Brett Favre reportedly turned down offer from St. Louis Rams
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Rams reached out to Favre on Sunday night after Sam Bradford suffered a season-ending knee injury in a loss to the Carolina Panthers. The 44-year-old declined.
There were initially rumors that the Rams were interested in Tim Tebow, though that clearly was not the case as I’m sure Tebow would have been more than willing to sign with St. Louis.
During a radio interview on Thursday morning, Favre confirmed there was interest but said there’s “no way in hell” he’s making another comeback.
“It’s flattering, but there’s no way in hell I’m going to do that,” he told SportsTalk, via the Washington Post. I can honestly sit here and say I don’t go ‘I want to do that’ or ‘I feel like I could do that better.’ I leave that up to other people. I think if anything the last year I played was an obvious, writing-on-the-wall vision for you, if you will. It was time.”
So what’s more surprising, the fact that the Rams were reportedly willing to take a chance on a 44-year-old quarterback who hasn’t played in three years, or the fact that Favre turned them down? He’s only come out of retirement, what, 13 times? The Rams’ front office must have taken what Favre’s agent said recently a bit too seriously. I think he was just trying to compliment his client.