The Oral Roberts upset win over Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament on Friday busted millions of brackets just hours into the tournament’s first day.
Oral Roberts upset Ohio State, the No. 2 seed in the South Region, 75-72 in overtime. 15 vs. 2 upsets are not very common, which is why so many brackets were busted.
ESPN fantasy expert Matthew Berry shared that 95.2 percent of nearly 15 million brackets on ESPN had Ohio State winning. He says 5.1 million perfect brackets were ruined by the upset.
NCAA.com says 33.7 percent of their Bracket Challenge Game entrants were perfect prior to the Oral Roberts upset. After Oral Roberts’ win, they say only 0.42 percent of brackets are still perfect.
Oral Roberts is without a doubt happy to be a spoiler. They have moved on to the second round and will get to face Florida. They’re also hoping this will get them verified.
Brad Stevens is not leaving the Boston Celtics to take the Indiana Hoosiers job and communicated that message humorously.
Some rumors have swirled since Archie Miller’s firing last week that Stevens could be a candidate for the job. He’s an Indiana native and coached at Butler previously, building them into a power before leaving for Boston. Stevens previously stated he would not be leaving.
Stevens said Friday that he is not taking the job.
He said he is not interested in the IU job, and added a funny remark.
“I’m not a kid anymore. I’m a 44-year-old Ma-shole.”
Boston fans have to appreciate that.
Stevens has been with the Celtics since 2013. He’s proven he can coach successfully in the NBA, even if the Celtics are going through a rough time this season. Why would he leave that for Indiana? It wouldn’t make much sense.
The rumor stirred up again on Friday, in response to a tweet that was likely shared in jest.
The Oral Roberts Golden Eagles pulled off what might end up being the shock of the NCAA Tournament, upsetting Ohio State in overtime 75-72.
The Golden Eagles’ victory was historic in more than one aspect. Oral Roberts becomes the ninth 15 seed in tournament history to knock off a No. 2 seed in the first round. It wasn’t just any No. 2 seed, either, as the Buckeyes were a popular dark horse Final Four pick for many.
Suddenly thrust into the national spotlight, though, the Oral Roberts men’s basketball Twitter account had a simple request: they just want to be verified, please.
It’s true. If this can’t get them verified, nothing will.
Oral Roberts now has a date with Florida in the second round of the tournament. If the team can keep the run going, maybe they can emulate a great Twitter account from tournaments past.
Urban Meyer did not enjoy his first taste of free agency in the NFL.
Many of the deals in free agency are reached in the two days prior to actual free agency beginning during what some call the “legal tampering period.” Players are not allowed to meet with teams until free agency officially begins. The result is teams like the Jags had to reach many deals without Meyer being able to first meet with the players in person.
The Jacksonville Jaguars coach made clear that he found the experience “awful.”
“I guess in the old days you could bring them in and meet them, then have dinner with them and find out their football intellect, find out their character and things like that. So we had to do a deep dive on every guy that we signed,” Meyer said, via Doug Samuels of Football Scoop. “To answer your question, it was awful. I don’t believe it should be that way. I’m not sure how that rule came about, but, to me, that’s not good business.”
Understandably, Meyer would like to meet with players before signing them and committing a lot of money to them. The problem is if you don’t act quickly, players can sign elsewhere. So for Meyer, this is a bit of a blind process.
Meyer’s dislike of the process didn’t stop Jacksonville from being very active early in free agency. Meyer has to feel somewhat comfortable with those moves considering how aggressive the Jaguars were.
The allegations against Deshaun Watson have been piling up this week, and attorney Tony Buzbee says he and his firm have spoken with nearly two dozen women about potential cases involving the Houston Texans quarterback.
Buzbee, who is representing women in seven sexual assault lawsuits against Watson, held a press conference on Friday. The attorney said he will be filing five more cases and has spoken to 10 additional women about their experiences with Watson. That brings the total to 22, and Buzbee encouraged others to come forward.
“If you are a victim of sexual assault, contact our office, we want to hear your story and we want your voice to be heard,” Buzbee said, via Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle. “Most of these women work in the massage industry. Some work at spas, some from their homes. These are, for most part, licensed professionals. Many are single mothers. All of the cases we have filed and we have vetted them very carefully allege the same or very similar conduct.”
The most recent instance of alleged misconduct from Watson took place this month, according to Buzbee. One of the clients represented by Buzbee says Watson acted inappropriately toward her even after Buzbee’s office had correspondence with Watson’s legal team.
Buzbee recently revealed in an unrelated social media post that he is a neighbor of Texans owner Cal McNair, which led to some speculation that the team could have had a role in the original lawsuit that was filed. Buzbee said Friday that he does live near the McNair family but insisted the case has nothing to do with the Texans.
All of the alleged victims work in the massage industry and had similar experiences with Watson, according to Buzbee. At least one of the women said she performed non-consensual oral sex on Watson. You can read the details from that particular case here.
Watson adamantly denied the allegations after news of the first lawsuit surfaced on Tuesday and said he is looking forward to clearing his name. His agent took to Twitter on Friday to accuse the alleged victims of lying for financial gain.
Brad Stevens said earlier in the week that he has no plans to leave the Boston Celtics to become the next head coach at Indiana, but there are more than a few people who are unconvinced.
