Quantcast

Ex-lover/employee Maiko Maya King suing Donald Sterling

Maiko Maya King

Maiko Maya King, an ex-employee and lover/girlfriend of Donald Sterling, is suing her former boss claiming that he fired her after she rejected his racist and sexist taunts.

Despite being married with two children when she met Sterling in 2005, King supposedly was in a romantic relationship with the longtime Clippers owner from 2005-2011. Sterling supported her financially as she worked for his foundation. Two years after they broke up, she began working for Sterling as a personal assistant before she says she was fired.

King alleges that Sterling made multiple racist comments to her, which led her to end their relationship. Here’s a sampling of those alleged remarks:

- “How could you be married to a black man?”

- “Why would you bring black people into the world?”

- “I want to take you out of the black world and put you into the white world”; when they would fight he told her to “move back to the ghetto with a black man.”

- “Black people do not take care of their children. All they do is sit at home and smoke dope.”

- “Mexicans just do drive-by shootings.”

Even though King broke off their relationship in 2011, she kept in contact with Sterling and reached out to him after her father died in 2013. She says they met in person and Sterling offered her a job working in marketing for the Clippers. He later changed the job offer in Dec. 2013 and offered King a position as his personal caretaker/assistant. He told her she would be paid $10,000 a month, given a car and home, and receive a $100,000 bonus if she showed loyalty to him.

Of course, if an offer like that sounds like it has strings attached, this certainly did.

[Read more...]

Dan Marino sues NFL over concussions

Dan MarinoDan Marino is the latest former NFL player to sue the league over concussions.

The LA Times reported Monday that Marino and 14 others sued the league last week in District Court in Philadelphia.

The process of former players suing the league has been going on for quite some — and somewhat quietly — but there are around 5,000 former players who have joined suits against the league, including over 40 Hall of Famers.

This specific suit is very similar to the others in that the players are accusing the NFL of concealing information about football-related brain injuries and misled players.

The NFL proposed a $765-million settlement, but a judge rejected it feeling that amount was not great enough.

Marino is one of the biggest names to join the lawsuit. It’s also surprising to see him be a part of it for a few reasons. He has been a broadcaster for CBS for several years and even acted in movies and commercials and never seemed to exhibit signs of head trauma unlike some other ex-QBs, and you probably wouldn’t have thought Marino would feel the need to go this avenue for money. But if he feels like the NFL did him wrong, then that’s enough reason to join the suit.

Report: FBI investigating Phil Mickelson for possible insider trading

Phil-Mickelson-Claret-JugPhil Mickelson is reportedly at the center of a federal investigation into a possible insider trading scheme. According to the New York Post, Mickelson may have taken part in illegal trading based on nonpublic information from billionaire investor Carl Icahn and Las Vegas sports gambling guru Billy Walters.

The investigation is said to have started in 2011, when Icahn made a $10 billion offer to purchase Clorox. Investigators say Icahn’s offer caused Clorox stock to skyrocket and that he may have tipped off Walters — who passed the information along to Mickelson — ahead of time. Investigators are in the process of trying to determine if Mickelson’s and Walters’ trading habits indicate they profited from the spike in Clorox stock caused by Icahn’s offer.

Mickelson acknowledged that he has spoken to government officials but maintained he has done nothing illegal.

“I have done absolutely nothing wrong,” the reining Open Championship winner said. “I have cooperated with the government in this investigation and will continue to do so. I wish I could fully discuss this matter, but under the current circumstances, it’s just not possible.”

Icahn claimed to have no knowledge of any ongoing investigation.

“We don’t know of any investigation,” the 78-year-old told The Post. “Further, we are always very careful to observe all legal requirements in all of our actions,” Icahn said. “I’m very proud of my record and I’ve never given out insider information. I’m very careful. That’s why I have an unblemished record.”

Despite Mickelson’s admission that he has cooperated with investigators, his lawyer Glenn Coehn told The Wall Street Journal that Mickelson is “not the target of any investigation, period.”

Sources also told The Post that investigators approached Mickelson during the first round of the Memorial Tournament on Thursday. Mickelson started his round on fire and was 5-under after 15 holes. He finished with a bogey on 16 and double bogeys and 17 and 18.

Donald Sterling’s lawyer says Sterling will ‘fight to the bloody end’ to keep Clippers

Donald SterlingLos Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has remained relatively quiet since the NBA banned him for life, and many have interpreted that to mean he is ready to sell his team and move on. Not so fast, says Sterling’s lawyer Max Blecher.

