Quantcast

John Franco reportedly threw a baseball to intimidate agent after estate sale

John-FrancoFormer New York Mets pitcher John Franco may be 52 years old and retired from baseball, but that doesn’t mean he can no longer throw. According to court papers that were recently filed by a woman who was in charge of Franco’s and his wife’s estate sale last year, he can still bring plenty of heat.

The Staten Island Advance reported on Tuesday that Franco and his wife Rose are currently facing a lawsuit from a woman by the name of Wendy King. King oversaw an estate sale of the Francos’ mansion last year that grossed more than $70,000 on items such as a custom motorcycle, arcade machines and Mets memorabilia.

According to court documents, King told the Francos that the sale would have gone better if Rose had not “interfered with the sale of numerous items, including a piano.” The assertion infuriated both John and Rose, and King alleges that John shoved her away from a door when she tried to leave the estate. She also said Rose berated her and that John chucked an autographed baseball at the wall at one point in an attempt to intimidate her.

“John A. Franco acted like a bully, intending to intimidate a woman,” the filing stated.

The Francos claim they are owed more than $30,000, which King’s lawyer Jeffrey B. Gold said is “preposterous and based on warped thinking.” Wayne Lonstein, the Francos’ lawyer, called the estate sale a “three-ring circus” on Monday and said witnesses will attest that John and Rose did nothing wrong.

“I’ve spoken to credible witnesses, and I do not believe for one minute that John or Rose did anything approaching what these [suit] papers are apparently alleging,” Lonstein said. “I think this is about throwing mud on the wall and trying to dirty the Francos in the hope they’ll give up on their claims on the money they’re owed.”

It sounds like it’s about throwing a baseball at the wall, not mud. Or, at least, that’s the part we care about the most.

H/T Hardball Talk

Everything you need to know about the cases involving Aaron Hernandez

Aaron Hernandez PatriotsNew England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is in the news this week because of two serious issues. We’ll do our best to break down exactly what Hernandez is facing and why he is involved in both cases.

Hernandez, 23, was a star high school player in Bristol, Conn., before moving on to Florida from 2007-2009. He was drafted in the fourth-round by the Patriots in 2010 and reportedly slipped in the draft because of failed drug tests in college. He has caught 175 passes for 1,956 yards and 18 touchdowns in 38 career games for the Pats and has been limited by injuries.

On Tuesday, it was reported that Hernandez was questioned by police in a homicide case.

A 27-year-old man named Odin Lloyd was found dead by a jogger in North Attleboro, Mass., on Monday. Lloyd’s body was found about a mile from Hernandez’s home, and a report said the possible connection between Hernandez and the case was a rental car found near the body that was in the tight end’s name. Hernandez supposedly was being uncooperative in the police’s attempt to investigate the case. He reportedly has not been ruled out as a suspect, though SI says Hernandez is not believed to be a suspect.

Lloyd was a player for the Boston Bandits, a semi-pro football league. The Boston Globe says a neighbor told them it was known that Lloyd would hand out with Patriots players. WBZ in Boston also reported that Lloyd was dating the sister of Hernandez’s girlfriend.

On Wednesday, TMZ brought up another case involving Hernandez that appears to be unrelated to the homicide.

[Read more...]

Josh Brent tests positive for marijuana while awaiting manslaughter trial

Josh BrentDallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent tested positive for marijuana following a court hearing last month, the Associated Press reports. Brent, you will recall, killed his teammate Jerry Brown after crashing his car on Dec. 8 while allegedly driving drunk.

The positive test for marijuana came up because prosecutors were attempting to get Brent’s bond revoked due to problems with alcohol monitoring. Though the judge declined the motion, he did order a urine test after the May 24 hearing, which Brent failed.

“Given the defendant’s prior alcohol-related contacts and the severity of the charge in this case, it is the State’s belief that the defendant continues to pose a threat to the community,” prosecutors said in the motion.

[Related: Cowboys reportedly were partying at club before fatal car crash]

Brent is facing up to 20 years in prison if convicted of intoxicated manslaughter.

So the obvious thing to ask here is how dumb can Brent be? He’s already in enough trouble as is and now he goes out and tests positive for weed? But it’s not so simple to just question his lack of intelligence.

First off, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a man with poor enough judgment to drive while extremely drunk would also smoke weed while awaiting trial. People who make bad decisions just make bad decisions. Also, he must be pretty stressed out knowing that he’s facing 20 years in jail. Smoking weed in response seems logical for a guy like that. I’m with the prosecutors in thinking he should have his bond revoked, though I know that will never happen.

