragedy.

  • Tags:

Snoop Dogg’s son wants to work for Big Baller Brand

Snoop Cordell Broadus UCLA

If LaVar Ball ever needs help designing new shoes for Big Baller Brand, he can look no further than the son of famous rapper Snoop Dogg.

After enrolling at UCLA with the intention of playing football, Cordell Broadus has since turned his attention to the world of fashion. From afar, Broadus appears to be a fan of what LaVar Ball is doing with his Big Baller Brand and even offered his services to the family-owned company.

“I love the Big Baller Brand, but I think they can use some of my help,” Broadus told TMZ Sports. “I want to help design some stuff for them,” he continued.

Big Baller Brand has been churning out products and probably won’t be slowing down anytime soon. Lonzo has is own signature shoe. So does his younger brother LaMelo, who is still in high school. An edition for LaVar can’t be far off.

The collaboration with Cordell Broadus may not materialize, but the relationship between LaVar Ball and Snoop Dogg looks to be just fine.

#triplebs #bigballerbrand

A post shared by Lavar Ball (@lavar) on

Tiger Woods, Lindsey Vonn get website to remove nude photos

Lindsey Vonn Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods, Lindsey Vonn and other celebrities have scored a minor victory as they seek justice against those responsible for the hacking, leaking, and publishing of their intimate nude photos online.

On Tuesday, a website posted numerous personal photos of celebrities that appear to have been obtained via hacking. The photos were all intimate in nature, many of which showed the celebrities in various states of nudity. The leaking of these hacked photos was similar to the infamous 2014 hacking that saw multiple celebrities have their privacy violated as nude photos were posted of them on the internet.

Outraged after having their personal photos hacked and published online, many of the celebrities, including Vonn and Woods, hired a legal team to represent them. The legal team succeeded in getting the photos removed from the website that initially published the pictures.

Attorney Andrew Brettler of Lavely & Singer is seeking more accountability for the hackers and websites that obtained and posted the photos.

“The hackers responsible for these despicable invasions of privacy should be prosecuted, and the websites that post the stolen photographs and videos should be held accountable, too, because they provide a platform for these lowlifes to showcase their ‘work,’” Brettler told Variety.

The website that removed the photos has since added in written commentary in which they were unapologetic, rude and crude and made themselves out to seem like the victims.

Two men received prison sentences (of 18 and nine months in length) in 2016 for the 2014 celebrity hacking case.

Jordan Leandre sends funny tweets after botching first pitch (Video)

Jordan Leandre pitch

Boston Red Sox fan Jordan Leandre sent some really funny tweets after his botched ceremonial first pitch prior to Wednesday’s Red Sox-Cardinals game went viral.

Leandre, a Ewing’s sarcoma survivor who sang the national anthem and ran the bases around Fenway Park as a kid, threw out the first pitch while surrounded by the 1967 Red Sox. He sailed his pitch over his catcher, and it hit a photographer in the nuggets.

Leandre maintained his sense of humor despite the embarrassing throw,

You have to appreciate someone who’s able to laugh at himself.

Page 2 of 17612345...