Floyd Mayweather Jr and Khabib Nurmagomedov have been hyping up a potential fight ever since Khabib defeated Conor McGregor earlier this month, but there is one significant obstacle standing in the way of it actually happening — the bout would have to take place in the Octagon.
Mayweather insisted recently that the fight is going to happen, but he said it would have to be a boxing match. UFC president Dana White told TMZ this week that that is not going to work for him.
“Listen, if Mayweather wants to fight, come fight,” White said. “You fight in the UFC. We’re not boxing again. We did that once. That’s over. … You want to fight, come fight — a real fight.”
It was unlikely to begin with that Mayweather and Khabib would actually square off, but it seems virtually impossible if White insists upon an MMA setting. Mayweather is not going to do that at this point in his career, and Khabib is under contract with the UFC. White can basically squash the fight, and it sounds like he has no interest in signing off on another boxing match.
If Mayweather does fight again, a rematch of the highest-grossing fight in boxing history is far more probable than him getting into the Octagon with Khabib.
Is Floyd Mayweather going to come out of retirement (again) to fight at the end of the year? That’s what Manny Pacquiao says.
Pacquiao recently signed with Mayweather’s advisor Al Haymon and has a fight coming up against Adrien Broner in January. That fight is supposed to be a prelude to a Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch.
According to Pacquiao, Floyd will have a tune-up first that will take place on New Year’s Eve.
“Floyd is going to fight on December 31 and I’m going to fight January 12,” Pacquiao said, via The Mirror. “After that, we’ll know [about their rematch]… he’s coming back, we’ll discuss it after Broner.”
If that indeed is the plan, they’re not doing a whole lot of promoting. That supposed fight date for Mayweather is only 2.5 months away. Fighters usually have done media tours by then. Mayweather did say last month that he was going to return this year to fight Pacquiao, but that was about it.
Either Mayweather is simply bored in retirement or he wants more money, because the guy never seems to stick by his retirement announcements.
Mayweather, 40, is 50-0 in his career and last fought in August, defeating Conor McGregor. He and Pacquiao fought in May, 2015, setting a pay-per-view record with 4.6 million buys for a fight that left most fans disappointed and even angry.
Floyd Mayweather Jr is once again talking about the possibility of returning to boxing even though he “retired” after fighting Conor McGregor. There has been talk about a potential rematch between Mayweather and McGregor, but Floyd says he has his sights set on another UFC champion.
Khabib Nurmagomedov, who recently defeated McGregor to retain the UFC lightweight title, said last week that he wants to go the McGregor route by fighting Mayweather. Floyd told TMZ this week that he’s open to making it happen.
“Oh we fighting,” Mayweather said confidently. “I’m my own boss. I can’t say what’s going on on Khabib’s end, but on my end we can make it happen.”
Mayweather stressed that the fight would have to be in Las Vegas despite Khabib hinting he wanted it to take place elsewhere, and he said the UFC champ would have to conduct himself in a respectful manner inside and outside of the ring. Mayweather was, of course, referring to the embarrassing events that took place after Khabib’s fight against McGregor.
As for why Mayweather would want to fight another MMA superstar, we all know the reason — money.
“He called me out. Come into my world,” Mayweather said, noting that it would have to be a boxing match. “Let’s make it happen. When I face Khabib, of course, I’m getting a nine-figure payday.”
Mayweather insists he would make about $100 million more in guaranteed money than he got when he fought McGregor if he fights Khabib, which seems unrealistic.
It’s hard to tell when Mayweather is serious about something, as he’s a master promoter who knows how to build hype and keep his name in the news. He also said recently that he is going to fight Manny Pacquiao again, which seems a lot more likely to happen than him squaring off against Khabib.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. recently announced that he is coming out of “retirement” once again for a rematch against Manny Pacquiao, and there is plenty of skepticism over whether the fight will actually happen. That was to be expected, but someone who knows Floyd quite well insists the undefeated champion is not messing around.
Stephen Espinoza, president of programming for Showtime Sports, told TMZ over the weekend that Mayweather is “deadly serious” about fighting Pacquiao again.
“I haven’t spoken to Floyd,” Espinoza admitted. “I know he is deadly serious about it. He is very, very serious about wanting to fight from everything that I’ve seen and heard. Manny Pacquiao is serious about it as well.”
Espinoza said it would be difficult to work out all of the details of the fight before the end of 2018, but he believes the rematch will take place at some point in the near future. He added that he understands why there was skepticism about whether Mayweather was serious because of the way he announced he is planning to fight Pacquiao, but that is simply Floyd’s marketing style.
There had been talk about Mayweather only doing promoting work for Pacquiao’s next fight, but as of now it sounds like he wants a rematch. When you can make the kind of money that Mayweather and Pacquiao would make from fighting again, it’s hard to turn it down.
