Quantcast

Jeremy Lin had lunch with fired ESPN headline writer and ‘it went incredible’

Jeremy Lin had lunch Tuesday with the editor who was fired for writing a racially offensive headline following a Knicks loss last month. Lin said at the time he hoped the use of the phrase “chink in the armor” wasn’t intentional and that he hoped to learn to forgive. Apparently that was the case.

Newsday reports that a member of Lin’s family contacted Anthony Federico more than a month ago but they were unable to set up a meeting until now because of the point guard’s busy schedule. They finally met for lunch at a Manhattan restaurant Tuesday and Federico, who was apologetic following his egregious error, said “it went incredible.”

“The fact that he took the time to meet with me in his insanely busy schedule . . . He’s just a wonderful, humble person,” Federico told Newsday. “He didn’t have to do that, especially after everything had kind of died down for the most part.

“We talked more about matters of faith [and] reconciliation. We talked about our shared Christian values and what we’re both trying do with this situation . . . We didn’t talk about the headline for more than three minutes.”

Federico was feeling terribly for his error but probably feels much better now that he’s met with Lin. That’s also extremely thoughtful of Lin to arrange the meeting. As Federico said, Lin is very humble, and definitely a caring person.

Warren Sapp reprimanded by NFL Network: ‘He’s an analyst, not a reporter’

Warren Sapp created quite the buzz when he threw Jeremy Shockey under the bus and accused him of being a snitch in the NFL’s investigation of the Saints’ infamous bounty program. However, Sapp, who works for NFL Network, has been admonished by his bosses for making the allegation without going through the proper channels, as NFL Network Senior Vice President of Programming and Production Mark Quenzel explained to Pro Football Talk in a statement:

“We have discussed it with Warren and stressed that he is an analyst and not a reporter for NFL Network. In the future, if he comes across something he thinks is news he will let his producers know and before it is reported or Tweeted, that content will be subject to the same verification procedure that our reporters follow.”

Earlier this week Sapp tweeted and later repeated on air that Shockey was the whistle blower for the Saints’ bounty system. Shockey profusely refuted the claims, even showing a text from Saints coach Sean Payton that he thought exonerated him. Sapp hasn’t revealed his source.

We thought what Sapp did to Shockey was pretty reckless and was a fireable offense. Obviously Sapp losing his job is not going to happen now. Hopefully he’s learned that somebody with his stature and position can’t throw damaging accusations around so loosely without being entirely certain.

Photo credit: Mark J. Rebilas, US Presswire

Vin Scully not calling games east of Arizona

Longtime Dodgers announcer Vin Scully is scaling back his broadcasting schedule and won’t call games east of Arizona this season, the team’s broadcasting schedule shows.

Scully is 84 and has called Dodgers games for 62 seasons (!!!). He pared down his traveling schedule the past few seasons by not calling games east of Colorado, but now it looks like he will no longer be making the trip for Rockies games.

Luckily the Dodgers play in the NL West and many of their games are nearby Los Angeles, so he can still do Giants, Padres, and Diamondbacks games.

Even though Scully is older and not as sharp as he used to be, most fans would agree it’s more enjoyable to hear him calling games than anyone else, so we’ll take whatever he can give us.

Adam Schefter forced to end radio interview early because his phone was blowing up with scoops

The beginning of free agency is one of the busiest times of year for NFL reporters, so it’s understandable why ESPN’s Adam Schefter was unable to complete a radio interview Wednesday. Schefter was trying to talk NFL news, rumors, scoops with ESPN Radio Chicago’s Waddle & Silvy Show, but about a minute into the interview, his phone was buzzing with scoops, so he had to end the interview early. You can hear how it all went down in the video below via Awful Announcing:

What was funny is the way he was introduced by one of the hosts. “Adam Schefter’s got some time for us …” the host began. Turns out, Schefter didn’t.

Radio is a dynamic medium so you always have to be on your toes if you’re a host or producer, and this is a perfect example why. This also gives you an idea what it’s like to be a prominent NFL reporter. They probably can’t go five minutes without being bothered by an email, phone call, or text message. Though it looks like a glorious life, this is the downside.

via SI Hot Clicks

J.P. Arencibia does incredible Tim Kurkjian imitation (Video)

The folks at Baseball Tonight made good use of their time this week and had new employee Terry Francona film an interview with Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia. The best part was Arencibia conducted the interview as if he were ESPN baseball writer Tim Kurkjian. Arencibia got the lingo, pitch, voice, and delivery down perfectly, to the point Francona couldn’t continue because he was laughing so hard. This is easily one of the best impressions we’ve seen and it would probably make Frank Caliendo jealous. Excellent work all around, and it’s nice that Kurkjian was a good sport about it.

video via Buster Olney, also seen at The Daily Rival

Fired ESPN editor Anthony Federico’s issues statement about his character

Anthony Federico, the former ESPN editor fired for writing an offensive headline about Jeremy Lin and the Knicks, apologized for his headline on Monday, claiming it was an honest mistake. He took matters even further, issuing a heartfelt statement via Twitter Wednesday where he touted his character.

I wrote the headline in reference to the tone of the column and not to Jeremy Lin’s race. It was a lapse in judgment and not a racist pun. It was an awful editorial omission and it cost me my job.

I owe an apology to Jeremy Lin and all people offended. I am truly sorry.

Actions speak louder than words. My words may have hurt people in that moment but my actions have always helped people. If those who vilify me would take a deeper look at my life they would see that I am the exact opposite of how some are portraying me.

[Read more...]

Ron Jaworski says ESPN may feel two-man booth is way to go for MNF

ESPN hasn’t explained why they removed Ron Jaworski from the Monday Night Football booth. The New York Daily News speculated that they may be trying to make room for Peyton Manning, who is rehabbing a neck injury and trying to continue his football career. Jaws thinks ESPN may have just wanted to downsize and he became the odd man out.

“What I’m going to tell you is pure speculation, based on what I’ve heard … from the leaders and captains of industry at ESPN. They just feel that a two-man booth was the way to go. Obviously, I’m the odd man out. I’m the 60-year-old guy and Jon’s the young guy that they believe is the future. I’m not going to argue with that,” Jaws told 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia.

Jaws isn’t saying anything bad about his employer because they’re still giving him plenty of broadcasting opportunities and paying him lots of money. Still, I’m not sure if I buy his reasoning. While it’s true many networks utilize a two-man booth for football games, Monday Night Football has been a three-person booth for a good portion of its history. I don’t think they cut out Jaws to simplify, I think there’s something else coming in the next year or so.