pixel 1
header
Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Baseball

Ex-Playmate says A-Rod sexted her weeks before proposing to Jennifer Lopez

Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez has been dogged by some rumors of alleged — or attempted — cheating during his engagement to Jennifer Lopez, and the latest comes from a former Playboy Playmate who says A-Rod was sending her inappropriate texts not long before he popped the question.

British model Zoe Gregory told The Sun on Monday that Rodriguez sent her a string of sexually explicit text messages, including one of his genitals. She says the texts kept coming over the span over several weeks from late-December to Jan. 22. A-Rod proposed to J-Lo in March.

“J-Lo is amazing and she doesn’t deserve this. While getting ready to marry her, he was asking me for sex videos, demanding we hook up and asking me to make arrangements with other girls,” Gregory claimed. “If he is doing this right up until the point he is proposing to her it is just not fair.”

Gregory provided screenshots of WhatsApp messages that she says show A-Rod asking if she has any friends who would want to have a threesome with them and trying to get her to send him sexually explicit videos. She said he came across like a “dirty dog” and she feels bad for Lopez and hopes she will “wake up.”

While it’s always tough to separate truth from fiction when dealing with allegations such as the ones Gregory made, A-Rod has not exactly earned the benefit of the doubt. He cheated on his ex-wife Cynthia, and Jose Canseco recently accused him of cheating on J-Lo with Canseco’s ex-wife.

MLB announces disciplinary action against Giants CEO Larry Baer

san francisco giants

Major League Baseball has concluded its investigation into a recent public incident between San Francisco Giants CEO Larry Baer and his wife, and the executive will be forced to stay away from the team without pay for a few months.

On Tuesday, MLB announced that Baer has been suspended for half of the 2019 season.

Baer was captured on video getting physical with his wife during an altercation at a public park in San Francisco earlier this month. He was placed on leave by the Giants during the investigation, and he has avoided criminal charges. Baer has been the CEO of the Giants since 2012.

Jacob deGrom, Mets agree to new five-year deal

Jacob deGrom

Jacob deGrom has been openly seeking a new contract from the New York Mets since the middle of last season, and the right-hander has finally gotten his wish.

According to numerous reports, deGrom and the Mets have reached agreement on a new five-year, $137.5 million contract. The deal runs from this season through 2023, with an opt-out after 2022 and a team option for the 2024 season.

It appears Chris Sale helped set the market for deGrom with the new contract he signed with the Boston Red Sox. deGrom is a year older than Sale, and the two aces have been equally dominant over the past several seasons.

deGrom had previously agreed to a record arbitration salary of $17 million for 2019. He will still earn $17 million this season, though a portion of the money will come via a signing bonus.

The reigning NL Cy Young Award winner went 10-9 with an absurd 1.70 ERA in 217 innings pitched last season. While he recently did not sound optimistic about getting a new contract and would not rule out the possibility of pitching less in 2019 if he didn’t get one, deGrom should enter Opening Day a happy man.

Report: Giants CEO Larry Baer may receive suspension from MLB

san francisco giants

MLB is expected to announce discipline on Tuesday morning for San Francisco Giants CEO Larry Baer, according to reporters.

Bay Area Sports Guy reported Monday night that Baer’s punishment may be a suspension. NBC Sports Bay Area’s Alex Pavlovic confirmed the punishment is expected to be announced on Tuesday.

Baer was caught on video on March 1 in a physical altercation with his wife at a public park in San Francisco. He was placed on leave by the Giants while MLB investigated the matter.

No criminal charges were filed against him.

Baer has been the team’s CEO since 2012.

Mets players left ‘pissed off’ over travel issues to Syracuse

New York Mets

Travel issues surrounding the team’s planned trip to Syracuse left many New York Mets players pissed off, according to a reporter.

The Mets hosted a spring training game on Sunday at Port St. Lucie, which is on the east coast of Florida. Their game on Monday was at the Orioles’ home in Sarasota at the complete opposite end of the state. It’s a 2.5-hour drive from one coast to the other. On top of that, the team had plans to travel to Syracuse for a workout on Tuesday to promote their new minor league affiliate. Then they would head to DC to prepare for Thursday’s season-opening game against the Washington Nationals.

Not only is that a lot of traveling in a short period of time, but complicating matters was a 3-hour delay in Monday’s flight due to a mechanical issue that would mean they would arrive in Syracuse around midnight.

The New York Post’s Mike Puma says he was told that a lot of players were pissed off by the delay and complications.

The extra travel plans with the trip to Syracuse has been a point of contention among the team. Pitcher Noah Syndergaard was actually bold enough to speak up about it and ripped the team over the trip.

Mookie Betts paying for Red Sox team dinner after record arbitration

Mookie Betts

The Boston Red Sox will enjoy a team dinner on Tuesday night in Seattle ahead of their season-opener, and the dinner will be generously hosted by Mookie Betts.

Back in February, Betts and the Red Sox agreed to a $20 million settlement to avoid arbitration. That was a record amount for a player in his second year of arbitration. When Betts and the Sox agreed to the deal, manager Alex Cora joked that the reigning MVP would pay for a team dinner because of how well he did salary-wise.

Fast forward a month and that’s exactly what is happening. Betts is treating the team to dinner, and Cora joked that nobody feels sorry for the outfielder over the cost.

This is just the start of big pay days to come for Betts. He has another year of arbitration next year and then will be able to become a free agent after that. Betts is not expecting to sign a contract extension prior to hitting free agency. He’s set to cash in big after proving himself as one of the best players in the game.

Ryan Braun missing exhibition games in Montreal due to passport

Ryan Braun

Ryan Braun is not participating in two games against the Toronto Blue Jays this week due to his passport.

The Milwaukee Brewers are in Montreal this week for exhibition games against the Jays on Monday and Tuesday. Braun is not with them because he did not have his passport, which prevents him from traveling to Canada.

Not surprisingly, this sort of thing does happen on occasion with professional athletes. Thankfully for the Brewers, they do not have any games on their regular season schedule outside of the United States.

Braun is preparing for his 13th major league season, all with the Brewers. In 125 games last year, Braun hit .254/.313/.469 with 20 home runs and 64 RBIs.