A Miami Marlins fan used a ceremonial first pitch before Wednesday’s game as an opportunity to propose to his girlfriend.
A woman named Marlyn was set to sing the national anthem and throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the Marlins-Los Angeles Dodgers game. The man catching behind home plate happened to be her boyfriend, who then proposed.
Marlins first pitch. Woman throws to who she thinks is a Marlins catcher in full uniform. It’s her boyfriend who proposes on the spot. He closed the deal. pic.twitter.com/PiA8moyRDM
— Craig Mish (@CraigMish) May 16, 2018
The Marlins filmed a video with the man, Rafael, before his proposal, in which he described his plan. They posted that to Twitter, which included the best part — instead of a ring box, the engagement ring was stored inside a hollowed-out baseball.
— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) May 16, 2018
The Miami Marlins have been suing former season ticket holders and luxury suite owners for several years, and they’re taking their legal efforts a step further with one fan who allegedly walked away from his seats while owing nearly $100,000.
According to court records obtained by the Miami New Times, the Marlins are suing a fan named Kenneth Sack and attempting to seize a $725,000 building he owns in Oakland Park. Sack reportedly signed a four-year contract for season tickets at $16,200 per seat in 2012. The total bill was $129,000, but Sack wanted out after the first season. The Marlins are now suing him for $97,200 and are trying to seize his building. Here’s more:
In January, the team won a judgment against Sack for the full $97,200, but his attorney appealed because the lawyer had missed key hearings and filings after suffering a heart attack and spending months in the hospital. That civil case remains open.
But in the meantime, the team has used that judgment to try to nab a building owned by Sack. On March 12, the Marlins initiated a foreclosure proceeding for a commercial building Sack owns in Oakland Park, arguing that they can seize the property to fulfill the $97,200 he owes them; they ask the judge to appoint a receiver so they can begin collecting rent from the location. (Oddly, county property appraisers say the building at 5090 N. Dixie Hwy. is actually worth $725,000.)
Sack is one of at least nine former season ticket holders who have been sued by the team. Fans who signed contracts with the team claimed they were promised perks like free buffets, private parking, and separate stadium entrances, but the team never delivered.
“I didn’t want my money back or anything, but I said, ‘Please give me back the stuff you promised,'” a former season ticket holder told the New Times last year. “The answer I got back was basically, ‘Yeah, we know we took it all away, but tough sh–.'”
Team owner Jeffrey Loria has been in negotiations to sell the Marlins, and fans will not be sad to see him go. There have been countless examples over the years (here’s one of the better ones) illustrating how terrible the relationship is between the team and its fans. The lawsuits certainly haven’t helped in that department.
If you watched Game 1 of the World Series on TV Tuesday night, you may have noticed a man in an orange visor and jacket sitting in the front row behind home plate. His name is Laurence Leavy, and he is — believe it or not — a Miami Marlins fan.
Leavy, 58, calls himself “Marlins Man.” He paid $8,000 for his premium seat to Game 1, but he claims Royals officials desperately tried to get him to move or change his clothes. Leavy told Clark Spencer of The Miami Herald that Kauffman Stadium employees offered him a private suite and more in an attempt to get him away from where cameras were shooting.
“The owner of the Royals was extremely upset I was there,” Leavy said.
A Royals spokesman denied that Leavy was asked to leave his seat or change his attire.
Leavy, a Marlins season ticket holder since the team’s first year 1993, says he was not trying to agitate anyone by wearing his team’s colors to an event that had nothing to do with his team. Rather, he has been buying premium seats to Super Bowls, NBA playoff games and MLB playoff games for years.
The dancing Marlins fan who went viral last week has been identified and was even invited out to Marlins Park Tuesday to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the game.
The young boy in question is 9-year-old Jonathan Esponda, who says he learned his dancing skills from his parents at home.
Apparently Esponda was caught on the fan cam after a Phillies-Marlins game last year, but the video was not shared on social media until recently. Esponda was 8 at the time and went nuts after realizing he was on camera. The youngster was tracked down by local Spanish radio station Nuevo Zol 106.7 FM and did an interview with them, which you can see below.
The interview at the top was done by FOX Sports Florida, and reporter Allison Williams says Esponda was a big hit at the park. She also Esponda is a real ladies’ man and was kissing girls’ hands upon meeting them.
This kid is a natural born star.
- Filed Under:
- Everything Else
The Miami Marlins realized that Giancarlo Stanton and his 500-foot home runs are not enough to draw crowds to the stadium, so they decided to turn to what’s undeniably baseball’s greatest attraction: dancing Marlins kid.
The same kid who captured the internet’s attention last week when his crazy dance moves went viral was at Tuesday’s home game against the Phillies. He was apparently with some guy named Dancing Tony:
— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) July 2, 2014
Marlins Dancing Kid even got some time on camera with FOX Sports Florida:
— FOX Sports Florida (@SunSportsFOXFL) July 2, 2014
I dunno, I kinda feel like Dancing Kid was shown up by Dancing Tony and his knee-switching move:
Dancing Tony BROUGHT IT.
- Filed Under:
- Everything Else
Miami Marlins fans are not entering the 2013 season with a great deal of optimism, and why should they be? After building a brand new ballpark, bringing in Ozzie Guillen as manager, and signing big names like Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle last offseason, the team has already decided to blow up their rebuilding project and start fresh.
According to Joe Capozzi of The Palm Beach Post, a handful of Marlins fans decided to protest the team’s recent failures at the home opener on Monday by showing up wearing shirts and holding signs that were critical of the team and owner Jeffrey Loria. Those fans say they were kicked out.
“We’re Marlins fans,” 25-year-old Dan Barton, one of the fans who was ejected, said. “We’ve been there since 1993. We’ve been through only two winning seasons. We’re tired of it. I’m just over it. Free the Marlins.”
“It’s just sheer selfishness. Now you have this guy coming in. False promises, false hopes. I’m tired of it. We’re tired of the ownership. We’re tired of Jeffrey Loria.”
Over a week has passed since the Miami Marlins agreed to a massive trade that sent most of their top players to the Toronto Blue Jays, and the team’s fans are still fuming.
The Miami Herald spoke to 400 Major League Baseball fans — 90 percent of whom were self-described Marlins fans — for a poll, and they learned that the majority of the fans are really upset with the team and owner.
83 percent of those polled by the Herald had an unfavorable opinion of team owner Jeffrey Loria. Of the six percent who had a favorable opinion of him, six say they know him personally.
95 percent of those polled viewed the Blue Jays trade as a fire sale, while only four percent believed the trade was made to make the team better.
10 percent of fans say they are no longer fans of the team following the trade.
Fans described Loria as a “greedy crook,” a “leech,” and “lousy.”
That sounds about right. We somewhat mocked Marlins fans for only having five fans show up at a protest, but we acknowledged they had the right idea in mind.
There were so many questionable aspects of the Marlins’ trade.
While the deal could make them a better team in the future, it’s impossible to get past how unethical and deceitful it was. The team backloaded the contracts for the players they signed so they wouldn’t have to pay them the big annual salaries. They also shed the payroll as soon as their agreement to be reviewed by MLB expired, ostensibly so they can pocket their revenue sharing money rather than spend it on the on-field product. Lastly, and perhaps most egregiously, they had the city fund the stadium based on a promise that they would be competitive. It’s impossible to get around that point.
Forearm bash to Hardball Talk