Former Brighton & Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet was fired over the weekend, and like many other coaches who get the axe he was surprised by the move. Unlike others, however, Poyet was informed on live television.
The 45-year-old was working as an analyst for BBC on Sunday when the station was informed of a press release that had been put out by Brighton announcing its decision to fire him. Poyet insisted he had not been contacted by the team in any way.
“I think the BBC got a great story forever, really,” Poyet said. “A manager getting information that he’s been released from his employment during a BBC program is quite surprising. I’ve still had no communication, no text, no email, I didn’t receive anything on my phone.”
“I think everybody and the viewers can (draw) their own conclusion about the way I have been informed about it.”
The statement specified that Poyet has a right to appeal, which he said he is certainly going to do.
“The only thing I’m focusing on is the appeal,” he said when asked how the firing made him feel. “I need to read everything first, but I will appeal because whatever they said in that email I want to make sure everything is clear. So whatever step I need to (take) I will (take) it.”
As Deadspin pointed out, Poyet was suspended following Brighton’s loss to Crystal Palace back in May. The exact reason for the suspension is unclear, although it is believed the manager and team had a dispute about his refusal to deal with the retained list.
And we thought getting fired over video chat was tough? Poyet doesn’t want to hear anyone complaining about their Skype termination.