Quantcast

Jake Peavy to miss first spring training start due to fishing knife accident

jake-peavyAs we progress through the early stages of spring training more and more recognizable names are making their 2014 debuts. Jake Peavy of the Boston Red Sox was slated to take the mound for his first game action on Monday, but that will no longer be the case.

“This was a freak one. And honestly, he avoided some serious injury with what took place. He cut himself with a fishing knife. He was at home when it took place, he was trying to cut through something and when it gave way, almost cut through his left index finger,” manager John Farrell told ESPN Boston.

“He’s going to be ‘no-throw’ for three days and then initiate a throwing program off the mound,” Farrell said.

Thankfully, the veteran starting pitcher appears to have avoided serious damage. As ESPN also noted, Peavy injured a finger on his right hand earlier during camp after it was struck by a ball.

It seems each year we hear about a few baseball players suffering injuries from freak accidents. In 2013 there were a couple. St. Louis Cardinals relief pitcher Marc Rzepczynski was struck near the left eye by a golf ball that ricocheted. Michael Taylor of the Oakland A’s cut a finger on his right hand attempting to throw away gum.

Ater being acquired via a three-team trade last July, Jake Peavy went 4-1 with a 4.04 ERA for the Red Sox in 10 games down the stretch.

Jose Iglesias, Avisail Garcia part of Jake Peavy trade

Jake Peavy White SoxJake Peavy was one of the biggest names on the trade market, and the Chicago White Sox have finally dealt him.

According to multiple reports, Peavy is being traded to the Boston Red Sox as part of a three-team trade. The Red Sox are dealing 23-year-old shortstop Jose Iglesias to the Detroit Tigers, who are sending Avisail Garcia to the White Sox.

Peavy is the centerpiece of the deal and expected to boost Boston’s rotation. The former Cy Young winner is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in 80 innings this season. He is under contract for next season and has a $15 million option for 2015, so the Sox are not getting a one-year rental. But he will be expensive; he is owed $4 million the rest of this season, $14.5 million next season, and $4 million from a backloaded signing bonus. Boston is just hoping he does more for them than he did for the White Sox when Chicago acquired him from San Diego at the trade deadline in 2009

Iglesias is your typical light-hitting, good-fielding shortstop. He only has three home runs in over 1,050 professional at-bats, and a career .626 OPS in the minors. But Iglesias did start off the season hot before crashing back to earth with a .200 average and .457 OPS in July. He’s batting .330 with a .787 OPS this season. He should give the Tigers a replacement at shortstop for Jhonny Peralta, who is expected to be suspended 50 games because of his involvement with Biogenesis.

Garcia is a 22-year-old Venezuelan outfielder who killed the ball in the minor leagues this season. He spent time in the majors last year as a 21-year-old, hitting .319 in 47 at-bats. Garcia is batting .241/.273/.373 in 83 at-bats with the Tigers this season. Garcia strongly resembles Miguel Cabrera in appearance and batting style, but he is not half the hitter. Chicago is hoping the power and skill will increase as he gets older.

The White Sox are also getting Cleuluis Rondon, Frank Montas, and JB Wendelken as part of the deal — all three are young low-level minor leaguers.

Ozzie Guillen Denies Quitting on White Sox, Promises to Kill Feelings with the Truth

You didn’t really think new Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen was going to remain quiet while a former player trashed him, did you? Of course not.

Guillen fired off several tweets Friday in response to White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy who accused him of quitting on the team last year (Ozzie walked away with two games left in the season). Peavy was upset that Ozzie said the pitcher quit on the team, so he turned the tables. Now Ozzie has responded.

Here are all the tweets he sent on Friday:

[Read more...]

Jake Peavy Says Ozzie Guillen Quit on the White Sox

Over his nine-year career, Jake Peavy has been a dominant MLB starter when healthy. The problem is he is rarely ever healthy. Since Peavy was acquired by the White Sox, that always seemed to irritate former manager Ozzie Guillen. It’s no secret that the two never got along, and it was known that Guillen believed Peavy gave up on the team. During a recent interview with WSCR-AM 670, Peavy gave his side of the story. According to the right-hander, it was Guillen who called it quits.

