LaVar Ball did not have the best reaction upon learning his son had been traded to the New Orleans Pelicans, according to one observer.
Los Angeles-area high school sports reporter Dylan Stewart tweeted that LaVar was at the Drew League Saturday to watch youngest son LaMelo play and looked visibly upset upon hearing the trade news announced.
His video reaction was shared on social media.
ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski broke the news on Saturday that Lonzo Ball had been traded to the Pelicans as part of a package to acquire Anthony Davis. Lonzo, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three draft picks are going to New Orleans for Davis.
LaVar, the outspoken father of Lonzo, had previously cautioned the Lakers against trading his son.
LaVar’s vision included all three of his sons playing on the Lakers. While the Lakers did draft Lonzo No. 2 overall in 2017, they ended up trading him as part of the package to acquire Davis as they aim to seize a window of opportunity next season, spoiling Ball’s vision.
What’s interesting is what will happen with Lonzo in New Orleans; LaVar previously indicated he did not want his son playing there. Will they try to force a trade or give it a chance since the Pelicans’ future is looking positive with Zion Williamson and the No. 4 pick coming?
The New Orleans Pelicans are off and running this offseason, starting with a major trade of Anthony Davis that was agreed to on Saturday.
The Pelicans agreed to trade Davis to the Los Angeles Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, and three first-round draft picks, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.
The Pelicans seemed to confirm the trade on Twitter by tweeting a video of the Joker character from Batman saying “and here we go.”
This is the start of a major offseason for the Pelicans as they look to rebuild their team. The only player they have under contract long term is Jrue Holiday. They will likely be adding Zion Williamson in the draft, which will give them a great core. On top of that, they have added Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart, and they will have the opportunity to add another major player with the No. 4 pick. Plus they’ll have two future first-round picks from the Lakers to add.
David Griffin is doing major work in laying a foundation for the Pelicans during his first month on the job as their franchise leader.
The Los Angeles Lakers are involved in trade talks with the New Orleans Pelicans for Anthony Davis, and some information about players they’re willing to include in a deal is being reported.
The New York Times’ Marc Stein reported on Wednesday that the Lakers are willing to include Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram in deals, as well as the No. 4 overall pick in this year’s NBA Draft. Interestingly, Stein says it seems like the Lakers are trying to keep Kyle Kuzma out of trade talks.
During the reported trade talks between the Lakers and Pelicans prior to the trade deadline earlier this season, the Lakers were said to have made nearly everyone on their roster available, including Kuzma. It’s unclear whether their mind has changed, Magic Johnson’s resignation, or any other factor is playing a role in this.
Kuzma and Ball are under team control for an extra year over Ingram, who was drafted the year before. Kuzma is also the cheapest of the three and a relative bargain at his salary. He is on schedule to earn about a third of what Ball will be earning on his rookie deal.
The big kicker that could affect a trade is the No. 4 pick. Stein believes if the Pelicans feel they can draft a potential All-Star with the pick, they would find a way to make a deal.
A surprising destination may be emerging for Lonzo Ball if he is ultimately traded by the Los Angeles Lakers.
K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune reported on Sunday that the Chicago Bulls are “intrigue[d]” by the possibility of trading for the 21-year-old point guard. Johnson also notes that the Bulls may be in position to help facilitate a three-team deal that would send disgruntled New Orleans Pelicans star Anthony Davis to the Lakers.
For Ball, who missed 35 games to injury last season and struggled to adapt to LeBron James’ arrival, his playmaking and defensive savvy would make an ideal addition to Chicago’s young core. Fellow UCLA Bruin Zach LaVine is naturally more of a shooting guard, and big men Wendell Carter Jr and Lauri Markkanen can serve as quality pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop partners.
The Bulls have the No. 7 overall pick in this year’s draft plus other assets to offer, but they are not the only young team with interest in acquiring Ball.
Gregory Alan Foster, the former business manager for Big Baller Brand, is being investigated by the FBI for potentially defrauding the Ball family, according to a report from the Los Angeles Times.
Foster, who had known the Ball family since Lonzo was in middle school, was described by Lonzo as being “like my second dad.” Foster was removed from his position back in March, amid rumors that Big Baller Brand would be folding. Lavar Ball denied those rumors, while also referring to Foster as a “snake up in the thing.”
As it turns out, Foster had previously served prison time for running a fraudulent stock scheme that included telling potential clients that NBA stars David Robinson, Robert Horry, and Avery Johnson were investors. He ended up serving five years and met Lavar Ball and his family a decade ago, after getting out of prison.
The FBI investigation is focused on Foster’s behavior with Big Baller Brand, where he is alleged to have taken $1.5 million out of company accounts. In a lawsuit brought against Foster, it is alleged that he influenced Lonzo Ball not to sign with another apparel company but rather help grow Big Baller Brand, and also alleges that Foster drove Lonzo Ball not to try out for any other team besides the Lakers.
The Los Angeles Lakers had a very messy season, and even towards the end, the Ball family and their business associates were causing some additional headaches for the team’s braintrust.
According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, in late February, the team had to step in and stop guard Lonzo Ball from undergoing unauthorized surgery on his ankle. That surgery was being planned by now-estranged business partner Alan Foster with the knowledge and consent of LaVar Ball.
The Ohio-based surgeon had previously operated on Lonzo’s brother LiAngelo, and the team only found out when Lonzo called GM Rob Pelinka. At that point, the Lakers said they would not allow the procedure, and even threatened to void Lonzo Ball’s contract if he went through with it against their orders.
