Quantcast

Oklahoma LB Frank Shannon accused of sexual assault but he denies it

Frank ShannonOklahoma linebacker Frank Shannon missed practice Thursday and did not play in the team’s spring game Saturday for “personal reasons,” and now we know why: he’s been accused of sexual assault.

Shannon, who led the Sooners with 92 tackles as a sophomore last season, is accused of trying to force a woman to have sex with him at his apartment on Jan. 20, The Oklahoman reports. Shannon denies that is the case and believes the woman either intended to set him up or filed the report as revenge for him not sleeping with her.

According to the complaint which was obtained by The Oklahoman, Shannon offered a woman a ride home after a party, but they stopped off at his apartment first. She alleges that inside his bedroom, he came up to her from behind, pulled down her pants and attempted to have sex with her. She claims he became frustrated when she wouldn’t have sex with him. Shannon supposedly went to the bathroom after asking if the woman was menstruating and she said yes. That’s when she left and met a friend outside, whom she texted to come get her. The friend called police.

Shannon told the police a different story.

Shannon told police that the woman got on top of him, kissed him and removed her clothes. Shannon says he asked if the woman was menstruating and that they argued about it. He says he left to the bathroom after.

Shannon told police that the woman either was setting him up for the rape charge or is getting revenge because she was embarrassed that he wouldn’t have sex with her.

The woman allegedly told her friend over text message that she was raped. The friend allegedly texted back an apology for calling police, saying she only wanted to protect the friend.

Once again, this is another case of whom do you believe? For now, Oklahoma appears to be taking the proper approach by not having Shannon participate in practice or games while the incident is being investigated.

Minnesota State football players refusing to practice under reinstated coach Todd Hoffner

Todd Hoffner MankatoA big situation is developing with the Minnesota State Mankato football team, which received news this week that Todd Hoffner has been reinstated as the program’s head football coach.

Hoffner was 34-13 in four seasons as head coach at Mankato, but he was removed from the practice field and arrested in Aug. 2012 after a video of his children playing around naked was found on his cellphone. He was charged with child porn, but the charges were dropped by a judge. Hoffner was still reassigned and eventually fired by Mankato last year.

Hoffner was hired in January by Minot State in North Dakota, but an arbitrator ruled that he was wrongly fired and that he could return to his Mankato job if he wanted to. He decided to return on Tuesday.

“I’m eager to return to the game and the program that I helped build,” Hoffner said Tuesday. “This is what I wanted from Day 1, and now I have the opportunity to go back, and I believe it’s the right thing to do for my family and myself.”

Though Hoffner has been reinstated, there is one big problem: the program has been operating under a different head coach since his 2012 arrest, and they’re refusing to play under Hoffner.

The MSU Reporter says the members of the football team refused to practice under Hoffner Wednesday and instead read a statement in which they expressed support for previous coach Aaron Keen.

“As a collective unit, we’ve all agreed that we will stick together and show our support in having Aaron Keen as the head football coach at Minnesota State University, Mankato,” junior safety Sam Thompson said in the statement.

Thompson continued: “We’ve all become outstanding community members, students and athletes in the last year and a half since the removal of Todd Hoffner. Throughout this process, we have been silent, it is time our voice is heard. We want information, we want answers, because this is our team. As a unit we have decided not to practice, because of the change-up in the coaching situation.”

The last line of the statement said that the players want Keen as their head coach. They then stormed off the field, according to the MSU Reporter, which says three players did show up in practice clothes.

Here was a tweet sent by tight end Matt Murphy:

Though Hoffner being reinstated seems like the fair solution, it’s a cumbersome one that is impractical in real life. The players have been working under a different coach to whom they have loyalty. And why should Keen be removed from his job?

We’re too far along in this messy situation to go backwards. Hoffner should probably just stay at Minot State and know that Mankato screwed him over. Going back does not seem like the solution.

Johnny Manziel’s girlfriend could be Kyndal Kyaire

Johnny-Manziel-Kyndal-Kyaire

Johnny Manziel was sitting behind home plate at the Texas Rangers game on Tuesday night, but the internet was more concerned with the lovely lady who was sitting next to him. Naturally, the folks at Busted Coverage quickly determined that the woman accompanying Manziel was a model from San Diego named Kyndal Kyaire.

Could Manziel have simply been going to the game with a friend? Yes, but let’s remember the former Texas A&M star has been known to date models. Also, I would never do this with my buddy at the ballpark.

If Manziel and Kyaire can be classified as “just friends,” I need to get me one of those.

Photo: Twitter/Nate’s Rangers Notes

Braves getting racist fan mail about Hank Aaron

Hank-AaronAnyone who has seen the movie “42″ has a pretty decent understanding of the type of hateful fan mail the Los Angeles Dodgers received when they made Jackie Robinson the first African-American player in Major League Baseball. Threats and racist letters toward black players continued right into the 1950s, 60s and 70s. Unfortunately, they still exist today.

