Quantcast

LeSean McCoy: ‘I own Dallas’

LeSean McCoy is exactly what the NFC East needs in a star running back. The 26-year-old has played in one of football’s most competitive divisions long enough to know that toying with the opposition is all part of the game. He gave us another example of that on Thursday.

LeSean McCoyBam, shots fired. McCoy is starting the smack talk already and Week 1 of the preseason isn’t even in the books. Last year during a radio interview before Philadelphia’s Week 17 matchup against Dallas, McCoy told listeners that the Eagles were going to “manhandle the Cowgirls.” Philly went on to squeak out a 24-22 victory, so there wasn’t exactly any manhandling.

Overall, I’d say McCoy is wrong. Philly is 4-7 against the Cowboys since the former Pittsburgh star joined the Eagles in 2009. McCoy only rushed for 55 yards on 18 attempts during his first meeting with Dallas last year, though he did rack up 131 yards on the ground in Week 17 en route to winning this impressive championship belt.

Even if the facts don’t back it up, the NFC East could always use more trash talk. Gone are the days when at least one playoff-caliber team from the division was left out of the postseason. The Eagles and Cowboys square off in Weeks 13 and 15 this season. Maybe they’ll surprise us.

H/T Dallas Morning News

David Wilson reportedly ‘needs a miracle’ to play football again

David Wilson GiantsNew York Giants running back David Wilson suffered a setback during Tuesday’s practice in his recovery from spinal fusion surgery. The 23-year-old is scheduled to meet with a doctor on Monday, and one report is anticipating that he may not receive good news.

According to Jordan Raanan and Conor Orr of NJ.com, a person with knowledge of Wilson’s medical condition says he would “need a miracle” to be cleared to play football again. Wilson himself seemed far more optimistic in a post he made on social media.

“Left practice early yesterday but everything turned out to be fine once the Dr. Looked @ me plus I passed all physical examination,” he wrote on Instagram Tuesday. “I find out more on Monday #gottagetback #pocketrocket.”

There was some fear back when Wilson first suffered the neck injury that he might not play again, but he seemed to be doing well with his rehab prior to this week. It would be an absolute shame if the former first-round pick is unable to get back onto the field. Wilson has a very promising career.

Did Jamaal Charles literally break Sanders Commings’ ankle with open-field move?

Jamaal CharlesJamaal Charles has some of the best open-field moves in football. The Kansas City Chiefs running back has lightning speed and is borderline unstoppable in space. Unfortunately, one of his teammates may have learned that the hard way earlier this week.

On Thursday, Andy Reid announced that Chiefs defensive back Sanders Commings underwent surgery to repair a broken ankle that he suffered during Wednesday’s practice. Couple that with the following tidbit of information and I think we all know what happened.

Saying that a player “broke an opponent’s ankles” is one of the most overused phrases in basketball and football. But if anyone can actually do it, Charles would be the guy. We’re not saying he should be proud of causing a teammate to break his ankle or anything like that, but if that’s really what happened it’s an amazing reflection of Charles’ skill set.

H/T Around the League

Dustin Johnson once linked to drugs

dustin-johnsonUPDATE: Dustin Johnson has reportedly been suspended for six months for testing positive for cocaine. Full story here.

Dustin Johnson announced on Thursday that he is taking a leave of absence from golf. The 30-year-old said he is seeking professional help to deal with some personal issues but did not get into specifics.

“I am taking a leave of absence from professional golf, effective immediately,” Johnson said, via USA Today Sports. “I will use this time to seek professional help for personal challenges I have faced. By committing the time and resources necessary to improve my mental health, physical well-being and emotional foundation, I am confident that I will be better equipped to fulfill my potential and become a consistent champion.

“I respectfully ask my fans, well-wishers and the media for privacy as I embark upon this mission of self-improvement.”

[Related: Dustin Johnson allegedly had sex with another PGA Tour player's wife]

Last year, Vijay Singh filed a lawsuit against the PGA Tour after he was suspended for violating the tour’s anti-doping program. Singh felt that he was being targeted after several players had violated the same policy but were only told by the PGA Tour to stop using certain substances.

