According to the article published by Watkins, Dez must adhere to the following guidelines:
- A midnight curfew. If he’s going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance.
- No alcohol.
- He can’t attend strip clubs and can attend nightclubs only if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.
- He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.
- A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.
- Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.
These “Dez Rules” were established during the 2012 offseason when Bryant, who was known for having off-field issues, was charged with allegedly assaulting his mother. Bryant has managed to stay out of trouble since then, which could be why he was so upset with Watkins for writing the article.
Apparently upset over the negative article which makes it seem like Bryant needs to be watched over like a child, the Cowboys receiver fired off a nasty tweet at Watkins, which he has since deleted:
Even if Bryant deleted the tweet, just the fact that he sent it shows he still has a short fuse and some growing up to do. That definitely wasn’t the way to handle the situation.