On Tuesday, Blecher told ESPN that Sterling’s group is prepared to “fight to the bloody end” to keep the team. He also said any reports about Donald agreeing to let his wife Shelly negotiate a sale of the Clippers are untrue.

“I don’t know what agreement she has with him, but I’m saying to you today, he disavows anything she’s doing to sell the team,” Blecher said. “He says, ‘It’s my team, and I’ll sell it when and if I get around to it.’”

Blecher said that Sterling was in a “state of shock” at first but is now feeling much more “feisty.” We all know the 80-year-old loves fighting legal battles, so it would be stunning if he simply stepped aside and sold the team like the NBA is hoping he will do.

“I believe what they’ve done is illegal and it will not hold up in court,” Blecher added. “I believe what they’re doing is a blatant invasion of his constitutional rights because they’re using a tape recording that he did not consent to, and under California law, that recording cannot be used for any purpose, for any proceeding.

“So if the basis of their case is illegal evidence, they don’t have much of a case. … The whole thing is a pile of garbage.”

Despite Blecher’s insistence that Sterling has changed his stance, Shelly is still reportedly moving quickly to sell the team. A group reportedly made an offer of $2.5 billion to buy the Clippers on Tuesday. Shelly Sterling has retained Bank of America to help her with the sale and has supposedly received at least six offers.

Jonathan Lee Riches reportedly filed Johnny Manziel lawsuit

Jonathan-Lee-RichesAs we all expected, the sexual harassment lawsuit filed against Johnny Manziel earlier this month was nothing more than a hoax that someone slipped through the cracks in a Florida courtroom. The suit was filed under the name Samantha Schacher, as in the cohost of the “Dr. Drew on Call” show on HLN. The person believed to be behind the prank is Jonathan Lee Riches.

Apparently Riches is known as a “serial filer” who has pulled similar stunts in the past. Staci Zaretski of AboveTheLaw.com pulled copies of several other “fake” suits Riches filed and said he is well known among the legal community. Schacher also tweeted about Riches on Friday afternoon.

Riches is a convicted felon who spent 10 years in prison for wire fraud. He gained fame by filing a number of ridiculous lawsuits while he was behind bars. In addition to Manziel, he has taken “legal action” against Kim Kardashian, Michael Vick and The Gap. He once vowed to “flood the universe with more lawsuits.”

This guy is obviously a huge nuisance to society, and something has to be done about it. He makes the argument that the people he targets are all public figures, but the line has to be drawn. Wasting time and resources on a screwball like Riches is a shame, even if his latest lawsuit made us wet ourselves.

Photo via The Smoking Gun

Samantha Schacher lawsuit against Johnny Manziel is real, could be frivolous

Johnny Manziel Cleveland Browns

A lawsuit that was filed against Johnny Manziel by a woman named Samantha Schacher set the internet on fire Friday morning. While it has been widely assumed that the claims in the suit are untrue, it does appear that the lawsuit is real. By that, we mean it has actually been filed in a Florida court on May 16.

Now, that does not mean that the lawsuit against Manziel is not frivolous. By definition, frivolous means “not having any serious purpose or value.” It’s never wise to assume a victim is lying, though the claims Schacher — or someone else who was using her name — made are absolutely off the charts.

Schacher has a Twitter page. Her profile says she is a contributor and cohost on HLN’s “Dr. Drew on Call” show. One of the claims made against Manziel in the lawsuit was that he called the plaintiff and told her he “wanted a threesome with Dr. Drew.”

Ian Rapoport provided a bit more context:

If Schacher was not the one who filed the lawsuit, it appears someone has used her name as part of his or her hoax. If that’s the case, she will likely take legal action against the person who did file the suit. Since everyone seems to be assuming the accusations are bogus, you could argue that Schacher’s name is being smeared more than Manziel’s if it turns out she had nothing to do with it.

Johnny Manziel lawsuit from ‘Samantha Schacher’ claims he put his penis in a hotdog bun

Johnny Manziel OVO DrakeA sexual harassment lawsuit that was supposedly filed against Johnny Manziel recently went viral on Friday morning, and most people are operating under the assumption that it is some sort of elaborate hoax. When you read the insane details, you’ll understand why.

According to the suit, a copy of which was posted on Scribd.com, a woman named Samantha Schacher is seeking a restraining order against Manziel because he has allegedly been harassing her since Valentine’s Day 2013. The plaintiff says Manziel has been calling her “non-stop” and sending her naked selfies. She is supposedly seeking $25 million in punitive damages.

You want the highlights of the lawsuit? We’ll show you the highlights of the lawsuit.

[Read more...]