Chargers reach out to Antonio Gates
The Los Angeles Chargers are moving one step closer to bringing back their future Hall of Fame tight end.
In an appearance Wednesday on 97.3 The Fan in San Diego, Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said that the team has been in touch with Antonio Gates and his representatives about a potential reunion.
“Obviously, Antonio would be a natural fit,” said Telesco, according to Jack Wang of the LA Daily News. “He’s someone that we have talked to. We’ve talked to his representatives. Sometimes, it’s not just as easy as saying, ‘Hey, let’s just bring him back. Let’s go.’”
The soon-to-be 38-year-old Gates, an eight-time Pro Bowler, has played all 15 seasons of his career with the Chargers. He caught 30 passes for 316 yards and three touchdowns last year but remains unsigned for the 2018 season.
Gates had previously been speculated as an option for the Chargers after tight end Hunter Henry suffered a torn ACL last month. With Virgil Green next up on the depth chart, a Gates signing could still make sense for them, even considering his age.