Clippers forward Blake Griffin got some good news Thursday when he learned he was voted into the All-Star Game as a starter. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to deliver the same good news to the fans. Griffin says he’s not planning to defend his dunk competition title.
“As of right now I don’t plan on being in it,” Griffin said Thursday night. “Those dunk contests aren’t my thing, I said that last year. There’s a lot of guys that can put on a great show and do some good stuff.”
Wait, wait, wait a second. Blake says the dunk contests aren’t his thing? I’m sorry, sir, but they were invented for guys like you.
“Last year was hectic and it kind of made it unenjoyable,” Griffin said. “So this year, we’ll see what will happen, but I will try to tone it down a bit and get a break instead of being so busy.”
That’s certainly understandable. Blake played in the rookie-sophomore game, the All-Star Game, and participated in the dunk contest. There’s no doubt it tired him out at a time when he should be enjoying things. But Blake is only 22. He should give the fans another show or two before officially retiring from the competition.