Ad Unit
Thursday, March 30, 2017

MMA

Ronda Rousey begins working with new nutrition specialist

Ronda Rousey

We haven’t heard much regarding the future of Ronda Rousey since her loss to Amanda Nunes on Dec. 30, but she has made one recent move.

Rousey has begun working with a new nutrition specialist, according to an Instagram post by nutrition specialist Dan Garner.

Here’s the post, which was published on Tuesday:

“Wanted to give a good welcoming post to Ronda Rousey who has just recently joined the team, and is all set for the comprehensive nutritional programming process with myself. Excited to have her on board and to accomplish some great things with her this year,” Garner says in his post.

The part about looking forward to accomplishing great things with her this year will cause some speculation that Rousey may be gearing up for an MMA comeback.

She lost her perceived invincibility when she lost to Holly Holm in Nov. 2015, and then her aura was completely shattered with the following loss to Nunes. Rousey hasn’t commented one way or another about a potential comeback, though this Instagram post from January caused a stir.

Rousey, who previously was a vegan and has been diet-conscious for years, is 30 and has an acting career she has been pursuing the past few years. It’s unclear whether this new diet plan is intended to get her ready for MMA or more movie roles.

H/T Bloody Elbow

War Machine does not feel badly about potential life sentence

War Machine mug shot

Former MMA fighter War Machine was found guilty last week on 29 of 34 charges in his case for his attack on ex-girlfriend Christy Mack in 2014, and he is now facing life in prison. He’s apparently at peace with that.

In a lengthy statement he posted on Twitter Monday, War Machine began with a quote from a Johnny Cash song that reads, “Oh, I knew I had it comin’, I knew I couldn’t be free.” He then wrote that he is feeling “nothing but joy” after being convicted.

“Well, that didn’t go very well, now did it? Would you believe me, though, if I said that I have nothing but joy inside, even now as I am sure to receive some type of life sentence? It’s true,” War Machine wrote. “Often times I have heard men in neighboring cells go to their cells and cry after receiving such news, but how can I? How can I cry tears of sorrow over the circumstances responsible for saving my soul? These circumstances are what has transformed me into a real man, how can I disrespect god by weeping over them? How much is a soul worth? Is a life sentence too high a price? Not at all, I gladly trade this false life in for the real one to come; I have been nothing but blessed by all of this.”

While he made it clear he is not worried about potentially spending life in prison, War Machine did express some remorse.

“Now, if only I could somehow receive Christy’s forgiveness … And if only I could one day hear that she too had been saved! That would remove every last bit of tarnish from this tragedy,” he said. “CHRISTY: I am sorry for the man that I was, I am sorry for hurting you. One day, when enough time has passed, and when your wounds are fully healed, I hope that you will write to me, or, perhaps, even visit me, so that I can apologize completely, and so that I can tell you about all that I have found in regard to god. He is real and can heal and complete you deep inside, if only you knew the full extent to which he had healed me … I will never cease to pray for you.”

War Machine, whose real name is Jonathan Paul Koppenhaver, ended the statement by addressing members of his family and telling them he is “alive and happy for the first time in my life.” The 35-year-old is scheduled to be sentenced in early June.

The case involving War Machine and Mack received media attention in 2014 because War Machine was a fairly well known MMA fighter at the time, while Mack was a well known adult film star. Mack also released photos of her injuries following the horrific beating War Machine gave her.

H/T Bloody Elbow

Paul Heyman: Brock Lesnar was never at ‘physical peak’ for a UFC fight

Brock Lesnar

When you look at Brock Lesnar, it’s hard to imagine the heavyweight has ever lost a fight in the UFC. Lesnar always appears to be in top physical condition, but his manager insists that is rarely the case. For Lesnar’s UFC bouts, that has apparently never been the case.

In a recent appearance on the Fight Society Podcast, Paul Heyman spoke about Lesnar’s battles with diverticulitis over the past several years.

“I would suggest that Brock is really now in his physical prime because he was robbed of reaching his full potential as an athlete in his 20s and early-30ss by diverticulitis,” Heyman said, via Damon Martin of FOX Sports. “If you look back at his career, by the time he was in the NCAA Division I wrestling championships, he was already suffering from diverticulitis.”

We first learned about Lesnar’s struggles with the intestinal condition when he pulled out of his scheduled fight against Junior dos Santos in 2011, but diverticulitis was also the reason he had to bail on a fight in 2009. According to Heyman, the condition affected Lesnar long before that.

