Quantcast

Aaron Hernandez letter from jail: ‘It will all die down when they say not guilty’

Aaron HernandezAaron Hernandez has been writing letters as he remains inside a cell at Bristol County House of Corrections awaiting trial for the murder of Odin Lloyd. One of those letters, which he allegedly wrote to a fan, has gone public.

According to TMZ, this letter was written by Hernandez in response to a fan who sent him a letter telling him how he was in the same jail 15 years ago. Law enforcement officials have reportedly verified the authenticity of the letter, in which Hernandez asked the fan to “keep this off social media please.” So much for that.

In the message, Hernandez emphasized to the fan that he is not guilty and that the “false accusations” will “all die down” when a judge rules in his favor. He also said that God has placed him in prison for a reason and that he has kept a smile on his face, adding that he is a “strong person” with an “amazing heart.” Here’s a transcription of the letter:

[Read more...]

Police reportedly search lake in Aaron Hernandez’s hometown for murder weapon

Aaron HernandezOne major snag that prosecutors could face in the Aaron Hernandez murder investigation is that the murder weapon that was used to kill Odin Lloyd has not yet been found. Police have seized several pieces of key evidence including ammunition and surveillance photos that appear to show Hernandez holding a handgun, but the gun used to shoot Lloyd remains missing.

Investigators may have been searching for it again on Monday morning. According to WFSB in Connecticut, a crew searched Pine Lake in Hernandez’s hometown of Bristol, Conn. for a possible weapon connected to the murder of Lloyd. Police reportedly began the search after receiving a tip from someone who said the .45 caliber Glock that was allegedly used to kill Lloyd may have been thrown into the lake.

Officials said that investigators would likely be at the lake all day and may return Tuesday if nothing is found, so it could be a strong tip.

Earlier this month, police searched a stretch of highway in Massachusetts and were believed to be looking for the murder weapon among other ballistic evidence. It is unknown if that search turned up anything significant, but the report from Monday would seem to indicate the search for the murder weapon continues.

See all the LBS coverage on the Aaron Hernandez murder case

H/T Pro Football Talk

Aaron Hernandez surveillance photos appear to show him holding gun night of murder

Aaron HernandezProsecutors have claimed that some of the strongest pieces of evidence they have against Aaron Hernandez supporting his alleged involvement in the murder of Odin Lloyd are surveillance photos of him holding a handgun the night of the shooting. On Thursday, we got our first look at those photos.

Boston Globe reporter Brian Ballou obtained a copy of a 104-page affidavit which included some images of Hernandez holding an object that appeared to be a gun. He also appeared to be wearing the white hooded sweatshirt that investigators say he was wearing the night Lloyd was killed.

[Read more...]

Florida removes Aaron Hernandez’s All-American brick from football facility

Aaron-Hernandez-brick-removed

Aaron Hernandez was selected as a first team All-American following his junior season at Florida in 2009. The university was proud of the accomplishment at the time and decided to etch Hernandez’s name in history with a brick outside of its football facility. In the wake of the 23-year-old’s arrest and ensuing murder charge, that pride seems to have disappeared.

Florida made the decision to remove the brick on Thursday.

[Read more...]

Bill Belichick on Aaron Hernandez: ‘I’m responsible for players we bring in’

Bill-Belichick-Aaron-HernandezBill Belichick spoke to the media on Tuesday for the first time since former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was arrested and charged with the murder of Odin Lloyd. While most of his press conference was vintage Belichick, he showed more compassion and regret than many people expected him to.

Belichick began the news conference by expressing his condolences to the Lloyd family and calling the murder a “tragedy.”

“This is a sad day on so many levels,” Belichick said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the victim.”

Belichick mentioned Hernandez by name at the very beginning of his lengthy opening statement, but only referred to him as “the player” from that point on. He stated that he agreed “100%” with the comments Patriots owner Robert Kraft made about the situation earlier this offseason, and then surprised some by taking responsibility for the fact that Hernandez did not work out.

“We’ll learn from this terrible experience,” Belichick said. “This does not in any way represent the way the New England Patriots want to do things. As coach, I’m primarily responsible for people we bring into this organization. Personally, I’m challenged by decisions that affect the team on a daily basis. We always try to do what’s best for the team. We’ll continue to do this and will work to do a better job going forward.”

