The Miami Dolphins are expected to release Ndamukong Suh at some point this week, but the decision apparently has nothing to do with the way the star defensive tackle has played over the past three seasons.
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the Dolphins are parting ways with Suh for locker room reasons more than anything else. The 31-year-old has played well for Miami and not missed a game in three years, but head coach Adam Gase feels moving on from Suh is necessary.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 12, 2018
“This is really about regaining the locker room and getting the kinds of players that Dolphins coach Adam Gase wants,” Rapoport said. “… He’s kind of trying to regain the locker room and fill it with guys who really just want to play football and nothing else. Suh was a guy they deemed had to go, and now he’s expected to go.”
Suh is one of the most physically dominant players in football, but there have been rumblings that his teammates were aggravated with his cheap shot antics. Those have been part of Suh’s game for several years, and you can understand why they might wear on players and coaches who see their team punished because of them.
There continues to be talk about the Miami Dolphins potentially releasing Ndamukong Suh.
On Wednesday, the Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson published a lengthy article about the Dolphins’ offseason plans. In his article, Jackson said the Dolphins are considering releasing Suh. This is nothing new, considering the possibility of the team moving on from Suh was mentioned in October and again last month.
Suh is set to count for $26.1 million against the salary cap next season, which would be a big drain. The team may ask him to consider restructuring his contract. If not, they could release him to save money. If they released Suh and designated him a post-June 1 cut, they would save $17 million under the cap.
Suh, 31, had 48 tackles and 4.5 sacks last season. He has remained a productive player since signing a massive free agent deal with the Dolphins three years ago.
- Filed Under:
Ndamukong Suh still has three years left on the six-year deal he signed with the Miami Dolphins in 2015. Is the team finally ready to move on from him?
CBS Sports Jason La Canfora wrote the following in a column published Wednesday about teams facing big offseasons:
Confidants of owner Stephen Ross told me during the season that the owner was ready to move on from defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, set to count a staggering $26 million against the cap.
As La Canfora said, Suh is making just about $17 million in base salary for 2018 and counts for $26.1 million against the cap, per Spotrac. If they are really desperate to get rid of him, they could designate him a post June 1 cut.
Suh is still a valuable player, so it’s possible Ross’ feelings will have either changed or he could be talked out of wanting to get rid of Suh. Either way, his status is something to watch.
- Filed Under:
Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh has apparently worn out his welcome in Miami.
According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, Suh is not in the Miami Dolphins’ plans beyond the 2017 season, with the team left underwhelmed by both his production and his on-field behavior.
Despite a contract that would leave the Dolphins with a $26 million cap hit in 2018, Suh has failed to significantly improve a run defense that finished 28th in 2015, his first year there, and regressed to 30th in 2016.
In addition, there are issues with teammates, who view him as “aloof,” and discipline — La Canfora says incidents like his throat grab of Ryan Mallett, while not necessarily the entire reason, will only accelerate his departure from the team.
Such is Miami’s eagerness to move on from Suh that they would reportedly be willing to swallow a $13 million cap hit in 2019 to see him off.
Between the underwhelming and occasionally dirty play and incidents like this one that have rubbed teammates the wrong way, the Suh experiment simply has not worked out for Miami. It’s easy to see why they’re ready to get out of it.
Ndamukong Suh committed yet another dirty play in Thursday night’s loss to the Baltimore Ravens, and his explanation for the latest act that will likely result in a fine — and possibly more — is as weak as it gets.
Following the game, Suh told reporters that he was just trying to defend himself when he grabbed Ravens quarterback Ryan Mallett by the throat.
“Simple as this: He came at me and tried to attack me, and I’m protecting myself,” Suh said, per Chris Perkins of the South Florida Sun Sentinel. “I’m never going to regret protecting myself.”
Mallett got upset that Suh gave him a shove after the play was whistled dead for offsides, so he got in the defensive tackle’s face. Apparently Suh felt he was in such grave danger that the only way he could protect himself was by trying to choke Mallett. Here is the video:
A boy named Suh. How do you do? pic.twitter.com/39pCq6KMi6
— Steelers Depot (@Steelersdepot) October 27, 2017
Because Suh has such a long history of committing dirty plays, his explanation isn’t going to hold any weight. Mallett was only in the game because Joe Flacco exited after taking a brutal hit from one of Suh’s teammates, so things got as ugly as possible for the Dolphins in their 40-0 loss. It also appeared that Miami’s William Hayes poked a Baltimore player in the eye.
