Paul Heyman: Brock Lesnar would consider UFC return
Brock Lesnar’s manager Paul Heyman says the former UFC champion would consider a return to the octagon if his situation changed with the WWE.
Lesnar signed a 3-year deal with the WWE in April 2012 and broke the Undertaker’s win streak at WrestleMania this year. If things weren’t going so well in the wrestling world, he’d be more inclined to check out the UFC again, Heyman says.
“If a change of circumstance happens, and it’s a no-brainer to get Brock back into the cage, I’m sure it’s something he would consider,” Heyman said on “The MMA Hour” via Bloody Elbow. “At this moment, it’s not a topic of conversation because things are going so well in WWE.”
If Lesnar ever did return to the UFC, he would have a long line of people who would want to challenge him. That line starts with Alistair Overeem, who beat Lesnar by TKO at UFC 141 on Dec. 30, 2011, and called out Brock earlier this year.
Lesnar has immense popularity and means big business and ratings for whichever organization of which he is a part. At 37 years old, it’s not realistic for him to continue much of a fighting career, but he certainly could fight once or twice before being too old.
Lesnar is scheduled to face John Cena in the headlining match at SummerSlam on Aug. 17 for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. He is 5-3 in his professional MMA career, which included a 4-fight win streak in which he rose to become the UFC heavyweight champion.