Quantcast

Alleged attack victim suing Scottie Pippen for $4 million

Scottie PippenScottie Pippen was accused of assaulting a man outside a restaurant in Malibu and sending him to the hospital last month, but the former Chicago Bulls star was not arrested. A story later came out claiming that Pippen acted in self-defense and was being harassed by the alleged victim while he was eating dinner with friends and family. Now, the victim is suing Pippen.

Attorneys for 49-year-old Camran Shafighi filed a $4 million lawsuit against Pippen on Thursday claiming he suffers from headaches, nausea, difficulty breathing and other medical issues stemming from Pippen’s alleged attack on him.

“This has been pretty devastating to him,” Shafighi’s lawyer Lee Boyd told the LA times on Thursday. “This was not the result of some drunken barroom brawl. This is a guy who wanted to take a picture with a cellphone.”

Boyd claims Shafighi simply requested a photo with Pippen for his girlfriend’s 12-year-old son when he was knocked to the ground with a single punch and kicked while he was unconscious.

Police continue to investigate the alleged assault. Pippen was sought out for a possible arrest shortly after the incident occurred, but he voluntarily spoke with investigators who decided an arrest was not warranted. A spokesman for the sheriff’s office said witnesses told police the other man involved in the altercation with Pippen appeared to be intoxicated.

Even if Shafighi wins the lawsuit, $4 million might be aiming a bit high. Pippen works as a special advisor to the Bulls’ president and chief operating officer, but he is not as wealthy as you would expect a six-time NBA champion to be. He was reportedly in a ton of debt several years ago when he was flirting with the idea of an NBA comeback, so I doubt Pippen has millions of dollars lying around to shell out in a settlement.

Items taken from Aaron Hernandez’s home include gun shot residue kit, scale

Aaron HernandezAs expected, authorities released to the public on Tuesday the search warrants and affidavits connected to the Aaron Hernandez murder investigation. The information was made public following a motion filed by several media outlets, including the Associated Press.

Included in the new information was a list of items police seized from Hernandez’s North Attleboro home during their multiple searches of the residence. The Boston Globe’s Wesley Lowery shared two photos of the lists of things police took on June 18 and June 22. During the first search, the day after Odin Lloyd was killed, investigators focused strictly on electronics.

Aaron-Hernandez-items-list-1

When police returned four days later, a much wider variety of items was taken from the home. Among them was a allegedly a gunshot residue kit, which is used to determine if an individual was involved in the discharge of a firearm.

[Read more...]

Search warrant for Aaron Hernandez’s apartment cited cocaine

Carlos-OrtizCarlos Ortiz, the 27-year-old associate who admitted he was with Aaron Hernandez the night Odin Lloyd was shot, is starting to sound like a valuable witness who has been cooperating with police as they continue to investigate the murder. In fact, a report from The Sun Chronicle on Wednesday morning revealed that Ortiz was interviewed by police on June 25th — the day before Hernandez was arrested.

Ortiz provided police with key information about Hernandez’s apartment in Franklin, Mass., where several pieces of evidence were seized during a search this week. One of them was reportedly a white sweatshirt that Hernandez may have been wearing the night of the murder. Ortiz claimed he left a cell phone at the apartment the night of the shooting, which officers believe they found during the search.

In addition to informing police about the apartment and his forgotten cell phone, Ortiz may have mentioned something about drugs. The Boston Herald obtained a copy of the documents relating to the search of the so-called “flop house,” and the warrant contains references to cocaine.

[Read more...]

Milton Bradley sentenced to nearly 3 years in jail for spousal abuse

Milton BradleyMilton Bradley was sentenced on Tuesday to nearly three years in jail for abusing his wife five times between 2011 and 2012.

Bradley was released by the Seattle Mariners in May 2011 and arrested later that year for allegedly swinging a bat at his wife. She obtained a restraining order against him after he also threatened her with a gun.

Bradley was convicted in June on nine misdemeanor charges and faced over seven years in prison. He was found guilty of:

    - four counts of spousal battery
    - two counts of criminal threats
    - one count of assault with a deadly weapon
    - one count of vandalism
    - one count of brandishing a deadly weapon

Bradley’s sentence calls for 960 days in jail (32 months), 400 hours of community service and five years of probation. Bradley also has to take an anger management class and complete a year of domestic violence counseling.

The former MLB player is going through a divorce with his wife of five years, with whom he has two children. The Associated Press says Bradley is appealing his sentence and currently free on $250,000 bond. He is due back in court next month.

According to the LA Daily News’ Susan Abram, Bradley said in a statement to the court that he’s never harmed anyone, but admits he has anger issues. He told reporters after his sentence that he has a lot of respect for the judge and courts.