Hank Aaron told Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports last week that he keeps his hate mail as a reminder that racism is still very much an issue. He used president Barack Obama as an example.

“A lot of things have happened in this country, but we have so far to go,”Aaron said. “There’s not a whole lot that has changed. We can talk about baseball. Talk about politics. Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he’s treated.”

“We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements, but we still have a long ways to go in the country. The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts.”

Nightengale later specified that Aaron was not comparing Republicans to the Ku Klux Klan, rather simply stating that anyone would be a fool to think racism is a thing of the past. That hasn’t prevented the Atlanta Braves from receiving a new wave of racist hate mail over the past week.

“Hank Aaron is a scumbag piece of (expletive) (racial slur)” a man named Edward says in an e-mail to the Braves front office obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

Edward invokes the epithet five times in four sentences, closing with, “My old man instilled in my mind from a young age, the only good (racial slur) is a dead (racial slur).” …

… Marion calls Aaron a “racist scumbag.” Ronald won’t attend another Braves game until Aaron is fired. Mark calls Aaron a “classless racist.” David says that he will burn Aaron’s I Had A Hammer autobiography.

Here we are 40 years later, and the only difference is bigots don’t have to write their letters by hand. The hate mail is less frequent, but the fact that it still exists is embarrassing.

H/T Deadspin

Jared Lorenzen cracks hilarious joke about NCAA food rule

Jared-Lorenzen-fat

Thanks in part to UConn guard Shabazz Napier complaining that he goes to bed “starving” at night while college sports are bringing in millions of dollars, the NCAA’s legislative council approved a proposal on Tuesday that will expand the meal allowance for all athletes. Under the new rules, athletes will have access to unlimited meals and snacks through their schools.

Enter Jared Lorenzen, who is by far our favorite Continental Indoor Football League quarterback. The former Kentucky star scrambles around and completes passes at a cool 320 pounds. And as you might expect, he is jealous of the new food rule.

If the rule was in place while Lorenzen was still in school, he wouldn’t be a quarterback in any league right now. He’d be on one of those A&E specials called “My 750 Pound Life.” Limited meals was a blessing in disguise for Jared.

Photo: Twitter/Kyle Scott

Rolando McClain was late to workout with Ravens, did not complete conditioning test

Rolando McClainA little over a month ago, it was reported Roland McClain was going to attempt to make a comeback and continue his NFL career.

The eighth overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft was signed by the Baltimore Ravens last year after being cut by the Oakland Raiders. Within two weeks, McClain was arrested for the third time in 17 months. Shortly after, he decided to retire.

Now apparently ready to get back to playing football, Rolando McClain was scheduled to hold a workout with the Ravens on Tuesday. Unfortunately, it did not go well.

For starters, McClain was late arriving, according to NFL.com’s Aditi Kinkhabwala. Then, he did not complete the conditioning test.

Obviously, this is less than ideal for a guy who hasn’t appeared in an NFL game since November 2012 and is trying to earn himself a place on a roster.

It sounds as though Rolando McClain has taken steps to get his life back on track, enrolling at the University of Alabama to continue his education. We can only hope if the attempt at an NFL comeback falls short that McClain’s life away from the football field continues down a positive path.

Jon Jones claims he was hacked after anti-gay Instagram comments

Jon Jones beltJon Jones sent a tweet Tuesday night saying he was hacked and pleading his innocence hours after a kid on Instagram claimed that the UFC star wrote homophobic comments on his pictures.

The person making the accusations is an MMA fan named Daniel Javid, who goes by “Champagnedanii” on Instagram and boasts in his bio that he’s an a–hole.

On Tuesday, Javid posted a screenshot of what he says are name-calling, homophobic comments Jones left on his Instagram pictures.

“Jon Jones stalked me on insta through twitter, blocked me & called me a fag 5 times. @AlexTheMauler knock him out – #ufc #jonjones #alexandergustafsson” the person wrote on Instagram.

He included this screenshot, which shows homosexual-related comments Jones’ account left on his pictures:

Jon Jones Instagram

What prompted everything? Javid sent this tweet and the same comment on Instagram to Jones just before the Instagram messages came:

Javid told LBS that he was born and raised in Sweden and is a big fan of MMA star Alexander Gustafsson. The Gustafsson angle is likely why Jones had so much hostility towards him.

Jones tried to clear everything up with this tweet:

Are you buying it? Javid doesn’t believe he was hacked. He points out that Jones posted a picture of himself on Instagram a few hours after the comments on his picture came, which is a sign to him that Jones was still controlling the account.

H/T MiddleEasy via tipster KrisBrewski