If the Buffalo Bills end up paying Tyrod Taylor the remaining guaranteed money he would be owed by being on the roster after March 11, it will be because the team chose to keep him around.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Taylor has been medically cleared after he underwent groin surgery last month.
Bills' Tyrod Taylor, who has $27.5M option bonus due March 11, has been medically cleared from last month’s groin surgery, per team source.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 22, 2017
As Schefter notes, the Bills now have to decide if they want to guarantee Taylor nearly $30 million by exercising his option. Had Taylor not been cleared medically, the contract would have become guaranteed anyway.
While there have been rumblings that the Bills would have interest in one big-name quarterback if he became available, sticking with Taylor may be their best option. The former Virginia Tech star is likely better than anything Buffalo would find on the free agent market, and paying him an average of around $18 million per season is right in line with what other starting quarterbacks are making.
The Buffalo Bills have just a few more weeks to decide if they want to pick up Tyrod Taylor’s option and guarantee the quarterback another $30 million, and they could be watching the Tony Romo situation closely to determine what their next move will be.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Network said Tuesday that the Bills would be one of the teams with interest in Romo if the Dallas Cowboys end up releasing the 37-year-old veteran. However, Rapoport added that he has been told there is a better chance of the Bills keeping Taylor than cutting him.
An ideal situation for the Bills would be Taylor agreeing to take less guaranteed money on a restructured contract, but he reportedly has no interest in doing that. Taylor’s camp believes another team would sign the former Virginia Tech star to a deal worth as much as the six-year, $92 million contract he agreed to with Buffalo last offseason, if not more.
In reality, Taylor is probably the Bills’ best option even if they think he is too expensive. Romo wants to play for a contender, and there has been no indication that Buffalo is one of the teams on his wishlist. Unless he sees something nobody else does, Romo probably wouldn’t want to join the Bills anyway.
It seems evident the Buffalo Bills will survey other options for the quarterback position in 2017, and one of them may be in-house.
According to Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News, general manager Doug Whaley finds the prospect of Cardale Jones at quarterback “appealing.”
Buffalo faces a difficult decision with only a limited number of available quarterbacks. Jimmy Garoppolo likely won’t be dealt within the AFC East, and Tony Romo is unlikely to see the Bills as being close enough to contention to be interested. The rest of those options would either fall in the draft or lower-tier free agents.
Current starter Tyrod Taylor may be on the way out, and while Jones may be talented, he has also been dogged by questions of maturity and readiness. Nevertheless, with an absence of alternatives, starting him going forward is apparently under consideration.
The Buffalo Bills have one month to decide if they want to pick up Tyrod Taylor’s option and guarantee him another $30 million. In an ideal world, Taylor would agree to restructure his contract to make it more team-friendly. Unfortunately for the team, that sounds highly unlikely.
Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News reports that Taylor is “unwilling” to agree to a contract restructure that would reduce his salary. The quarterback and his agent are said to be convinced that another team would sign Taylor to a deal worth as much as the six-year, $92 million contract he agreed to with the Bills last offseason, if not more.
And they’re probably right. Taylor’s average annual salary of $18 million is right in line with what NFL starting quarterbacks make. While he had a slightly down year in 2016, he has thrown 37 touchdown passes compared to just 12 interceptions over the past two seasons. He’s a true dual-threat quarterback who has shown he can be effective when healthy and with the right pieces around him.
For comparison, Brock Osweiler’s average annual salary with the Houston Texans is $18 million. Taylor, just 27, would almost certainly be able to get that type of deal from a desperate team like the Cleveland Browns or possibly New York Jets.
The only other options for the Bills are to try to turn 2016 fourth-round pick Cardale Jones into a starter or draft a quarterback. Either would mean Buffalo is looking at a complete rebuild.
Some of the drama that unfolded toward the end of the season led many to believe Taylor was on borrowed time with the Bills, but he still may be their best option going forward.
The New England Patriots inspire incredible amounts of paranoia in some teams, though one team really went beyond the pale.
According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, the Buffalo Bills under coach Rex Ryan went so far as to shred all their gameplans and other printed information in the week leading up to games against New England.
Ryan and his staff were apparently concerned enough that the Patriots would pay janitors in their building to steal and leak information that they felt it was a reasonable precaution to take. It was not a step that was taken when facing any other team.
Whatever the case, it didn’t help the Bills much, as they lost to the Patriots in three of their four meetings with Ryan as head coach. It hasn’t worked that well for other teams, either.
It hasn’t been a great month of PR for the Buffalo Bills, but don’t tell ownership that the organization is dysfunctional.
Owner Terry Pegula took exception to the Bills being hit with that label, and he considers it “an insult.”
“I think that all started with some false information printed in the national media about our organization,” Pegula told Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “I’ve got to believe it’s from people who have no idea what our organization’s like or how we operate within. I honestly believe that. I disagree with their opinions, and I can tell you one thing: We had a lot of applications and people who wanted that coaching job with the Bills. So I don’t know what these guys are writing about.
“I know how I run my life, run our business. I know how we treat people, and I know the people we have in our organization. You can’t pin 17 years on the Pegulas. We’ve been around for X-number of years. There’s no foundation, no truth to this dysfunctional talk. I consider it an insult to our organization and the Bills and the good people with the Sabres. They can’t be real happy to hear that.”
A big part of that was this Doug Whaley press conference, which was the latest in a series of revelations that seemed to indicate that ownership was calling all the shots and the power of the front office and coaching staff had been marginalized. Obviously, the Pegulas don’t want such a reputation, but failure tends to breed stories like this, and for better or worse, the Pegulas will have to deal with those stories when the franchise continues to not make the playoffs.
Less than 24 hours after officially announcing their move from San Diego to Los Angeles, the Chargers have hired a new head coach.
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Anthony Lynn and the Chargers have agreed to a four-year deal.
Now official: Chargers and former Bills interim HC agree on a 4-year contract, per source. In 24 hours, Chargers have new HC and new city.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 13, 2017
Lynn was the offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills last season before being named interim head coach when Rex Ryan was fired. There were initially reports that the Bills were intent on keeping him, but they decided to go in a different direction.
The Chargers hiring Lynn continues a trend of NFL teams bringing in coaches with no prior head coaching experience. The Denver Broncos officially hired former Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph earlier this week, the Bills hired former Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott and the Los Angeles Rams made Sean McVay the youngest head coach in NFL history.
With the Chargers’ job filled, the San Francisco 49ers are now the only team with a head coaching vacancy. That likely means at least one of two offensive coordinators who were at one point considered the hottest names on the market will not be landing a head coaching gig.