Naturally, Suh downplayed the various cheap shots.
“I think guys just want to go out there and play and compete at the end of the day,” he said. “For me I’m going to continue playing and going as hard as I can, trying to make plays whatever the score is. I’m going to be out there and be physical, go out there and try to make plays, TFLs (tackles for losses), whatever it is.
“I’m not going to lay down. I’ve never been that guy, never will be that guy.”
Suh can have fun explaining all of that to the league office.
Two Miami Dolphins appeared to commit two dirty plays on the same sequence against the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night, including a throat grab by Ndamukong Suh.
Suh jumped the snap on a third-and-1 play in the fourth quarter against the Baltimore Ravens. He got physical with Baltimore Ravens quarterback Ryan Mallett after jumping the snap, leading Mallett to say something to Suh. Suh responded by grabbing the quarterback by the throat.
If you told me to draw a picture of how a fight between Ndamukong Suh and Ryan Mallett would go I would have drawn this picture. pic.twitter.com/3QoTlxM3QK
— Kyle Madson (@KyleAMadson) October 27, 2017
Then as the teams were gathered following the dead play, Ravens offensive lineman Austin Howard complained that he had been poked in the eye by Miami’s Williams Hayes.
He straight up jabbed him in the eye! Look top right pic.twitter.com/AR1q3HLscX
— Will Brinson (@WillBrinson) October 27, 2017
Suh and Hayes were both called for personal fouls. The Ravens ended up recovering a fumble in the end zone for a touchdown on the possession.
Both Suh and Hayes could be facing additional discipline from the league.
NFL contracts are often a hot-button issue. People love to debate who’s making too much, too little, who deserves more and who is overpaid. Some athletes outplay their deals, while others cash in and fail to deliver. Teams obviously try hard to avoid the latter situation, but sometimes things don’t work out as hoped.
With all of that in mind, here’s a look at the worst contract on every NFL team.
Arizona Cardinals – Jermaine Gresham, tight end
The Cardinals put an emphasis on re-signing tight end Jermaine Gresham and as a result, may have drastically over-paid for him. He hasn’t had over 460 yards receiving since 2012, has seen his catch rate hover around 60% in each of the previous two seasons and hasn’t scored more than two touchdowns since 2014. Those are mediocre numbers at best for a player signed to a four-year, $28 million contract with $16.5 million guaranteed.
Atlanta Falcons – Brooks Reed, defensive end
Brooks Reed is not exactly a bad player — he’s a high-motor guy who plays a very defined role. Of course, when the Falcons signed him to a five-year, $22 million deal in 2015 they expected much more. Instead, what they’ve gotten for $9 million guaranteed is 42 tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble in 28 games.
Baltimore Ravens – Joe Flacco, quarterback
When the Ravens signed Joe Flacco to a monstrous $120.6 million deal in 2013, many foresaw potential issues looming. However, at the time, Flacco was coming off of a magical postseason run that culminated with a Super Bowl XLVII victory. He had earned his money. But in 2016, facing a massive cap number, Baltimore was forced to extend Flacco with a three-year, $66.4 million deal. Now under contract through 2021, Flacco has cap hits above $24 million beginning next year and throughout the remainder of his deal, large dead cap numbers that render him uncuttable and guarantees that make him untradeable. Arguably, it’s the worst contract in the NFL.
- Allen Hurns, Brian Cushing, Brock Osweiler, Brooks Reed, Coby Fleener, DeAngelo Hall, Dre Kirkpatrick, Jabaal Sheard, Jermaine Gresham, Joe Flacco, Justin Houston, Logan Ryan, Luke Joeckel, Marcell Dareus, Marvin Jones, Matt Kalil, Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Glennon, Mo Wilkerson, Ndamukong Suh, Randall Cobb, Rhett Ellison, Riley Reiff, Robert Ayers, Russell Okung, Sean Smith, Stephon Gilmore, Tavon Austin, Tyrone Crawford, Vance McDonald, Vinny Curry