Quantcast

Pete Rose screwed up his reinstatement plan from Bud Selig

Pete Rose jacket

Pete Rose had a reinstatement plan set up for him by MLB Commissioner Bud Selig, but a book he put out in March derailed those plans, so says Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt.

Schmidt, who has lobbied for his former teammate many times in the past, wrote a column for the Associated Press Sunday in which he argued for Rose’s reinstatement by Major League Baseball. Schmidt defends Rose, argues that a bad entourage got to the Hit King regarding the gambling, and ultimately says he wants Rose’s name to appear on the Hall of Fame ballot.

One thing to come out of Schmidt’s column that I previously was not aware of is that Selig actually had a reinstatement plan for Rose that was ruined when Charlie Hustle put out a recent book.

From Schdmit’s column:

Following Pete’s apologetic admittance to gambling after 14 years of denial, Commissioner Selig seemed in a cooperative and forgiving mood, actually helping to map out an itinerary for Pete’s possible reinstatement.

Over the following few months, things went sour, as did the commissioner’s attitude.

Pete’s penchant for bad decisions and relationships, plus a need for money, caused a premature book release in New York, which conflicted with the Hall of Fame election news conference. This was a direct hit to baseball and couldn’t have come at a worse time for Pete.

Commissioner Selig never returned to this issue with the same attitude he had that day in Milwaukee, and the Rose case file hasn’t been opened since.

I’m trying to piece together the timeline laid out by Schmidt here. The publication date of the recent Rose book, “Pete Rose an American Dilemma,” is March 11, 2014. The first review I saw for it was Jan. 12, 2014. The results of the 2014 Hall of Fame class voting were announced on Jan. 8, 2014. Seems like Rose had his book reviewed around the same time the Hall of Fame class was announced.

We don’t know all the details of the situation between Selig and Rose. Selig recently said he still has five months to think about reinstating Rose before his tenure as MLB commissioner ends. It seems like he is more than open to the possibility of reinstating Rose, but Pete just can’t get out of his own way. For younger fans, I imagine this is not too dissimilar from working with Jose Canseco, who we all know can be extremely flaky. I still bet Selig reinstates Rose for his last act as commissioner.

Bud Selig: I have five months to think about Pete Rose

Pete Rose TimeWill Bud Selig’s last act as MLB commissioner be to reinstate Pete Rose, the same person who was banished from baseball for life in 1989 after it was found he gambled on the game while managing?

Selig was in Cincinnati on Friday and knew the question would come up. Bud Light said he still has five months to contemplate what — if anything — he will do.

“How it ends, eventually, I do not know,” he said via FOX Sports Ohio. “I’ve taken it seriously, talked to a lot of people. It is one of those situations that is difficult and you wished it didn’t exist. I have to think about this. I have five months to think about it.”

Selig gave a rambling, filibustering type of answer to the questions. But it does sound like he will at least consider the possibility of reinstating Rose.

“All factors enter my mind on this,” said Selig. “I’ve spent many hours talking to people, a lot of players, some of whom I’m very close to. I’ve spent an enormous mount of time on this. And in the end I’m going to say what I say to people on any subject. I have to do what I’ve always been trained to do. Do what I think — what I think — is in the best interest of this sport. That transcends everything else.”

That’s hardly a convincing answer from Buddy Boy. One of the big issues is that reinstating Rose would undo all the work done by Bart Giamatti, Selig’s close friend. Bud Light’s got such a stick up his butt you know he probably would feel too much shame to overturn Giamatti’s punishment. He should, though. It’s been long enough.

Mark Cuban rips Bud Selig for Alex Rodriguez suspension

Mark-Cuban-Jay-LenoMajor League Baseball acted outside the scope of its drug policy earlier this week by suspending Alex Rodriguez for 211 games. If A-Rod used performance-enhancing substances, it would be the first time he was found guilty of doing so since the league introduced a specific policy for PED suspensions. First-time offenders are supposed to receive a 50-game ban.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban believes MLB had no right to suspend A-Rod for as long as it did and reportedly threaten to ban him for life. During an appearance on “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno on Thursday night, he blasted commissioner Bud Selig.

“I think it’s disgraceful what Major League Baseball is trying to do to him,” Cuban said. “It’s not that he doesn’t deserve to be suspended — he does. But they have policies in place. 211 games? That’s personal.

“It’s basically become Bud Selig’s mafia. He runs it the way he wants to run it. When I was trying to buy the Rangers, it was an open auction. I sat in there with my good hard-earned money trying to bid and they did everything possible to keep me from buying the team. They had lawyers in there trying to change the rules. They had people trying to put up more money. It was horrible.”

Cuban obviously has a biased opinion because of his past dealings with Selig, which he basically admitted. He sounds like MLBPA director Michael Weiner in bashing the league for the suspension, but very few people feel sympathy for A-Rod.

Ryan Braun was also a first-time offender, yet he accepted more than a 50-game suspension after MLB presented its evidence. If the league’s evidence against Rodriguez is even more compelling and includes proof that he interfered with their investigation, he also deserves more than a 50-game ban.