Dave Dameshek, an analyst and media personality who typically focuses on the NFL, sent Hoosiers fans into a frenzy on Friday with a tweet about Stevens. He said he has been told by “people who’d know” that Stevens is going to leave the Celtics for Indiana and an announcement could come before the weekend. Dameshek, who has a background in comedy writing, was almost certainly joking.
Several NBA and college basketball reporters still decided to look into it. Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated was told by Celtics officials that it would be a “complete shock” to them if Stevens left for Indiana. Hoosiers reporter Zach Osterman could not say whether Stevens will be hired at Indiana, but he said the school is not close to announcing a decision with its coaching search.
Stadium’s Jeff Goodman shared similar information.
If you go by the “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” theory, it seems like there is at least more than a 0 percent chance that Stevens will be the next head coach at Indiana.
Stevens was born and raised in Indiana, which is why many believe coaching the Hoosiers would be a dream job for him. He made a name for himself coaching at Butler, which is also in Indiana.
Indiana is paying former coach Archie Miller a huge buyout, so money may be no object for the school. If Stevens wants the job, he could probably name his price.
The Celtics are 20-20 and have been one of the most disappointing teams in the NBA this season. There has been talk that players could be tuning Stevens out, though Danny Ainge and Boston’s brass have stood behind him.
Until Indiana hires a new head coach, the Stevens speculation is not going to stop. The remarks he made about the situation this week seemed pretty clear, but stranger things have happened.
It took only two hours or so of first round action on Friday to remind us of why we missed the NCAA Tournament so much last year.
Virginia Tech looked like their championship hopes had all but ended when they were trailing 64-61 with 11 seconds remaining against Florida. Nahiem Alleyne missed a three-pointer and Florida’s Anthony Duruji grabbed the defensive rebound. Duruji was fouled with 7 seconds left, and all he had to do was hit one free throw to ice the game.
Unfortunately for the Gators, he missed both. That gave Virginia Tech one last chance to tie the game, and Alleyne came through the second time. The sophomore buried a three-pointer to force overtime.
Florida almost certainly felt they had the game in hand when Alleyne missed the first three-pointer, but March had other plans.
The Gators ended up winning 75-70 in overtime. They came from 10 down in regulation and managed to survive the OT scare, which speaks to their resilience.
The Pittsburgh Steelers have already lost several key players in free agency, but JuJu Smith-Schuster is not going anywhere.
Smith-Schuster has re-signed with the Steelers on a one-year deal. The star wide receiver confirmed he is staying with the team by sharing a funny video on Twitter.
The contract is worth $8 million, according to multiple reports. Many were surprised to hear that Smith-Schuster didn’t land a multi-year deal, but apparently he turned at least one down. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Philadelphia Eagles offered Smith-Schuster a multi-year contract.
Other teams also reportedly offered more lucrative one-year contracts than the Steelers.
We know of at least one other AFC team that expressed interest in Smith-Schuster, so it sounds like his preference was to remain in Pittsburgh.
The Steelers drafted Smith-Schuster in the second round in 2017. He has spent the last four seasons with the team. He has not met his stellar production from the 2018 season, when he had a career-high 111 catches, 1,426 yards and seven touchdowns. Part of the reason for his lower numbers the last two seasons is his changed role in Pittsburgh’s offense.
Smith-Schuster was far more productive when Antonio Brown was the No. 1 receiving option in Pittsburgh. He also caused some issues for the Steelers last season, which may have hurt his free agent value a bit.
A total of seven sexual assault lawsuits have been filed against Deshaun Watson, and the Houston Texans quarterback’s agent issued a response to the allegations on Friday.
Watson’s agent David Mulugheta sent a tweet shortly after four new lawsuits were filed against his client, bringing the total to seven. Mulugheta implied that the alleged victims are taking part in an organized money grab.
Tony Buzbee, the attorney representing the women who are suing Watson, says there are a total of nine victims. All of the allegations are related to Watson receiving massages. Buzbee shared screenshots of text messages on social media Thursday that claim to show Watson apologizing for making one of the massage therapists feel uncomfortable. You can see the text messages here.
Mulugheta has had a busy offseason with Watson, as he is also trying to help the Pro Bowler force his way out of Houston. The agent ripped the Texans in a tweet earlier this offseason that he later deleted.
Watson adamantly denied the allegations after news of the first lawsuit surfaced on Tuesday and said he is looking forward to clearing his name.
Deshaun Watson is now facing a total of seven sexual assault lawsuits, and at least two more are expected in the coming days.
Four more sexual assault lawsuits have been filed against Watson, according to ESPN’s Sarah Barshop. Tony Buzbee, the attorney representing the alleged victims, has said there will be nine total cases against Watson that all include similar allegations.
All of the suits are civil in nature, and it’s unclear at this point if law enforcement is planning to get involved. Houston police declined to comment to ESPN when asked if they are investigating any of the allegations against Watson.
Watson adamantly denied the allegations after news of the first lawsuit surfaced on Tuesday and said he is looking forward to clearing his name. The Houston Texans quarterback has not issued further comment as the cases continue to pile up.
Buzbee shared some screenshots of text messages on social media Thursday that claim to show Watson apologizing to a masseuse for making her feel uncomfortable. You can see the alleged conversations here.
The NFL is investigating the claims, and it’s possible Watson could face disciplinary action even though the suits are civil.
One of the women who is suing Watson says she was forced to perform oral sex on the quarterback. You can see the details from the one of the latest lawsuits here.