Jose Canseco on rape allegation: She had her clothes off when we left the club

Jose Canseco just cannot manage to stay quiet about the rape allegation for which he is a suspect.

Earlier on Wednesday, Canseco tweeted about a sexual assault allegation he is facing. He mentioned the accuser’s name and shared a photo of her. He even shared the location for where she goes to the gym. He deleted most of those tweets, though he did leave up one that mentions the woman’s name. Las Vegas police confirmed to LBS that Canseco is a suspect in the case and that they are investigating the accusation.

Even though he deleted some tweets because he probably realized it was best to stay quiet about the case, Canseco got back to defending himself over Twitter a few hours later.

Jose Canseco rape tweet

Canseco may have provided some intimate details, but it’s obvious he’s trying to tell us the encounter between the two was consensual. He then continued to advocate having both him and his accuser take a lie detector test:

It will be interesting to see what the police decide to do after investigating. Canseco might not even get charged with anything.

MMA fighter Waylon Lowe sues sex shop, claims penis gel ‘permanently disfigured’ his genitals

Waylon-Lowe-UFCFormer UFC fighter and current WSOP lightweight Waylon Lowe has suffered his fair share of injuries in the octagon, but none of them were worse than the one he says he suffered during sex last September. Needless to say, he probably wont ever be using desensitizing penis gel again.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, Lowe filed a lawsuit against a sex shop in Philadelphia called The Mood on May 14. It was at that shop that the 32-year-old says he bought a product called Kama Sutra Pleasure Balm Prolonging Gel. Lowe says the gel, which is designed to decrease sensitivity and improve sexual performance, left his genitals “permanently disfigured” and resulted in “catastrophic and permanent damage.”

“This is a very private, but very significant loss for a man who is very vital in so many other aspects,” Lowe’s attorney Thomas R. Kline said. “This is a man who literally makes his living avoiding injury; he knows how to protect himself. Yet he wasn’t provided with the most basic, simple instructions to protect himself from this product. If it could happen to him, it could happen to anyone.”

[Read more...]

LeSean McCoy sued for alleged party bus assault

LeSean McCoyLeSean McCoy is being sued by a woman who alleges that she joined the Philadelphia Eagles running back on a party bus before being thrown off the ride and humiliated.

TMZ reports that the woman, who is listed as “Mary Roe” in the lawsuit, says she and 14 other women were invited to join McCoy on a party bus from Philly to New York last December. She alleges in her lawsuit that McCoy, his bodyguard, and a few other guys began spraying some of the women with water. She says they specifically went after her after she objected while the bus was on its way back to Philly.

The woman alleges she was hit in the face and fell to the ground where she continued to be sprayed. She claims she was physically restrained and had a drink poured all over her while she was on the ground. The woman says in the suit that she was kicked off the bus but was picked back up after some of the other women complained. The woman says she was eventually ditched again and left at a rest stop along the side of the Jersey Turnpike.

The woman is suing McCoy for more than “$50,000 in damages for assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, false imprisonment and negligence,” according to TMZ. She says “she suffered head trauma, a disc protrusion on her spine, bad sprains, contusions and bruises all over her body, and severe shock.”

Eagles beat writer Jeff McLane of The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that McCoy does not dispute kicking the woman off the bus, but says that the rest of the allegations are false. McCoy’s attorney told TMZ that the allegations are false and that the woman is trying to extort McCoy.

A New Jersey police sergeant tells TMZ that officers did meet with a woman near a rest stop on Dec. 19 and that she mentioned being in an altercation with a male, though she did not name McCoy at first. Officers reportedly did not observe any visible marks or injuries on her body when they examined her.

We know that McCoy has treated women terribly in the past, but the laundry list of complaints seem excessive, and the word from the police seems to weaken the woman’s claims.

JR Smith ordered to pay $48,000 for allegedly skipping out on jewelry bill

JR Smith reportedly has been ordered to pay over $48,000 to a jewelry company for allegedly not paying a bill after ordering some items from them in 2010.

According to TMZ, Smith ordered a diamond chain, two Black Jesus pendants and some earrings from Lemmerman’s — totaling $25,500.

The company sued Smith for $48,101, which was the amount of the jewelry plus interest and attorney’s fees. Smith did not respond to the suit and was ordered by a judge to pay $48,000.

Lemmerman’s advertises a great deal of custom-made jewelry on their website. They also seem to be quite popular with athletes; CJ Miles, Ryan Gomez, Keith Bogans, and Jared Sullinger are among the players whose names appear on the site for their products.

Below is a look at the Black Jesus pendant ordered by Smith:

Black Jesus pendant

That is pretty sweet looking. I have nothing against Black Jesus, but where’s the love for Korean Jesus?