Pelinka and then-president Magic Johnson worked with Ball’s former agent Harrison Gaines to ensure the procedure did not occur. Pelinka and Johnson even traveled to Ball’s doctor appointments to ensure that he was sticking to his assigned rehab.
Amazingly, Ball’s surgery was being pushed by the same man who Ball is now suing for fraud. It’s been quite the chaotic few months for the Lakers, but the same is true of the Ball family as well. As for the Lakers, things like this are exactly why Johnson ran from the job, and why they need to get their replacement hire absolutely right.
Lonzo Ball has been making some big changes lately and appears to be distancing himself from the Big Baller Brand, but that does not mean his relationship with his father has changed.
Ball announced on Thursday that he and his agent have mutually agreed to part ways, so the Los Angeles Lakers star is in the market for new representation. Some took that to mean the 21-year-old is taking full control of his own career, but Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports reports that LaVar Ball is still very much involved as “the shot-caller in orchestrating his son’s next pivotal move.”
Sources told Haynes that LaVar has already met with a few NBA agents on Lonzo’s behalf, and some have reached out to Lonzo and become uninterested when they learned LaVar is still running the show. The biggest issue could be that LaVar has reportedly been asking agencies if they have the power to help push Lonzo and his two brothers, LiAngelo and LaMelo, to the same NBA team.
Lonzo Ball recently filed a lawsuit against a Big Baller Brand co-founder who he says stole a large sum of money from him, and there have been signs that he is looking to sign a new endorsement deal. That would likely make him appealing to agencies, but it’s no surprise LaVar’s involvement is being viewed as a negative.
While LaMelo is just 17 and could still have an NBA future, LiAngelo went undrafted last year and has not drawn any interest from teams. The thought of the three Ball brothers playing on the same NBA team is still nothing more than a family pipe dream.
Lonzo Ball appears to have made some serious changes in both his professional and personal life over the past few weeks, and the latest will be finding new representation.
Ball told ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne late Thursday night that he and his agent, Harrison Gaines, have mutually agreed to part ways. Gaines had been Ball’s agent since the 21-year-old left UCLA following his freshman season, and Ball had nothing but good things to say about him.
“Harrison Gaines has been a trusted advisor and close friend for many years,” Ball said. “He guided my NBA career with integrity and always had my best interests at heart. Harrison has always had my back and although we will no longer be working together after mutually deciding to part ways; our relationship will always be bigger than basketball.”
Gaines thanked Ball, who was his first client, and said he “has been nothing short of phenomenal” while the two worked together.
Ball recently filed a lawsuit against a Big Baller Brand co-founder who he says stole a large sum of money from him, but he says Gaines supported him through that and the situation has nothing to do with him and the agent parting ways. Ball has hinted on social media that he is going to leave the Big Baller Brand for a new company, so perhaps he is just starting fresh in as many ways as possible.
Lonzo Ball is taking legal action against a Big Baller Brand co-founder.
Ball filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles on Tuesday in which he alleges Big Baller Brand co-founder Alan Foster defrauded them and stole $1.5 million from him. The suit alleges Foster, who spent time in federal prison for running a Ponzi scheme, schemed to get close to the Ball family to take advantage of them, knowing about the basketball prowess of the three brothers.
Foster, who owns around 16 percent of the shoe/apparel company, allegedly stole $1.5 million from Lonzo. TMZ Sports says Lonzo is asking for over $2 million from Foster.
The negative news surrounding the Ball family and Big Baller Brand has been trickling out over the past 1.5 weeks. We learned in March that Ball was breaking ties with Foster after believing he stole $1.5 million from him. That piece of information was the first in many steps of Ball distancing himself from the brand. He hinted on Instagram at a move to Nike. He even covered up his Big Baller Brand tattoo.
Though the Big Baller Brand was a great idea and had a lot of momentum, their poor logistics, personnel decisions, and execution kept them from developing into the vision LaVar once held.
Lonzo Ball has seemingly been distancing himself from the Big Baller Brand in recent weeks, but his father LaVar is trying to throw cold water on all of the talk that the company is in big trouble.
Lonzo has given numerous signs that he is splitting from the brand his father co-founded, and one of the most noteworthy was when he had a tattoo artist cover up the BBB logo he previously had on his arm. That took place following a report that the company had as much as $1.5 million stolen by family friend and co-founder Alan Foster.
While LaVar says any talk of the Big Baller Brand folding is false, he also told TMZ this week that he doesn’t blame Lonzo for covering up the tattoo.
“Lonzo had to cover that Triple B up anyway. You can’t play with no band-aid when you not even hurt,” LaVar said. “It feels weird playing like that. So, you gotta cover it anyway.”
What LaVar seemed to mean by that is he doesn’t blame Lonzo for being angry after the stunt Foster pulled. He wouldn’t confirm nor deny if Lonzo is leaving the Big Baller Brand for Nike, but he said the talk of the company folding originated when he threatened to close up shop because of what Foster had done.
“We had a meeting before the story came out, man. And, everybody was in they feelings,” he said. “What I mean by that is, we’re not really thinking. ‘Cause I told them we’re shutting down everything, ’cause I don’t want him to get nothing.”
“So, I said it was shut down. And, that’s why everybody heard what I said and was going on them things.”
If a recent social media post from Lonzo is any indication, he is at least considering the possibility of leaving his family’s brand in favor of a more reputable company. But for now, that apparently does not mean the BBB is done.