Quantcast

Texans reportedly not interested in Jon Gruden, Mike Shanahan

Jon-Gruden-Miami-HurricanesWith the Houston Texans having fired former head coach Gary Kubiak last week, the usual big names have been flying around as potential candidates for the vacancy. Two of the more popular ones are Mike Shanahan and Jon Gruden. According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, neither Shanahan nor Gruden are a possibility.

McClain wrote on Sunday night that the Texans “will not try to hire ESPN analyst Jon Gruden” and “won’t be pursuing Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan” even if he is fired after his team’s disappointing 2013 season. Texans owner Bob McNair has said he wants a coach with head-coaching experience and NFL experience, which both Shanahan and Gruden have. Still, it sounds like the team is not interested.

Sports Talk 790 in Houston’s Lance Zierlein reported on Sunday night that there is “no way” the Texans hire Shanahan and that Shanahan’s name is probably being leaked by his own camp.

One candidate who is expected to draw serious interest from the Texans is Lovie Smith, who took a season off this year after being unexpectedly fired by the Chicago Bears. McClain said he expects Smith to be the first candidate the Texans interview. Other candidates include Stanford head coach David Shaw — who worked as a quarterbacks and wide receivers coach for the Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens — and San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

The Texans are having a horrendous season, but they are only a year removed from the playoffs and have core pieces like JJ Watt and Brian Cushing on what has been an underachieving defensive unit. The job should have plenty of appeal.

Jon Gruden reportedly a candidate for Houston Texans coaching job

Jon GrudenWhenever a head coaching vacancy in college football or the NFL stirs speculation, Jon Gruden is frequently tossed into the mix. Despite the endless rumors though that have tailed Gruden, who last coached at Tampa Bay before being canned in 2008, he hasn’t budged from his broadcasting perch as an analyst on Monday Night Football.

Cabin fever?

“I haven’t lost a game in 3½ years. But no, I would like to give coaching one more try,” Gruden said in October during a speaking engagement in Ocala, Fla.

That comment didn’t raise as many eyebrows as ESPN’s John Clayton floating Gruden’s name at the top of a list of candidates to replace Gary Kubiak, who was dismissed earlier this week by the Texans. The respected Clayton has to know something, no?

Gruden hasn’t spoken publicly about Houston, but with Clayton mentioning his name, the subject could come up when Monday Night Football airs.

It might be another case of much to do about nothing. Still, the rumors never seem to cease. USC AD Pat Haden might have inadvertly fueled them during an interview Wednesday on “The Dan Patrick Show.”

“I talked with Jon a while back,” Haden said when Patrick asked if he had spoken to Gruden about the Trojans’ head coaching job, which went to Steve Sarkisian. “Yeah, he wants to coach in the pros. If he’s going to coach, he’s going to be a pro coach.”

Since Gruden fancies himself as a quarterback guru, no one needs a mentor more than the basket case known as Matt Schaub. Or maybe Gruden salivates at the thought of grooming a young gun like Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater or Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel, expected to be among the first QBs taken in the NFL Draft, while rebuilding the Texans back to respectability.

Or maybe it’s another tease. It won’t be the first time. Probably not the last either.

Texans stadium security guards reportedly fired for taking picture with Tom Brady

Texans-security-Tom-Brady-photoTwo security guards who were working at Reliant Stadium during Sunday’s game between the Houston Texans and New England Patriots claim they were fired for taking a photo with Tom Brady. One of the employees, Joe Williams, told KHOU in Houston that he was just about to clock out for the day when he spotted Brady.

“I said, ‘Hey Tom Brady, good job, good game man,’” Williams explained. “He looked at me and smiled. He was very polite, very nice guy, humble. Sometimes I see players and say hello, and they just keep walking.

“Immediately after I took the picture, I got ran down by a supervisor. They didn’t’ really give a reason, they said you know you’re wrong and you’re fired.”

Williams acknowledged that stadium security members are not supposed to take photos with athletes while they are at their post because they are supposed to be securing their area. However, he thought it was OK since he was essentially done with work for the day. Co-worker Christopher Moore, who was also fired, said he has seen other employees do the same and keep their jobs.

“What they say and what they practice are two different things,” Moore said. “What we see on a daily basis, whether it be Reliant or CSC employees, is them taking picture and asking for autographs from players.”

Contemporary Services Corporation (CSC) basically told KHOU in a statement that rules are rules.

“It is strictly against CSC policy for its employees to request photos or autographs from players,” CSC said. “CSC stands by its decision to terminate the two employees who violated this policy.”

While some may think firing the employees was excessive, it seems like the rules were pretty clear and both Williams and Moore were well aware of them. It makes sense that stadium employees are not allowed to pester athletes for pictures, as that would be a slippery slope. Moore and Williams were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

H/T Pro Football Talk

Andre Johnson on Texans: ‘We suck’

Andre-Johnson-AFC-PlayoffsMost people would argue that the Houston Texans are a better football team than the Jacksonville Jaguars. Those who subscribe to the “numbers don’t lie” theory would tell you that the Texans and Jags are both 2-9, and Jacksonville beat Houston on Sunday. Does that mean the team that was once widely considered the NFL’s worst is now better than a team that made the playoffs a year ago?

