Quantcast

Shelly Sterling preparing to divorce husband Donald?

Donald Shelly Sterling

Shelly and Donald Sterling were married in 1957, though they have been estranged for years. But it sounds like Shelly may be prepared to finally divorce Donald.

TMZ reports that Shelly hired prominent divorce attorney Laura Wasser several months ago to prepare the gold digger lawsuit against Donald’s girlfriend V. Stiviano. Wasser is the same lawyer who filed divorce papers on behalf of Kim Kardashian and Vanessa Bryant. TMZ says a divorce seems imminent.

Though the two have been estranged for years and don’t sit together when attending Clippers games, the final straw for Shelly supposedly came last year when their 31-year-old son, Scott, died of a drug overdose. She apparently felt like he was more concerned with Stiviano than grieving with the family.

Additionally, Shelly put out a statement that differs from what she told Lisa Salters at the Clippers-Warriors playoff game Sunday.

“Our family is devastated by the racist comments made by my estranged husband. My children and I do not share these despicable views or prejudices.”

In comments to Salters earlier in the day, Shelly said she was not sure if it was her husband’s voice on the audio recordings. I guess she’s sure now.

President Obama comments on Donald Sterling audio recording

Donald SterlingPresident Obama weighed in on the alleged comments made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling in an audio recording after being asked about it Sunday in Malaysia.

Obama, who is on a diplomatic mission, was asked about the Sterling recording while holding a press conference with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak. He responded by calling Sterling “ignorant.”

“When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, you don’t really have to do anything, you just let them talk. That’s what happened here,” the President said via CNN.

Obama also reportedly said Sterling’s alleged comments are an example of how “the United States continues to wrestle with the legacy of race and slavery and segregation.

“That’s still there, the vestiges of discrimination. We’ve made enormous strides, but you’re going to continue to see this percolate up every so often.”

While the NBA is taking a measured approach in addressing the situation — Commissioner Adam Silver said the league is investigating the authenticity and context of the recording — the President is coming right out and saying how he feels.

Though the league is giving Sterling due process in the matter, the public sentiment is pretty much unanimous in its feelings of anger and disgust towards the Clippers owner. President Obama’s comments are a reflection of this reaction.

Troy Vincent: I played with six openly gay players

Troy Vincent NFLMichael Sam became the first high-level football player to publicly reveal he is gay, but that doesn’t mean he’s the first openly gay player in the NFL.

Senior Vice President of player engagement Troy Vincent says he played with six openly gay players during his career.

Vincent, who made five Pro Bowls during his 15-year career, was speaking at an annual league meeting with sports editors when he made the revelation.

“I think what has changed over the years is now that it has become public,” Vincent said Thursday via USA Today. “In my 15 years in the NFL, I played with six openly gay players in the locker room. It’s a workplace and it’s up to those individuals to disclose their sexual orientation. We’ve also been working alongside Michael [Sam's] team, as a prospect and just preparing him for what life is like an NFL player … It’s nothing new for the players inside the locker room, but I think the player addressing that publicly is something we’re working on.”

Vincent played in the league from 1992-2006. He spent four seasons in Miami, eight in Philly, nearly three in Buffalo and part of a season with the Redskins.

With every athlete that comes out, we get closer and closer to players’ sexuality no longer being stories. But because we’re still breaking barriers and new ground, it remains headline news when an athlete publicly reveals that they are gay. Gay players have been in the NFL and others sports for years, the only difference is that the news was never made public.

Aaron and Andrew Harrison returning to Kentucky

Harrison-Twins-Kentucky

Kentucky fans are still trying to get over a tough loss to UConn in the national championship game earlier this month, and they received some great news on Friday that should execrate the healing process. The Wildcats’ twin guards, Aaron Harrison and Andrew Harrison, have decided to return to Kentucky for their sophomore seasons.

Both Aaron and Andrew announced the decision on their respective Twitter accounts.

As usual, John Calipari is expected to bring in one of the top recruiting classes next season. The return of the Harrison twins will give the Wildcats something they have been lacking in recent years come tournament time — experience.

“They wanted to stay in school,” the twins’ father Aaron told ESPN on Friday. “They wanted to explore their options and see what’s out there. They probably made up their minds last week. All the information they got from the draft was that they were middle to late first round. They had to weigh going back to school and improving and maturing. All the things added up to that.”

Julius Randle and James Young, Kentucky’s top two scorers, have already declared for the draft. However, the Harrisons will join Alex Poythress, Willie Cauley-Stein, Marcus Lee and Dakari Johnson as freshman who have decided to stick around for another year.

“I’m coming back for a second season in large part because last year’s title run was special, but we still have unfinished business,” Aaron said.

Aaron knocked down not one but two game-winning 3-pointers in the NCAA Tournament to spark Kentucky’s improbable run to the Final Four. The Wildcats should be the No. 1 team in the preseason rankings later this year for a second straight year.

Russell Westbrook’s brother on Thunder: ‘We need a new coach’

Russell Westbrook

Russell Westbrook’s brother Ray had a Marcus Vick moment while watching the Oklahoma City Thunder fall behind against the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 3 of their playoff series on Thursday night.

With the Thunder down 71-54 in the third quarter, Westbrook was pulled for Reggie Jackson after missing a 3-pointer and committing a charge on consecutive possessions. That didn’t sit well with Ray, who tweeted the following:

Russell Westbrook brother

Ray quickly deleted the tweet, but the damage had already been done.

Russ finally re-entered the game with 7:43 left and his team down 81-64. They quickly went on a 7-0 run.

I’ve never been a big fan of Scott Brooks, so I agree with you, Ray. And anyone who thinks the Thunder are better off without Russ or when Russ plays less is crazy.

H/T Royce Young

Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard sends hilarious tweet about Frank Vogel’s job status

Frank-Vogel-Heat-floppersEarlier this week, a report surfaced indicating that Indiana Pacers head coach Frank Vogel could be coaching for his job even if his team defeats the Atlanta Hawks in the opening round of the playoffs. The dysfunction going on within the Pacers’ locker room has been well documented over the past month or so, which has led to speculation that Vogel is on the hot seat.

On Thursday, Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard informed the public that Vogel’s job is safe with a hilarious tweet.

Bird, as you know, is the Pacers’ president. He is the one who will ultimately decide if Vogel stays or goes, and it sounds like the Hall of Famer has already made his decision. Larry Legend’s sources are probably a bit more informed than ESPN.com’s.

Having said that, you don’t want your coach thinking he’s coaching for his job while he’s trying to win a championship. Pritchard and Bird kind of had to say something in a way. If the Pacers get bounced early and players keep fighting each other, it wouldn’t shock us to see Vogel lose his job.

H/T @cjzero

Michael Pineda ejected for having pine tar on his neck

pineda-pine-tar-neck

Leave it to Michael Pineda to keep pushing the envelope.

Earlier this month, Pineda was found to have dirt pine tar on his pitching hand during the fourth inning of a game against the Boston Red Sox. By the fifth inning it had magically disappeared. After the game, Pineda declared the substance to be dirt. No one believed him.

On Wednesday, Pineda took the mound to face the Boston Red Sox once again. Like before, he had dirt pine tar on his body. Tonight, his neck was the preferred area, because that’s more discreet.

And this time Pineda was ejected for it.

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

The way things are going, this is how Michael Pineda may look for his next start.