Quantcast

Usain Bolt reportedly breaks up with girlfriend to focus on training

What won’t Olympians do to focus on their training as they prepare for the Summer Games? We already heard about swimmer Ryan Lochte cutting out fast food and candy from his diet, and now we’re hearing that sprinter Usain Bolt broke up with his girlfriend in order to focus on his training.

The Jamaica Star reported on Thursday that Bolt, 25, has put his relationship with 28-year-old fashion designer Lubica Slovak on hold.

Their report states that Bolt wants to “focus his energies on creating new records on the track,” and that he “cannot afford any distraction at this time.”

Another report says the split “was a mutual decision between two adults.”

The two reportedly had been dating since last December.

While Bolt’s desire to focus on the Olympics is likely a big reason for the break up/temporary split, there could be more to the story.

Bolt’s relationship with Slovak was heavily scrutinized after a picture of the couple kissing was published in the Jamaican Observer. Many Jamaicans felt a sense of betrayal by Bolt because he was dating a white woman.

Let’s hope Bolt is only postponing the relationship because of training purposes, not because he’s succumbing to public pressure. His countrymen don’t have any place telling him who he should or should not date.

Note: This post also appeared on Medal Detector
Photo Credit: Kirby Lee/Image of Sport-US PRESSWIRE

Ryan Lochte says he gave up fast food, candy to improve training

Ryan Lochte is one of the top swimmers in the world, but his ability and accomplishments were overshadowed by Michael Phelps’ historic performance at the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing. Motivated by a desire to achieve more at the London Olympics, Lochte says he made some changes to his diet and training.

“I wasn’t really happy with the way 2008 turned out for me,” Lochte told The Associate Press. “I wanted to change some things. I started eating healthier. I actually gave up fast food. I gave up candy and potato chips and everything else. I started watching what I ate.”

His diet isn’t the only thing he changed.

“I took my weight training to a new level,” he said. “I got a lot stronger, a lot bigger. I think it showed in the past three years how I progressed. So, hopefully, this summer, I’ll keep it going.”

Perhaps it’s the focused attitude and determination that leaves Lochte constantly believing that he will be the star of these Olympics.

“This is my time,” he keeps saying.

“I feel like that,” Lochte said. “I don’t know if it’s going to happen, but I definitely feel like that. Just all that hard work, all those hours in the pool, I feel like it’s about to pay off. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see this summer.”

I would contrast Lochte’s changes with Phelps’ purported diet, but the six-time gold medalist recently said his 12,000 calorie-a-day diet is just a myth. We’re expecting big things from Lochte at this summer’s games.

Photo Credit: OSports via US PRESSWIRE
Note: This post also appeared on Medal Detector

Michael Phelps says his 12,000-calorie diet is a ‘myth’

Four years ago in Beijing, when Michael Phelps wasn’t amazing us with the preposterous things he was pulling off in a swimming pool, the stories about his compulsive eating habits were.

His diet appeared to resemble that of a competitive eater rather than a record-breaking Olympian, and its ascendance from the sports world into pop culture lore all but signaled the diet’s legendary status. And that’s understandable. After all, Phelps was reportedly devouring a mind-boggling 12,000 calories per day.

But now Phelps is saying all the reports about his diet, to borrow a line from Mark Twain, have been greatly exaggerated. The 14-time Olympic gold medalist appeared on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show on Wednesday, and when Seacrest asked Phelps if he still had a mammoth diet, Phelps went into myth-busting mode.

“I never ate that much,” Phelps said. “It’s all a myth. I’ve never eaten that many calories. I wish. It’s just too much though. It would be impossible.”

This is probably a good thing. Anytime you’re housing a pound of pasta and an entire pizza for dinner it can’t be for the better. Although, we just wish Phelps could have cleared this up before we had to endure this lousy sketch from his episode of SNL.

Hear Seacrest’s full interview with Phelps here.

Note: This post also appeared on Yardbarker’s Olympic blog Medal Detector

Photo credit: Brian Spurlock-US PRESSWIRE

Dwyane Wade has yet to decide if he will play for Team USA

Despite injuries to Derrick Rose and Dwight Howard, Team USA will still be bringing plenty of talent to the London Olympics. If any more players suffer injuries or back out, however, things could get a bit hairy. With guys like Dwyane Wade not yet willing to give a 100 percent commitment, head coach Mike Krzyzewski and team chairman Jerry Colangelo have to be getting a bit concerned.

