pixel 1
header
Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Football

Jeff Garcia embarrassed after Bucs ask him to announce draft pick they don’t have

Former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia has been given the honor of announcing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ third-round selection at the draft this weekend, but there could be one problem — the Bucs don’t have a third-round pick.

Garcia wrote on Twitter Monday night that he is honored the Bucs asked him to present the pick.

However, the Bucs traded their third-round pick to the New York Giants as part of the Jason Pierre-Paul deal. When a local reporter pointed that out, Garcia became very salty and said he doesn’t pay attention to his former team’s draft and “could care less” who they are picking anyway.

Seemingly realizing that he came across as a jerk, Garcia apologized on Tuesday morning but admitted it was “a bit of an embarrassment” that the Bucs asked him to announce a draft pick they don’t have.

Garcia spent two seasons in Tampa and reached the Pro Bowl as a member of the team in 2007. The Bucs have already created quite the buzz over the way they plan to announce some draft picks, but they probably didn’t intend for the Garcia situation to turn into this much of a mess. If he’s still willing to announce a pick, the team can probably find one for him.

Odell Beckham expected to attend Giants voluntary minicamp

Odell Beckham

As one of seven teams that are heading into the 2018 season with a new head coach, the New York Giants are permitted to hold a three-day minicamp leading up to the NFL Draft. That will give Pat Shurmur a chance to become more familiar with his players — including Odell Beckham Jr.

According to ESPN’s Jordan Raanan, Beckham is expected to attend the voluntary minicamp.

That’s obviously another good sign for the Giants, as Beckham also showed up for the start of the team’s voluntary offseason program earlier this month. While the star wide receiver wants a long-term contract extension and has heard his name come up in trade talks, he seems committed to the team and its new coaching regime.

All signs point to Beckham remaining in New York through at least 2018, and that was the most likely result all along given what the Giants reportedly wanted teams to give up for him. Still, voluntary workouts are just that. Beckham is clearly sending a message by showing up.

Chargers GM has perfect response to Baker Mayfield

Baker Mayfield

Los Angeles Chargers GM Tom Telesco had a perfect response to Baker Mayfield.

Mayfield admitted in a piece by Robert Klemko for The Monday Morning Quarterback that he was not well prepared for a pre-draft meeting with the Chargers.

“I didn’t look at their playbook as much as a I should have,” Mayfield said of the meeting, via Klemko. “It could have gone a little bit better . . . but at the same time, I’m prioritizing which playbooks I’m going to learn. No offense to them, but I’ve got a lot on my plate.”

The slight towards the Chargers was definitely heard by the team. In a meeting with the media on Monday, Telesco was asked about Mayfield’s comments and made a humorous “plate” reference to them.

That’s a solid response. The Chargers have the No. 17 pick in the draft, and Mayfield does not think he will last that long. Perhaps that played a role in his attitude towards his meeting with the team. After all, we do know how highly Mayfield thinks of himself when it comes to this year’s quarterback class.

Report: Baker Mayfield ‘definitely’ in mix for Browns at No. 1 overall

Baker Mayfield

The Cleveland Browns have yet to give an indication of what they plan to do with the top overall pick in the NFL Draft on Thursday, but most people believe they have narrowed their decision down to Sam Darnold and Josh Allen. It may be more complicated than that.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter spoke with an NFL executive on Tuesday morning who insisted the Browns are “definitely” still considering Baker Mayfield with the No. 1 pick.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said recently that his best guess is the Browns will take Sam Darnold, and that is seemingly the safe pick. Allen has a bigger arm and is possibly more gifted than any of his peers, but there have been more than a few questions about his accuracy. While Allen’s ceiling is high, the Browns have botched too many quarterback picks in recent years, so they may opt to play it safe.

Mayfield would not exactly be safe, as he has gotten himself into trouble both on and off the field. Some teams consider his postgame antics against Ohio State a red flag, but others love how competitive the former Oklahoma star is. He also completed over 68 percent of his passes in three seasons with the Sooners and improved each year. If the Browns do decide to take Mayfield, it would be hard to criticize them.

Josh Rosen says opponents have used anti-Semitic slurs against him

Josh Rosen

Josh Rosen is opening up about some of the anti-Semitic language that has been directed towards him on the gridiron.

In a lengthy feature by Michael Silver of NFL.com that ran on Monday, Rosen, whose father is Jewish and who identifies as a Jew, revealed that he has heard taunts from opponents based on his heritage.

“I get a lot of Jewish things,” he said. “My nose, particularly. I get, like, ‘Stay the f–k down, you Jewish b—–d. I’m gonna break your f–king nose, you Jew.'”

The 21-year-old sounded largely unfazed by the offensive smack talk though.

“I really like when people try to get in my head,” Rosen continued. “I like away games more than home games. I like silencing crowds; that’s a big thing … When people really get into me, it gets my competitive juices flowing. I love seeing heartbroken fans. Some stadiums, the fans are really close to you, and they’ll call you names: ‘Rosen, go back to your hot tub.’ And when you beat them and get to turn around and wave? It’s the best.”

Rosen, who spent three seasons at UCLA, is now projected to be a high first-round pick in the NFL Draft later this week. To an extent, he has made himself a target for opponents with some of his controversial behavior. But going after somebody on the basis of race, religion, or otherwise is obviously crossing a line.

H/T Bleacher Report

David Irving’s girlfriend retracts domestic violence claims

David Irving

Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle David Irving is facing serious allegations of domestic violence, but the woman who made them has since retracted them.

Not long after Frisco police announced that they are investigating Irving, his girlfriend Angela Sanchez issued a statement saying she and Irving had a verbal argument and that she falsely accused him of getting physical with her.

“I had no intentions of getting David into trouble,” Sanchez’s statement read. “I was just very emotional and upset … David did not put his hands on me at any time.”

Police will likely still look into the allegations, as they were quite serious in nature. Sanchez appears to have accused Irving of choking her based on one of the felony charges he was facing.

Police received two separate calls from Sanchez on Sunday evening alleging that Irving had assaulted her. She also appeared to hack the 24-year-old’s Twitter account, and Irving told his own account of what happened in a Facebook post.

David Irving says ex hacked Twitter account after he caught her cheating

David Irving

Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle David Irving is being investigated for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend, and it appears as though many of the accusations against him originated on social media.

On Monday morning, a series of tweets popped up on Irving’s Twitter account that said things like “David irving going to jail say good by to his football career,” according to Mac Engel of the Star-Telegram. Someone — presumably Irving — later deleted the tweets and wrote “profile hacked.”

The original tweets made reference to Irving failing drug tests and said he “Cut his gf hair and kicked her to the streets.” Hours after the tweet about his profile being hacked, more tweets popped up. The theme remained the same.

Irving also posted on his Facebook page, and he appears to be claiming that the woman is fabricating everything because he caught her cheating on him.

“Excuse the posts, my ex hacked me because I kicked her out for cheating … Again lol,” Irving wrote.

As Engel notes, Irving was also accused of assaulting his girlfriend, who is the mother of his child, while he was in college at Iowa State. The ex, Angela Sanchez, is believed to be the same woman who has made the latest allegations against Irving.

Police received two separate calls about Irving assaulting a woman on Sunday evening, and the accusations are quite disturbing. The 24-year-old recorded seven sacks in eight games with the Cowboys last season and has signed a one-year restricted free agent tender for 2018.

Page 2 of 2,85812345...