Quantcast

Steve Spurrier takes shot at Florida for not making bowl game

Steve-Spurrier-South-CarolinaSouth Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier was his usual self during his scheduled press conference on Thursday. By that, we mean he did everything he could to ruffle as many feathers as possible in a short amount of time. His most entertaining insult came at the expense of the Florida Gators.

As you know, Florida went 4-8 this season and was not invited to a bowl game. It was the first time the Gators finished with a losing record since 1979, and Spurrier was sure to remind the folks in Gainesville of that. It just so happens that Spurrier’s Gamecocks are playing Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 in Orlando.

Classic Ole Ball Coach stuff right there. Spurrier also ripped on Jadeveon Clowney after the defensive end was cited for driving 110 mph in a 70-mph zone, saying he didn’t know Clowney owned a car that could go that fast. Earlier this season, Spurrier took a shot at Tennessee for all the coaching changes they have had in recent years. The OBC may be 68 years old, but he’s still as much of a dick as ever.

H/T Adam Kramer

Russell Wilson taken by Rangers in Rule 5 baseball draft

russell-wilson-seahawksIf Seattle Seahawks star Russell Wilson has a sudden change of heart and decides playing quarterback for one of the best teams in the NFL just isn’t for him, he has a nice future lined up with the Texas Rangers. On Thursday, the Rangers selected Wilson in baseball’s Rule 5 draft.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, the Rule 5 draft allows teams to take minor leaguers who are not currently on 40-man rosters from other teams. Since Wilson was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in 2010 and spent parts of two seasons in Class-A, he had the necessary amount of service time in the minor leagues to be eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

As Deadspin pointed out, the Rangers now owe the Rockies $12,000 and can keep Wilson on their Triple-A reserve list. Should he ever decide the pursuit of a Super Bowl is no longer the thrill he is looking for, Wilson can return to baseball and join the Rangers farm system.

Wilson played college baseball at NC State for three seasons and was taken in the fourth round of the MLB draft, so his baseball talent is obviously no joke. That being said, the Rangers likely selected him in the Rule 5 draft to get people like us to talk about it. If nothing else, they can now say Russell Wilson is connected to their organization.

Alabama reportedly growing ‘uncomfortable’ over Nick Saban not signing extension

Nick SabanAt the very least, it seems obvious that Nick Saban is going to get more money from Alabama if he chooses to stay in Tuscaloosa. The impending coaching vacancy at Texas has placed the four-time national champion in an incredible position of strength, and ESPN.com’s Paul Finebaum is reporting that Saban has had a contract extension offer on his desk since Friday.

Finebaum added that the school is growing more and more “uncomfortable” the longer Saban goes without signing the new deal. As we know, there have been rumors from some pretty credible sources claiming Saban is expected to be the next head coach at Texas after Mack Brown steps down. However, one reporter admitted he does not have enough info on his Saban to Texas rumor to warrant a full news story.

Should Saban sign the extension with Alabama and stop making school officials “nervous,” it would be his second raise since March. He signed a contract extension worth $5.62 million per season nine months ago and said it would allow him to finish his coaching career at Alabama.

“From my standpoint, the acceptance of this extension represents our commitment … to the University of Alabama for the rest of our career,” Saban said at the time. “We made that decision after the season when other people were interested.”

As we know, this is the same coach who infamously said he would not leave the Miami Dolphins before accepting the job at Bama. We know better than to rule out a departure, just as Saban’s camp knows better than to pass up more money by denying he has any interest in the Texas job.

Mack Brown will reportedly step down at Texas

Mack Brown TexasMack Brown is stepping down as the coach of the Texas Longhorns, according to Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com. Texas is 8-4 this season after a 30-10 loss to Baylor over the weekend. The Longhorns will face Oregon in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 30. Brown is expected to make the announcement by the end of this week.

“Mack Brown loves Texas and wants what’s in the best interest of Texas and what’s in the best interest of Mack Brown,” a high-level source reportedly told Orangebloods.com. “I don’t think it’s been an easy decision. But he doesn’t want negativity around the program he helped unify.”

Last week, a report from Sports Illustrated’s Pete Thamel indicated that Brown was likely to step down.

The 62-year-old is expected to coach in the Alamo Bowl, which will cap off his 16-year career as the head coach of the Longhorns. His 158 wins are second only to Darrell Royal, who had 167 wins in his career at Texas.

Brown is under contract through 2020, but he will reportedly receive a $2.75 million buyout and other considerations. His contract states that he is to be “reassigned to another significant position” within UT’s athletic department if he voluntarily relinquishes his duties as head coach. That position would pay an annual salary of $500,000.

Since losing to Alabama in the 2010 BCS National Championship Game, Texas has gone 30-20 and not exactly been the national powerhouse Brown had built in the earlier part of the 21st century. Brown won a national championship with the Longhorns in 2005, which was the school’s first title since 1970.

