Quantcast

Bobby Jenks arrested after DUI hit-and-run: ‘I took too many muscle relaxers’

Bobby Jenks was arrested early Friday morning and charged with a DUI among four other accounts — one of which includes leaving the scene of an accident. As expected, the details from the arrest report are fantastic. The 31-year-old Jenks was stopped while driving his Mercedes Benz SUV in Fort Myers, Fla. at 2:35 a.m. His alleged statements to the police — which were passed along by WEEI.com — did nothing to help his case.

When Deputy Marsha Sutphin stopped Jenks and asked him if he knew why he had been pulled over, his response was, “Probably because I was all over the road back there.” Sutphin then asked him why he was all over the road, to which he replied, “I took too many muscle relaxers.”

It gets better. Deputy Sutphin then asked Jenks if he had taken anything else besides the muscle relaxers. He reportedly had a difficult time speaking, but provided another classic response.

“(I am) going to be honest with you, I was just leaving Babe’s because I hit a car,” Jenks explained. “I just had to get out of there.”

Babe’s, as WEEI pointed out, is a nightclub in Fort Myers where a bouncer says a car that matched the description of Jenks’ vehicle struck a parked car at around 11:45 p.m. The bouncer said he tried to get Jenks out of the car and offered to call him a cab, but he proceeded to hit another car and drive off.

Finally, when Deputy Sutphin asked Jenks if he would submit to a field sobriety test, he said that he would but he would fail it. We’ll let you guess what happened after that. Bravo, Bobby. Bravo.

Was Oney Guillen Out of Line for Calling Out Bobby Jenks on Twitter?

Much like his father, the outspoken Ozzie Guillen, Oney Guillen isn’t bashful about sharing his feelings. Oney was fired by the White Sox last Spring Training for being critical of the organization. Now he’s no longer a member of the organization, but his father remains the team’s manager, and he still defends his dad no matter what. Take for instance what happened this week.

Former White Sox closer Bobby Jenks, who signed with the Red Sox after not receiving the type of offer he wanted from Chicago, expressed some disappointment with the White Sox. He event went so far as to criticize Ozzie:

“With the way Ozzie was talking this winter and the way he treated me, I don’t want to fight with the guy. How many times did he question my ability, and then saying how he would love to have me back, but I would have to come to Spring Training and fight for the closer’s role like anyone else?

“Why would I come back to that negativity?” Jenks said. “I’m looking forward to playing for a manager who knows how to run a bullpen.”

Well it’s that type of criticism, and the last zinger about a manager who knows how to run a bullpen, that had Oney livid. The fiery youngster lashed out against Jenks with a couple of nuclear bombs on his twitter account.

[Read more...]

Bobby Jenks Has a Chance to Become Red Sox Closer ‘After’ Jonathan Papelbon

Theo Epstein and the Boston Red Sox ownership are on a mission. The objective is simple: surpass the Yankees over the course of the 2010-2011 offseason. We haven’t even gotten to 2011 yet, and it would appear the mission has been accomplished.

After bolstering their lineup by trading for Adrian Gonzalez and signing Carl Crawford, the only glaring hole the Red Sox had remaining was in the bullpen. They addressed that need on Thursday, signing former White Sox closer Bobby Jenks to a two-year, $12 million deal and former Orioles reliever Matt Albers to a one-year deal. The reports about Jenks are particularly interesting, however.

If you go here and read Buster Olney’s report about Jenks on ESPNBoston.com, you’ll see that Olney’s source said Jenks was told “he’ll be a set-up man in 2011 and will have a chance to be the closer if Jonathan Papelbon is replaced.”  That’s almost what the initial report said, but not quite.

LBS reader and friend, Andrew Richard, immediately informed Larry Brown Sports about the deal and quoted directly from Olney’s report in which the last words of the above statement were originally “… chance to be the closer after Jonathan Papelbon is replaced.”  A WEEI.com report confirms that those were the words originally included in the ESPN report, via Olney’s source.

So what happened here?  It’s not really a secret that Jonathan Papelbon is going to hit free agency after 2011 and demand years and dollars Boston is unwilling to shell out.  But did Olney’s source hear that Jenks was told he’d have a chance to be the closer “if” or “when” Papelbon is replaced?  Pap may be a dancing fool, but he’s no dummy.  I’m sure he knows he’s gone after this season.  What we aren’t sure of is if he appreciates the Red Sox making it known that his career in Boston has an expiration date, if that’s indeed what they told Jenks.  We’re going to try to email someone at ESPN to see if we can find out what happened.