“So you never saw him at his full potential in college,” he continued. “You never saw him at his full potential in his first run in WWE. He went into the Minnesota Vikings camp not only with the diverticulitis inside of his system but a broken jaw and a fractured pelvis, which he covered in the book that we wrote together and then you never saw him, not once did you see him in UFC at his absolute physical peak.”

Lesnar, now 39, dominated Mark Hunt at UFC 200 last July only to have the win vacated because of multiple failed drug tests. He was suspended a year by the Nevada State Athletic Commission as a result, but Heyman said the recent rumors about Lesnar’s UFC career are not necessarily true.

While winning a UFC fight after his 40th birthday would be quite an accomplishment for Lesnar, the odds are still against it happening.

Glove tap to Bloody Elbow

War Machine found guilty on 29 charges in Christy Mack case

War Machine mug shot

Former MMA fighter War Machine was found guilty Monday on 29 of 34 charges in his case for his attack on ex-girlfriend Christy Mack in 2014.

War Machine was being tried in Las Vegas for his attack on Mack, his ex-girlfriend, and a man she was with at the time, Corey Thomas. He was found guilty of sexual assault, kidnapping, coercion and trying to dissuade a witness from reporting a crime, according to the AP.

The case received media attention in 2014 because War Machine was a fairly well known MMA fighter at the time, while Mack was a well known adult film star. Mack also released photos of her injuries following the horrific beating War Machine gave her.

War Machine had gone into hiding after his attack on Mack and was captured by authorities.

War Machine, real name Jonathan Paul Koppenhaver, could face life in prison. The jury deadlocked on two attempted murder charges. He is set to be sentenced in early June.

Conor McGregor gets in boxing reporter’s face with bold prediction

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor continues to do what he does best: talk a big game.

McGregor was in New York on Friday night to walk Mick Conlan into the ring for the Irishman’s professional boxing debut. Conlan won his fight in three rounds, which gave McGregor plenty of time to talk afterwards. McGregor did just that.

The famous UFC fighter got into the face of ESPN boxing writer Dan Rafael and promised some big things.

McGregor also promised to Yahoo’s Kevin Iole that he would shock the world by knocking out Floyd Mayweather.

There has been talk for months about McGregor switching from MMA to boxing to face Mayweather. Mayweather thinks it would be an easy fight, which is why he’s eager to come out of retirement for it and make countless millions. UFC president Dana White recently said he thinks the fight will happen.

Dana White believes Conor McGregor-Floyd Mayweather fight will happen

Floyd Mayweather conor Mcgregor

One of the biggest obstacles standing in the way of a Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight believes the bout will eventually happen.

During an appearance on “Conan” Wednesday night, UFC president Dana White was asked if he believes McGregor and Mayweather will eventually square off.

“I do,” White said, according to MMAFighting.com. “I think it’s going to be a tough deal, because obviously [there are] a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. On the flip side, there’s so much money involved. I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

The egos are certainly a factor, but White is downplaying his own role in the negotiations. Even if McGregor and Mayweather agree to financial terms, no fight is happening without White’s approval. McGregor has an exclusive contract with the UFC, so White would need to sign off on any fight the Irishman has outside of the organization.

Of course, White wants the UFC to somehow profit from the fight if it happens. That’s why he already made an offer to both fighters, but Mayweather understandably laughed it off.

In addition to the financial and contractual obstacles, White said there is a size difference between the two fighters that very few people have mentioned.

“Conor McGregor is huge,” White said. “He’s 27 years old. He’s in the prime of his career. Floyd is 40. Floyd has always had a problem with southpaws. Conor is a southpaw. And Conor hits hard. When he hits people, they go. Floyd’s definitely not knocking him out — that’s for sure. I’m not saying that Conor would win this boxing match, but it sure makes it interesting.”

As White said, there’s simply too much money at stake for the fight to not happen — assuming both fighters genuinely want it. Even if the quality of the bout itself winds up being a joke, Mayweather recently gave a great reason for why McGregor should want to box him.

This Edson Barboza flying knee knockout was incredible

Edson Barboza knee

Edson Barboza had a knockout so unreal on Saturday that it demands your attention.

Barboza beat Beneil Dariush at “UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum” on Saturday night in Brazil in the second round. He did so with this spectacular flying knee:

That was good enough to give Barboza the Performance of the Night.

The Brazilian fighter is now an impressive 19-4.

  • Filed Under:
  • MMA
Page 1 of 12512345...