Quantcast

Jermaine O’Neal reportedly confronted Blake Griffin after game

Jermaine-ONeal-Blake-GriffinThe Los Angeles Clippers and Golden State Warriors have quickly developed a hatred for one another. There seems to be an incident every time the two teams get together, and Wednesday night was no exception. Early in the fourth quarter of LA’s 111-98 victory, Jermaine O’Neal was assessed a technical foul for saying something to Blake Griffin as he walked to the bench. The exchange continued after the final whistle.

According to Brad Turner of the LA Times, O’Neal confronted Griffin in the hallway after the game and the two briefly stood face to face.

“Why you want to walk up on me?” Griffin reportedly asked O’Neal. “Leave that (stuff) on the court.”

O’Neal responded that he is a “monster” off the court and the exchange ended. Griffin had no interest in talking about what happened when reporters asked him about it.

Nah,” he said. “That’s between me and him.”

Arash Markazi of ESPNLosAngeles.com said the confrontation was blown out of proportion.

Remember, these are the same two teams who refuse to even hold chapel together before games. NBA fans should be crossing their fingers that the Clippers and Warriors meet in the playoffs.

Richard Sherman, LeGarrette Blount go at it on Twitter over league’s best CB

Richard-Sherman-interviewRichard Sherman will not be satisfied until every human being on earth thinks he is the best cornerback in the NFL. That determination is what makes him an All-Pro, but unfortunately he is never going to get his way. There will always be people like former New England Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount who have their own opinion.

Earlier this week, Blount congratulated Aqib Talib on signing a monster contract with the Denver Broncos. In doing so, Blount tweeted that Talib deserved ever penny because he is the best defensive back in the league. Of course, Sherman couldn’t let that go. The debate took off from there.

[Read more...]

Michelle Beadle ‘honored’ to be paralyzed teen Jack Jablonski’s prom date

Jack Jablonski Michelle Beadle

Jack Jablonski is definitely going to have the coolest date at his high school prom.

Jablonski, a teenager who was paralyzed from the chest down after being checked into the boards head-first during a high school hockey game in 2011, asked ESPN personality Michelle Beadle to his prom Wednesday, and she said yes.

Jablonski was co-hosting his weekly “Hockey Night in Minnesota” segment on 105 The Ticket and invited Beadle to be his guest on the show for the second time.

Jablonski’s co-hosts, Bob Sansevere and Mike Morris, were teasing the youngster about his crush on the “SportsNation” co-host prior to her guest appearance. Listeners quickly learned that Jablonski had something bigger planned.

A few minutes into the interview, Jablonski, who is a student at Benilde-St. Margaret’s School in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, asked Beadle to his prom.

“I’d formally like to invite you to my prom,” Jablonski said after his co-hosts introduced the subject.

Beadle gasped with excitement and astonishment, and she quickly said yes.

“Seriously, I would love it,” said Beadle.

“Can I wear an ’80s dress to the prom?” she asked, showcasing her typical quick humor and wit.

“And no alcoholic beverages, Jack, I will be watching,” she joked.

For Beadle, she’s hoping this will be her first positive prom experience after two disasters back when she was in high school.

The ESPN host told Larry Brown Sports that she has known Jack through Twitter the past few years. She shared her thoughts on the prom invite.

“I know that he’s a badass and someone I look up to immensely,” Beadle wrote to Larry Brown Sports in an email. “I was shocked when he asked today. And I adore him for doing it live on the radio. I’m honored to squeeze my 38 year old behind into a formal gown for a great night!”

This date sounds awesome and we can’t wait to hear how the night goes. The prom is in May.

And we have to commend Jablonski for having the courage to ask Beadle on air — that was very cool and it took a lot of guts!

Darren Sproles’ wife Michel blasts Saints on Instagram

Darren Sproles wife Michel

There is very little loyalty in the NFL, and Darren Sproles’ wife is finding that out the hard way.

Sproles’ wife, Michel, blasted the New Orleans Saints organization on Wednesday for the way they’ve handled her husband.