[Related: Tom Brady gives first comments since Aaron Hernandez arrest]

After his opening statement, Belichick was very vague and answered very few questions. He said he has been advised to not speak about individuals who are involved in an ongoing investigation, but did give some insight when asked if the Patriots have looked into the claim that other football players visited Hernandez’s so-called “flop house.” He said the team has “absolutely done as much as we can” to gather information on that front.

Overall, I thought Belichick handled the situation well. He put his typical arrogance aside and delivered an adequate opening statement. While saying he has been advised to not speak about individuals who are involved in an ongoing investigation will be seen as a copout, it’s smart. Regardless of how compelling the evidence is against Hernandez, his trial has yet to even begin. Saying too much could get the team into trouble.

See all the LBS coverage of the Aaron Hernandez murder

Report: Prosecutors want Aaron Hernandez charged for 2012 murders

Aaron HernandezA grand jury in Suffolk, Mass., is convening regarding an unsolved double murder from last July, and prosecutors are making the case that Aaron Hernandez should be charged in the murders, according to The Boston Globe.

After Hernandez was charged in the murder of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd last month, information concerning the former tight end’s troubled past emerged. Speculation began that Hernandez may have been connected to a drive-by shooting in the South End of Boston last July that left two men dead. Witnesses said the car driven by the perpetrators was a gray or silver SUV with Rhode Island plates. Reports later indicated that the car was rented in Hernandez’s name.

The Globe says prosecutors are not in a hurry to charge Hernandez for the deaths of Safiro Furtado and Daniel Abreu because the tight end is already being held in jail without bail. A motive for the murder has not been established. Furtado and Abreu worked together for a cleaning company, and their relatives say the men did not know Hernandez.

The Suffolk grand jury will hear evidence from the Suffolk County prosecutors and witnesses subpoenaed to testify. The grand jury needs to determine whether there is enough evidence to indict the defendant. A majority vote is required for indictment.

[Related: Aaron Hernandez investigated for 2007 Florida shooting]

If Hernandez is indicted, that means he could be facing murder charges in multiple cases at the same time. And if he is guilty, that means it is possible he played all last season for the New England Patriots after being part of a double murder.

See all the LBS coverage of the Aaron Hernandez murder case

Tom Brady on Aaron Hernandez: ‘I have moved on’

Tom-Brady-PatriotsNew England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady made his first public comments about the Aaron Hernandez situation this week. As you might expect, the two-time Super Bowl MVP was very vague.

During an interview with Peter King of Sports Illustrated, Brady stopped short of directly addressing the Hernandez murder charge when asked about it. He did, however, say he has left it in the past.

“I’ve seen a lot of things over 13 years, and what I have learned is that mental toughness and putting aside personal agendas for what’s in the best interest of the team matters most,” Brady said. “My job is to play quarterback, and I’m going to do that the best way I know how, because I owe that to my teammates regardless of who is out there on the field with me.

“I have moved on. I’m focusing on the great teammates I have who are committed to helping us win games. The only thing I care about is winning. Nothing is going to ever get in the way of that goal. I’m just excited to report to camp and see what we can accomplish as a team. The fate of our season will be determined by the players in our locker room—nothing else.”

[Related: Tom Brady told Tim Tebow Aaron Hernandez is 'a lot to handle']

Those who have followed the Patriots and Brady’s career should not have expected him to say any more than that. Hernandez was one of the best players New England had in 2012, but he’s no longer a member of the team. Bill Belichick, who will say essentially the same thing as Brady during his press conference on Wednesday, has always made sure to keep the focus on the players currently on his roster.

In non-Hernandez news, Brady told King he feels like he can continue to play in the NFL beyond the age of 40.

“The way I feel now, it’s beyond 40,” he said. “I have a lot of goals, and I am in this for the long haul. I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. Whether the team wants me, or whether something [like an injury] happens tomorrow to stop me from playing, that remains to be seen. But my training, my nutrition, the bodywork I do—I can’t see not playing at any time in the near future. There’s nothing I love to do more.”

Players come and go within every football organization. It’s not often that one of them leaves because of a murder charge, but the concept for the Patriots remains the same. Hernandez was a luxury last season when healthy. He has nothing to do with the Patriots’ on-field product in 2013.