“I know he had a hard time, saying I quit on him, which couldn’t be further from the truth,” Peavy explained. “I would never quit on a team. … Ozzie didn’t finish the season with us the last (two) games. So I don’t know who quit on who.”

As you may remember, the White Sox had to make a decision on whether or not to shut Peavy down at the end of the season last year.  Guillen wanted no part in the decision, which could be because he was sick of hearing about Peavy’s injuries or because he already knew he was headed to Miami.  In all likelihood, it was a combination of both.

“At the end of the day, Ozzie didn’t really know what goes on, (about the decision)” Peavy said according to the Chicago Tribune.

To say that Ozzie is outspoken would be a legendary understatement, so it comes as no surprise that he and his oft-injured starter never got along.  That being said, the way he left Chicago was not exactly well-received by many.  In a sense, Peavy is right about who walked out on the team.

Jake Peavy and A.J. Pierzynski Dismiss Issue Over Mid-Game Argument

White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy didn’t have his best stuff Wednesday night and was knocked out of the game by the Cubs in the 6th inning. Something must have been said by catcher A.J. Pierzynski when Jake got the hook, because he pointed at A.J. upon leaving the mound:

Peavy later confronted Pierzynski in the dugout when the half-inning ended, and the two went into the tunnel to sort out their issues. Pierzynski joked after the game that they were talking SEC football. Peavy joked that they were talking hunting. Whatever the issue was, it was clear the two were keeping it in-house and out of the public’s eye.

Talk about a lesson in public relations, these guys were amazing in their display of solidarity after the game. Check out the love fest they had after the game:

[Read more...]

Jake Peavy Now Playing GM, Too

OK, so the Padres need a ton of help to become a competitive team again. Their offense last year was dreadful. They have one All-Star stick in Adrian Gonzalez, and a few decent ones in Brian Giles and Kevin Kouzmanoff. Their lineup was so bad that Jody Gerut appeared to be a brilliant pick up. There aren’t many hitters in the pipeline either, so San Diego is desperate to turn around their offense. Their pitching wasn’t terrible last year, being anchored by Jake Peavy, and Chris Young (when he wasn’t having his face caved in by line drives). Still, not too many arms in waiting there. And despite pitching like an ace again last season, Jake Peavy only wound up 10-11, with the team going 12-15 in games he started. As good as he is, with no offense and a bad defense behind him, even Peavy’s only a .500 pitcher. That’s why it makes sense to trade him — which has become a virtual certainty for the Padres at this point. Only a few problems.

Jake Peavy has an exclusive list of teams to which he’ll accept a trade, and for the most part, it’s to National League clubs he deems as contenders. Using what I just outlined as evidence, the Padres know they need several players in return in order to compete. And therein lies the problem: Peavy doesn’t want his arrival to result in the crippling of the team to which he is traded, which is why he’s now playing GM, too. Here’s the logic from Peavy’s agent that explains the potential holdups: “One of the things we will want to look at some point is, ‘Who are you giving up? How much are you weakening your team to make this deal?'” [Barry] Axelrod said. “If Team X trades three starting pitchers and a starting shortstop to get Jake Peavy, that lessens their chance of being a successful team.” So not only is Jake limiting the list of teams to which he’d accept a trade, now he’s being picky about who his new team is giving up. And you know what? I have no problem with it.

Jake already did the Padres a tremendous favor signing with them for more than a bargain discount. This is a guy who won the triple crown of pitching and the Cy Young unanimously. He could have named his price on the free agent market, yet he accepted a 3-year $52 million extension from the Padres. Barry Zito got $126 million over 7 years. Jake’s already done the Padres a huge favor, no need to do them a second. As for the Padres, from what I’ve heard in the rumor mill, it doesn’t sound like they’ll be getting back as much as they should for an ace of Peavy’s caliber. We shall see.