Bud Selig reportedly prepared to ‘throw the book’ at Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez YankeesUnlike Milwuakee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun, New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez has yet to reach an agreement with Major League Baseball regarding punishment for his alleged involvement with Tony Bosch’s Biogenesis clinic. MLB investigators have reportedly uncovered much more evidence against A-Rod than Braun, but the belief is that Rodriguez is going to appeal any suspension he is given.

According to a recent report in the NY Daily News, MLB commissioner Bud Selig is willing to do everything in his power to stop A-Rod from getting his way. Selig reportedly wants Rodriguez gone from the game of baseball — for good.

As the Daily News pointed out, Article XI Section A1b of baseball’s collective bargaining agreement states that the commissioner has the right to take action against a player if it means preserving the integrity of the game. If Selig were able to successfully invoke the clause against A-Rod, he might be able to bypass the grievance process that the MLB Players Association can typically use when appealing drug-related penalties.

MLB investigators reportedly believe Rodriguez tried to “intimidate witnesses and purchase incriminating documents” to protect himself, which is why the violations he has allegedly committed extend far beyond performance-enhancing drug use. If Article XI Section A1b comes into play, Selig is the person who would hear any appeal A-Rod files. And we have an idea of how that would go.

The Daily News insists that MLB officials believe they have enough evidence against A-Rod to prove that he intentionally interfered with their investigation. As a result, Selig may try to bypass the standard arbitration procedures to keep Rodriguez from ever playing again, even if it leads to a federal court case.

At this point, it sounds as though Rodriguez’s best shot at earning some of the roughly $100 million the Yankees still owe him would be to accept a deal with MLB. There have been rumors that he could be facing a suspension that would keep him out until the start of the 2015 season, which is obviously not ideal for the career of a 38-year-old player with two bad hips. It may, however, be the best chance he has at cashing in.

Bob Costas: Bud Selig is trying to repair his steroid legacy

Bud SeligMLB has taken a harsh stance towards those who violate the league’s drug policy and seems insistent on moving past the “steroid era” of the game. Not only has the league instituted a strong drug testing program, but it is also working hard to enforce penalties. MLB went to great lengths to pursue the Biogenesis scandal — striking a deal with Tony Bosch and paying for evidence — and they suspended former NL MVP Ryan Braun for 65 games this season. All the players connected to the Biogenesis records are facing suspensions from the league.

After baseball was a haven for steroid users for nearly two decades — keep in mind that both players and owners benefited from having steroids in the game — they’re finally cleaning things up. Broadcaster Bob Costas believes that is because commissioner Bud Selig is determined to change his legacy regarding steroids.

“It’s very obvious that baseball is serious about this,” Costas stated in an interview with Amani Toomer and Eytan Shander on NBC Sports Radio. “They weren’t serious for much too long, and Bud Selig does not want it to be part of his legacy — although it will be inevitably because he looked the other way in the 1990s — he wants to repair that legacy as much as he can. He wants to leave office being able to say truthfully that baseball had the toughest and most effective anti-drug program of any of the four major North American sports.”

Costas noted that MLB has undergone a total culture change regarding steroids. Not only is the commissioner’s office tougher, but the player’s association is no longer in denial about the steroids problem in the game, and they’re no longer blocking the league from testing or penalizing players. Costas believes that MLB was determined to penalize Braun because of how everything unfolded with the outfielder’s appeal of his positive drug test. He specifically said MLB was “infuriated” by what happened.

[Read more...]

Bud Selig claims he has never sent an email and never will

Bud-Selig-instant-replay-attendanceBug Selig has done a tremendous job of dragging his heels when it comes to introducing new technology like expanded instant replay to Major League Baseball. Part of that is a generational issue. Selig is 78 years old and cut from the old school, which is why he has stressed the importance of keeping the “human element” of the game intact even if it means less accurate outcomes.

Selig has said he is going to retire in 2014, and that may end up being best for the game. Especially if the guy is telling the truth about sending an email.

Is that even possible? I guess when you’re in a position of power for such a long time, you have people who send emails for you. But my grandmother is 87 and even she loves texting and emailing so she can stay in touch. Has Selig never had to do that?

If the instant replay thing didn’t make sense to you before, perhaps it will now.

H/T Deadspin

Bud Selig repeatedly calls 2013 MLB Draft ’2000′ draft (Video)

Bud Selig draftOld habits die hard. At least they do for Bud Selig.

The MLB commissioner announced three of the first eight picks of the 2013 first-year player draft as the “2000″ draft. He even called it the 2000 first-year player draft for the first overall pick, which he had all year to rehearse.

“With the first selection of the 2000 first-year player draft, the Houston Astros select Mark Appel.”

Selig also repeated the mistake at No. 6 when he announced the Miami Marlins selected Colin Moran, and at No. 8 when the Kansas City Royals selected Hunter Dozier. And not on video — he did it when announcing the St. Louis Cardinals’ pick at No. 19.

Maybe Selig just had one of those mindblocks. As someone who has been on air before, I know how that can happen. Still, this was pretty funny.