This was seemingly the best outcome for all parties involved. While it’s difficult for any coach to “step down,” it’s better for Brown and the school to have the relationship end mutually. No one wants to fire one of the greatest coaches in school history, and Texas is clearly ready to move on.

Kenneth Edward Tarr, prankster who offered coaches fake jobs, arrested and facing charges

Tony-Dungy-Ndamukong-SuhThe Los Angeles man who allegedly made prank phone calls to high profile coaches from the NFL, NBA and college football was arrested on Monday. According to NBC News, 32-year-old Kenneth Edward Tarr was booked on suspicion of felony eavesdropping for recording phone conversations without permission. Tarr is being held on $20,000 bond and charges could be filed as soon as Wednesday.

At least a dozen coaches were reportedly victims of Tarr’s cruel prank, with names like Tony Dungy and Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson among them. About two months ago, USC claimed people were posing as Trojans representatives and speaking to prospective coaches. At the time, we thought USC was lying and had offered the job to Dungy and he turned it down. Tarr’s arrest would seem to confirm that we were wrong.

In October, a person named Kenny Tarr contacted Deadspin and admitted to making dozens of phone calls to high-profile coaches. Tarr sent Deadspin a recording of a conversation he had with Jackson where he posed as a Los Angeles Lakers representative who was supposedly helping with their head coaching search.

“It’s basically a new frontier for me,” Tarr said. “I’m amazed that they’re returning any of these calls.”

Tarr went on to brag about how USC threatened to sue him but “no one ever has the balls to go through with it.” He admitted to contacting Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, Stanford head coach David Shaw and several others.

“Our investigation is ongoing and includes coaches from across professional sports,” LAPD Lt. Mark Reina said, per NBC News. “We will be analyzing evidence taken during the service of our search warrant to determine if there are additional victims we are not aware of.”

Whether USC or anyone else sues Tarr, it appears that his prank is going to cost him. I hope it’s worth the fame he has received.

Mike Shanahan says he has considered benching RG3, hasn’t spoken to him about it

Mike Shanahan Robert GriffinThe Mike Shanahan watch is in full swing, with many speculating that the Washington Redskins head coach is going to be fired in the wake of his team’s embarrassing 45-10 home loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. The Redskins are 3-10 this season after reaching the playoffs in 2012. Shanahan’s relationship with Robert Griffin III has seemed rocky all season, and it may have just gotten rockier.

On Monday, Shanahan told reporters that he is considering benching RG3 for the remainder of the season to protect his health. Griffin, the future of the franchise, has been sacked a whopping 24 times in the past five games — all losses.

“I want to make sure he’s healthy going into off season,” Shanahan said, via Around the League. “I’ll think about it and decide Wednesday.”

The move would almost certainly upset Griffin, who vowed to be ready for the start of the regular season and let it be known publicly that he was upset with Shanahan for holding him out of practices and preseason play. But the worst part of all is that Shanahan said he has not discussed the prospect of benching RG3 with RG3. That means the former Baylor star found out about it during the press conference like the rest of us.

“I told him I’m his coach, not his best friend,” Shanahan said when asked about his relationship with Griffin.

RG3 recently denied that he rushed back from knee surgery because he believed backup quarterback Kirk Cousins could steal his job. A number of people have insisted Cousins would give the Redskins a better chance to win right now given the way Griffin has played and how ineffective he has been, particularly with his legs. Based on Shanahan’s comments, it sounds like we’re about to find out.

Unless, of course, team owner Daniel Snyder accepts the dare Shanny threw at him on Monday. What dare is that? The “fire me, I dare you,” line he might as well have dropped when discussing RG3.

Roy Halladay to retire, sign one-day contract with Blue Jays

Roy HalladayRoy Halladay is retiring, as first reported by Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The 36-year-old was limited to just 62 innings with the Philadelphia Phillies last season and compiled a 4-5 record and a 6.82 ERA — his worst mark in 13 seasons.

Halladay will be retiring as a member of the Toronto Blue Jays. The Jays have scheduled a press conference for Monday, during which they will announce that Halladay has signed a one-day contract with the team.

When Halladay was on, he was arguably the most dominant pitcher in baseball. However, injuries over the past two seasons have caused him to lose velocity on his fastball. He made 25 starts for the Phillies in 2012 and racked up a 4.49 ERA.

Despite two injury-marred seasons, the Doc has put together quite an impressive Hall of Fame resume. He will finish his career with a 203-105 record, 3.38 ERA and 2,117 strikeouts in 2,749 1/3 innings. Halladay threw 60 complete games in his career and also tossed a perfect game. He had a 2.37 ERA in the playoffs, won two Cy Young Awards and was an eight-time All-Star.

Miami Marlins outfielder Logan Morrison said he had a feeling Halladay would retire when he saw him pitch last season.

It’s an unfortunate ending to a career we thought would be longer, but you have to respect Halladay for not wanting to continue pitching at a mediocre level. He should be remembered as one of the greatest gamers of our generation.