Here’s a photo of Bradley outside the Van Nuys courthouse.

John Franco reportedly threw a baseball to intimidate agent after estate sale

John-FrancoFormer New York Mets pitcher John Franco may be 52 years old and retired from baseball, but that doesn’t mean he can no longer throw. According to court papers that were recently filed by a woman who was in charge of Franco’s and his wife’s estate sale last year, he can still bring plenty of heat.

The Staten Island Advance reported on Tuesday that Franco and his wife Rose are currently facing a lawsuit from a woman by the name of Wendy King. King oversaw an estate sale of the Francos’ mansion last year that grossed more than $70,000 on items such as a custom motorcycle, arcade machines and Mets memorabilia.

According to court documents, King told the Francos that the sale would have gone better if Rose had not “interfered with the sale of numerous items, including a piano.” The assertion infuriated both John and Rose, and King alleges that John shoved her away from a door when she tried to leave the estate. She also said Rose berated her and that John chucked an autographed baseball at the wall at one point in an attempt to intimidate her.

“John A. Franco acted like a bully, intending to intimidate a woman,” the filing stated.

The Francos claim they are owed more than $30,000, which King’s lawyer Jeffrey B. Gold said is “preposterous and based on warped thinking.” Wayne Lonstein, the Francos’ lawyer, called the estate sale a “three-ring circus” on Monday and said witnesses will attest that John and Rose did nothing wrong.

“I’ve spoken to credible witnesses, and I do not believe for one minute that John or Rose did anything approaching what these [suit] papers are apparently alleging,” Lonstein said. “I think this is about throwing mud on the wall and trying to dirty the Francos in the hope they’ll give up on their claims on the money they’re owed.”

It sounds like it’s about throwing a baseball at the wall, not mud. Or, at least, that’s the part we care about the most.

H/T Hardball Talk

Everything you need to know about the cases involving Aaron Hernandez

Aaron Hernandez PatriotsNew England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is in the news this week because of two serious issues. We’ll do our best to break down exactly what Hernandez is facing and why he is involved in both cases.

Hernandez, 23, was a star high school player in Bristol, Conn., before moving on to Florida from 2007-2009. He was drafted in the fourth-round by the Patriots in 2010 and reportedly slipped in the draft because of failed drug tests in college. He has caught 175 passes for 1,956 yards and 18 touchdowns in 38 career games for the Pats and has been limited by injuries.

On Tuesday, it was reported that Hernandez was questioned by police in a homicide case.

A 27-year-old man named Odin Lloyd was found dead by a jogger in North Attleboro, Mass., on Monday. Lloyd’s body was found about a mile from Hernandez’s home, and a report said the possible connection between Hernandez and the case was a rental car found near the body that was in the tight end’s name. Hernandez supposedly was being uncooperative in the police’s attempt to investigate the case. He reportedly has not been ruled out as a suspect, though SI says Hernandez is not believed to be a suspect.

Lloyd was a player for the Boston Bandits, a semi-pro football league. The Boston Globe says a neighbor told them it was known that Lloyd would hand out with Patriots players. WBZ in Boston also reported that Lloyd was dating the sister of Hernandez’s girlfriend.

On Wednesday, TMZ brought up another case involving Hernandez that appears to be unrelated to the homicide.

[Read more...]

Josh Brent tests positive for marijuana while awaiting manslaughter trial

Josh BrentDallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent tested positive for marijuana following a court hearing last month, the Associated Press reports. Brent, you will recall, killed his teammate Jerry Brown after crashing his car on Dec. 8 while allegedly driving drunk.

The positive test for marijuana came up because prosecutors were attempting to get Brent’s bond revoked due to problems with alcohol monitoring. Though the judge declined the motion, he did order a urine test after the May 24 hearing, which Brent failed.

“Given the defendant’s prior alcohol-related contacts and the severity of the charge in this case, it is the State’s belief that the defendant continues to pose a threat to the community,” prosecutors said in the motion.

[Related: Cowboys reportedly were partying at club before fatal car crash]

Brent is facing up to 20 years in prison if convicted of intoxicated manslaughter.

So the obvious thing to ask here is how dumb can Brent be? He’s already in enough trouble as is and now he goes out and tests positive for weed? But it’s not so simple to just question his lack of intelligence.

First off, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a man with poor enough judgment to drive while extremely drunk would also smoke weed while awaiting trial. People who make bad decisions just make bad decisions. Also, he must be pretty stressed out knowing that he’s facing 20 years in jail. Smoking weed in response seems logical for a guy like that. I’m with the prosecutors in thinking he should have his bond revoked, though I know that will never happen.