Sproles is entering the final year of his contract with the team. On Monday, a report said the team was likely to cut the veteran back. Then on Tuesday, Sproles found out via Twitter that the Saints were planning to trade him rather than release him.

It’s definitely been a rough time for the Sproles family to see all this play out over social media the past few days, and clearly Michel was frustrated. Here’s what she wrote:

Michel Sproles Instagram

Sproles quickly felt the heat from that Instagram note and clearly was uncomfortable. She wrote this message as a follow-up:

[Read more...]

Panthers GM Dave Gettleman reportedly sees Steve Smith as a distraction

Steve SmithThe Carolina Panthers have not yet waived Steve Smith, but it seems like a split between the two sides is inevitable.

There have been reports saying the Panthers are trying to trade Smith, who turns 35 in May and is coming off one of his least productive seasons. It sounds like there is more than just age and declining production factoring into the team’s decision to shop the receiver.

According to a Charlotte Observer report, Panthers GM Dave Gettleman views Smith as a distraction. The report says Gettleman wants to turn the locker room over to young quarterback Cam Newton and young linebacker Luke Kuechly.

Smith is a media and fan favorite because he is a tough guy with a serious attitude and because he loves to talk. He’s as real as it gets and plays with a chip on his shoulder, but that also results in him making a lot of headlines.

Having a chip on his shoulder may fuel Smith to be his best, but it also makes him a distraction. Maybe Carolina is getting rid of him at the right time. I just know that he still has another good season left and would line up to sign him if I were another team. The Ravens are said to be a good landing spot if Carolina lets Smith go.

H/T Rotoworld

Oklahoma assistant coach Cale Gundy takes shot at Nick Saban over 10-second rule

Nick SabanNick Saban has been the most influential head coach lobbying for a proposed 10-second rule that would slow down offenses across college football. The rule was recently shot down, and there are probably more coaches that are breathing a sigh of relief than those who are disappointed. The Oklahoma coaches, including running backs coach Cale Gundy, are among the former group.

On Tuesday night, Gundy decided to take a shot at Saban over the 10-second rule being tabled by the NCAA rules committee. The tweet was later deleted but not before it was captured by Saturday Down South.

Cale-Gundy-Nick-Saban

The Sooners put a beating on Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, so Gundy obviously felt he was in a position to brag. It probably occurred to him later that Saban has won three national championships in the last five years, which led to an apology.

Cale-Gundy-apology

Oklahoma is one of many teams that runs an up-tempo, no-huddle offense. That offense and many others have had a tendency to wear out the Crimson Tide, which many believe is the main reason Saban was rallying for a new rule.

H/T Dr. Saturday

Floyd Mayweather allegedly had goons savagely beat workers he suspected of stealing

Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather Jr. may been in some serious trouble.

According to TMZ, Mayweather allegedly had some goons savagely beat a few workers he suspected of stealing jewelry from him, and the men have supposedly hired legal representation since.

TMZ says the two men who were beaten were hired by Mayweather to work on his Las Vegas homes. After some jewelry went missing, Mayweather reportedly suspected the men of the theft. He then supposedly arranged a meeting with the men at an off-site location.

When the men showed up, they were allegedly beaten by Floyd’s goons nearly to the point of death. The guys used weapons including clubs to beat up the two men.

The two men were hospitalized for several days and had broken arms and legs. They were supposedly adamant that they never stole the jewelry, and Floyd believes that now. But since the beating, the guys have hired a lawyer.

This sort of thing is nothing new for Mayweather. Not only was he charged with felony domestic violence in 2010 for allegedly beating up his baby mama — something he later served jail time for — but he also had domestic violence incidents in 2002 and 2005. Also in 2010, one of Mayweather’s bodyguards was arrested and charged with shooting a man in a parking lot after Mayweather confronted the man. In 2011, a club bouncer sued Mayweather, alleging that the boxer’s bodyguard assaulting him at the club.

Maybe it’s time Mayweather stopped having people beat guys up for him. Maybe it’s also time he stopped having so much jewelry around; it only seems to cause problems for him. Remember when he was robbed of $7 million in jewelry back in 2008? Or how about when his ex-girlfriend allegedly robbed him on one of his fight nights?