According to NBA.com’s David Aldridge, Wade is planning to let his body dictate whether or not he joins Team USA this summer.

“I told them, I said, listen, I’m just going to see how I feel,” Wade said last week. “This is about being healthy — I think, for all of us, going into the summer healthy — and taking it from there.”

While that does not mean Wade plans to sit the Olympics out, he’s taking a different tone from LeBron James, who seems like he fully intends to play. When asked about Wade’s indecisiveness, Colangelo seemed like he was caught off-guard.

“You could, today, probably come up with 10 or 11 that look pretty solid unless something happens,” he told Aldridge over the phone. “Wade’s one of those guys, but if he feels like he doesn’t have anything left or doesn’t think he can go, then we’ll make a decision as to who replaces him. We do have a lot of flexibility because we have guys who can play so many positions.”

Team USA remains loaded with talent and can still count on LeBron, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Russell Westbrook, and many others, but at the moment if feels like players who were once considered shoe-ins are either on the shelf or on the fence. If the trend continues, Coach K and company may have to dig a bit deeper than they initially expected.

Note: This post also appeared on Medal Detector

H/T Game On!
Photo credit: Jerry Lai-US PRESSWIRE

Worker smuggles fake bomb into Olympic Park to expose security flaws (Video)

Thanks to an eye-opening stunt performed by one of the workers at London’s Olympic Park, the city of London is now aware that security for the upcoming Olympic Games is extremely inadequate. Just hours before the official opening of the Olympic Stadium, a man who has worked at the site for several years successfully smuggled a fake bomb through security and right into the heart of the grounds.

As you can see from the exclusive video above that The Sun posted over the weekend, the worker was able to drive his truck right through multiple security checkpoints without being searched or questioned. The device, which looked exactly like a bomb and was wired like one, was carried in the cabin of the man’s digger in plain sight, yet his voyage went unchallenged.

[Read more...]

Warren Buffet’s ping pong prodigy Ariel Hsing makes U.S. Olympic team

Warren Buffet has discovered a ping pong phenom, and she is now on her way to the London Olympics this summer. When Ariel Hsing was a mere 11 years old, Buffet invited her to a shareholders meeting in Omaha to play table tennis against a number of prominent businessmen, including Bill Gates. Gates is a known ping pong enthusiast, and Hsing blew him and others out of the water. As you can already tell by watching the video above, Hsing’s pong skills are off the chart.

Ariel is now 16 years old and is the best under-18 player in the world. She is ranked No. 2 in the world across all age groups. Hsing’s unmatched skill has earned her a spot on the U.S. Olympic team, one that she earned while maintaining stellar grades in high school according to the Wall Street Journal. Her priority at the moment is preparing for the SAT exam, which she hopes will help her achieve her dream of attending Stanford in a couple years.

[Read more...]

Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins could be added as Team USA finalists

With injuries continuing to pile up throughout the NBA playoffs, Team USA’s final roster candidates are wearing thin. The team that heads to London will be comprised of 12 players, and five of the 20 original finalists have to pass either because of injuries or other reasons. As a result, USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo has left open the possibility of adding a few new finalists. One of them may not even be in the NBA yet.

According to ESPN.com, Colangelo announced on Tuesday in Las Vegas that the team intends to add a player or two to the preliminary roster. With Dwight Howard out with a back injury and Andrew Bynum not interested in competing, Team USA is in need of big men. The spots could be offered to Kings center DeMarcus Cousins, Pistons big man Greg Monroe, or Kentucky superstar Anthony Davis.

“I think we have concluded to some degree, although we’re not finished with our meetings, that we will probably add one or two players to that pool and that’s because of circumstances,” Colangelo said. “And we are probably at this point not going to make any announcement on who that 12 will be until the very last moment as we watch the NBA games and keep our fingers crossed that no other further injuries take place.”

As we told you last week, Cousins is very interested in joining the team and believes he would earn a final roster spot if given the chance. It is interesting that Davis, who is the consensus No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft, would be considered. While he certainly showed he is capable of dominating the college game, he would be a longshot as one of the final 12 players to make the Team USA roster strictly because of inexperience. The fact that he is reportedly being considered, however, shows us how highly he is viewed as an NBA prospect.

Note: This post also appeared on Medal Detector

Photo credit: Richard Mackson-US PRESSWIRE