Singh’s lawyers requested any information related to a “possible or actual violation of the drug program” by five golfers — Doug Barron, Mark Calcavecchia, Scott Verplank, Matt Every and Johnson. Barron, Calcavecchia and Every all had known violations, but it is unclear why Singh’s lawyers included Verplank and Johnson.

Johnson later dismissed Singh’s probe in an interview with the Golf Channel, saying he doesn’t know why Singh would single him out and that there is “nothing there.” He also said he has never been reprimanded by the PGA Tour for any drug-related violation.

Under the Tour’s anti-doping policy, drug violations involving anything deemed to be a performance-enhancing substance are made public. Violations that have to do with recreational drugs are not.

David Price thought trade deadline passed (Video)

David-Price-Arbitration-Derek-Jeter-HouseDavid Price is the most popular name on the trade market now that the Boston Red Sox have traded Jon Lester to the Oakland A’s for Yoenis Cespedes. Just don’t tell him that, because the 28-year-old lefty is under the impression that the non-waiver trade deadline has already passed.

Price looked puzzled on Wednesday when a reporter asked him if he has something fun planned for Thursday to take his mind off the trade rumors leading up to the 4 p.m. deadline.

“No, I didn’t,” Price said. “I thought it ended today at 4:00, so…”

Another reporter pointed out that the deadline isn’t until Thursday afternoon, which was apparently news to Price.

“Oh, is it? Alright, that’s fine,” he said. “Um, no, I’m playing golf. I put my phone in my bag when I play, so I won’t even know, honestly.”

Either Price did a phenomenal job of trolling reporters or there may be something to that recent story we saw that implied he is a pothead. I’m not surprised Price tunes out trade rumors, as he has been involved in so many over the past two seasons that have amounted to nothing. Still, you don’t really have to pay close attention to know when the deadline passes.

And then there was this:

I think Price is just trying to have fun with everyone. It’s working.

Video via Cork Gaines

Antonio Brown on Emmanuel Sanders’ Ben Roethlisberger comments: ‘That was terrible’

Antonio Brown Emmanuel Sanders

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown is not happy with ex-teammate Emmanuel Sanders for his comments made about Ben Roethlisberger.

Sanders, who spent four seasons with the Steelers before signing with the Broncos in March, compared his new quarterback with his old quarterback and enumerated the ways Peyton Manning is a better leader than Big Ben. That all didn’t sit well with Brown, who is one of the top receivers on the Steelers.

“That was terrible,” Brown said of Sanders’ comments. “You don’t throw your QB under the bus, the guy who made you who you are.”

SI’s Don Banks reports Brown says he contacted Sanders.

Again, this was another case where the comments and headlines probably make Sanders’ comments look worse than they were. He was really just praising Manning and talking about the way the quarterback spends so much extra time outside of practice trying to be great. Roethlisberger isn’t as good as Manning, and the extra work Peyton puts in could just be an extra reason why.

Big Ben shouldn’t take offense to the comments and should use them as motivation to work even harder. Brown is just being a good teammate by defending his guy.

Sanders, for his part, addressed his comments via Twitter Monday:

Richard Sherman takes jab at Patrick Peterson after Peterson’s extension

Patrick PetersonPatrick Peterson announced on Tuesday night that he has signed a five-year, $70 million contract extension with the Arizona Cardinals. This next piece of information may shock you — Richard Sherman did not congratulate him.

Peterson’s deal, which he says includes $48 million guaranteed, is one year longer than the four-year, $56 million extension Sherman signed and includes $8 million more in guaranteed money at the same average annual value. After Peterson’s deal was announced, Sherman had a pretty timely retweet.

Richard-Sherman-Patrick-Peterson

Peterson then tweeted something that was clearly directed toward Sherman, and Sherman responded the only way he knows how.

We’re not surprised Sherman threw shade at Peterson, as Peterson tried to increase his leverage with the Cardinals by saying he is a better cornerback than Sherman and criticizing Sherman’s game. In reality, both are tremendous players who deserve to be paid at or near the top of their position. Just don’t expect either to admit that about his counterpart.

H/T Jimmy Traina’s Big Buzz