After his team’s embarrassing 13-6 loss at home, star wide receiver Andre Johnson had very little to say to reporters. He didn’t need to say much.

“We suck,” Johnson said, via ESPN.com. “As an offense. That’s pretty much it.”

Case Keenum threw for just 169 yards and an interception against the Jaguars. Johnson caught two passes for 36 yards. The Texans have lost nine straight games since starting the season with back-to-back wins. Johnson was asked specifically if he believes Houston is the worst team in the NFL.

“I think our record shows it,” he said. “Yeah, if you look at our record, yeah, we’re the worst team.

“You’re not going to play perfect every single game, but I mean, it’s been bad, you know. (The fans) were booing us last week. They booed us before. I said it before, if we’re not putting good stuff on the field, we ain’t giving them nothing to cheer about. They booed. They should boo.”

Running back Ben Tate called out a fan who heckled him on Twitter last week and ripped Texans fans for booing. Johnson is right. The Texans deserve it. There are three teams in the NFL with only two wins. One of those teams picked up their second win against Houston on Sunday. As they say, if the shoe fits…

H/T Deadspin

Vince Young campaigns on Twitter for job with Houston Texans

Vince YoungGood news, Houston Texans fans. Matt Schaub may be hurt, and T.J. Yates may be throwing pick-sixes, but at least you have another good quarterback option. Houston native Vince Young has put himself in the running for the Texans quarterback job.

Vince made himself available to the team by sending these tweets during Sunday’s game:

Not only did VY, in the third person, let the team know he’s “in shape and ready to go!” but he also responded to a tweet from Houston rapper Slim Thug to say he was ready.

Young was in training camp with the Green Bay Packers and cut late in camp, so the argument can be made that he is ready to go. But come on, Vince. Stop acting like you’re the savior. This isn’t 2005 and you’re not playing for Texas anymore. It’s 2013 and in your last NFL season, you threw for nine interceptions and four touchdowns with good receivers in Philadelphia. Sorry to crush your dreams, but it ain’t happening.

Arian Foster called players-only meeting after loss to Seattle Seahawks

Arian-Foster-Rips-Fantasy-OwnersHow concerned are the Houston Texans about their 2-2 start to the 2013 season? Concerned enough for Arian Foster to call a players-only meeting after the team’s most recent loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Houston lost in overtime on Sunday after Matt Schaub threw two interceptions, one of which came toward the end of the fourth quarter and may have cost the Texans the game. According to the Houston Chronicle, Foster called a players-only meeting with his teammates on Monday. Defensive end Antonio Smith reportedly did a lot of the talking.

“Antonio is a strong, strong presence,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak, who obviously was not present for the meeting, said. “When he speaks, guys listen. He cares so much. It was hard to walk in there after a game like that, whether you’re a coach or a player and understand that whenever you’ve given everything you possibly have and you don’t get it done, it’s a very tough pill to swallow.

“It’s easy to not say anything. I think the important thing is that you do talk about it, and you let everybody know you’re committed to what’s going on. And that’s what he did, and he continued to do it in meetings. It hurts, but we’re a strong group. We’ll rally.”

The Texans are not 0-4. They have lost back-to-back games to the Baltimore Ravens and a Seahawks team that many consider the Super Bowl favorite, so there’s no need to panic just yet. Fans can continue to burn Schaub’s jersey in the parking lot after games, but the team needs to ignore all that and focus on getting back on track. Aside from the Denver Broncos, no AFC team looks overwhelming at the moment.

NFL admits it may have cost Chargers a win over Texans with bad call

Cam Thomas penalty

The San Diego Chargers lost to the Houston Texans on Monday night in typical Chargers fashion, blowing a 21-point lead in the second half. While the play of Philip Rivers and company down the stretch was inexcusable, a bad call from the officials may have cost San Diego the win.

On Tuesday, NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino admitted that a referee incorrectly called Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas for an illegal hit on Texans longsnapper Jon Weeks in the third quarter. The penalty erased Houston’s field goal and instead resulted in a first down. Matt Schaub hooked up with Owen Daniels for a 9-yard touchdown on the very next play to cut San Diego’s lead to 28-21.

“No, this was not a correct call. This is not the intent of the rule as it was written,” Blandino explained on NFL Network’s NFL Total Access. “The rule is to protect the snapper on a field goal or extra point from a direct forcible blow to the head or neck area, or with the crown/forehead/hairline parts of the helmet to the body. It was not designed to prohibit any contact with the snapper, which is what happened on this play.”

The mistake essentially handed the Texans four points in a game they won 31-28. Blandino went on to say that the play can only be called using the umpire’s judgment.

“It’s a judgment call by the umpire, he’s looking at that, and in his judgment, he felt that it was enough for a foul,” he said. “And in our review today, we felt that it was not.”

Did we flash back to 2012 for the NFL’s opening weekend this year? In addition to the incorrect call from the Texans-Chargers game, the NFL also admitted that it should not have allowed the San Francisco 49ers to replay third down after a brawl broke out because of Clay Matthews’ late hit on Colin Kaepernick. That’s two blown calls that may have affected the outcome of games. And these were not replacement refs. Tisk, tisk.