Conor McGregor has a big fight coming up on Saturday but also has his eye on a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
McGregor joined “Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show” on Monday and said that he would like to face Mayweather again. He is open to either an MMA fight or boxing rematch against Mayweather, but he made it clear that he will not agree to a modified rules MMA fight.
“If [Mayweather] has the bottle to come over and deal with this, like he said he has, let’s see what happens. I would also like to box him again. Everything is being discussed. Every rule set. If it’s not an MMA bout, then I don’t want to know. It’s either a straight MMA bout or a straight boxing bout. If they come looking for modified rules, I would rather just box the kid again. If you don’t want to deal with it, then don’t deal with it and stop going on like you’re doing,” McGregor told Helwani.
In the meantime, McGregor has a much bigger task ahead. He is set to face Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 for the lightweight championship. Khabib is 26-0 and may be McGregor’s toughest opponent yet.
After his fight with Khabib, McGregor says he has given consideration to facing Anderson Silva. He also says he would like to complete his trilogy with Nate Diaz at some point.
McGregor and Mayweather fought in Aug. 2017, with Floyd winning by 10th-round TKO. McGregor hung tough for such a challenging fight in his pro boxing debut, though Floyd may have carried the fight into later rounds to give viewers a better show. The fight had 4.3 million pay-per-view buys, second only to Floyd’s fight with Manny Pacquiao. A rematch would probably not sell quite as well, though it would do plenty of buys thanks to the popularity of both fighters. Mayweather said earlier this year that he was training in MMA, but we have our doubts about him stepping into the cage without modified rules.
Floyd Mayweather Jr has officially hit Brett Favre status when it comes to retirements.
Mayweather announced on Instagram Saturday morning that he will come out of retirement yet again so that he can fight Manny Pacquiao in a rematch.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on
A second fight between the men will mark their rematch of a May 2, 2015 bout that left many disappointed. Mayweather won the match convincingly in a unanimous decision. Pacquiao hardly looked like himself and barely threw any punches, which was later attributed to a serious shoulder injury. Fans later sued over the shoulder injury. The fight did 4.6 million pay-per-view buys, which is a record for combat sports, and generated an estimated $400 million in revenue.
Mayweather facing Pacquiao will not only mark their second fight, but Mayweather’s third time coming out of an official retirement, making him similar to Favre, who officially came out of retirement twice, and toyed with the idea of retirement many more times.
Mayweather’s first retirement came after he beat Ricky Hatton on Dec. 8, 2007 to improve to 39-0. Mayweather said at the time that he would concentrate on building his promotional business. He returned to the ring almost two years later on Sept. 19, 2009 and beat Juan Manuel Marquez to go 40-0. Prior to his fight with Hatton, Mayweather openly contemplated retirement because he had just beaten Oscar De La Hoya.
Mayweather retired a second time after beating Andre Berto on Sept. 12, 2015 to improve to 49-0. At that point Mayweather had completed his six-fight contract with Showtime, but there was speculation that he would return for another fight to make his record 50-0.
Mayweather indeed returned two years later to beat Conor McGregor in a one-off boxing match against the UFC champion on Aug. 17, 2017. That made him 50-0. Mayweather retired again after the fight.
If Floyd retires after facing Pacquiao, that would mark his fourth retirement.
So what’s the deal with all the retirements? We have a few thoughts.
One, on a basic level, Mayweather constantly retiring and unretiring could come down to a matter of poor terminology. Maybe if he said he was putting his career on hiatus or taking a sabbatical, that would be more appropriate wording. But the more likely reason for his multiple retirements is negotiating power. By retiring, Mayweather gives himself added leverage in contract negotiations. While retired, he needs to be convinced to make a return. He is the main draw, the big attraction, and he makes himself more scarce and therefore more valuable by saying he is retired. He drives his price up with this tactic.
Mayweather is a businessman — an excellent one at that. He knows what he is doing with his retirements, and he knows that he’ll be making a ton of money every time he comes out of it to fight.
There has still been plenty of talk about a potential rematch between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor, and Floyd’s father clearly has no problem fueling the speculation.
In a recent interview with Helen Yee Sports, Floyd Mayweather Sr. said he has seen signs that point toward his son and McGregor squaring off again.
“I don’t know for sure but I’m just saying the way things are sounding to me,” Mayweather Sr. said, as transcribed by The Sun. “Sounds like he (my son) wants to fight again.”
Mayweather Sr. said he is confident McGregor wants to fight again to show people what he can do, which Floyd Sr. insists is “nothing.” He hinted that a second fight would also take place inside the boxing ring and that Mayweather Jr. would knock McGregor out of the sport for good.
“I’m just saying I think they are going to fight the same way [boxing rules],” Mayweather Sr. added. “I think that Conor McGregor want to get that win back that he had, which is never coming back to him anyway.
“It’s being talked about and it sounds like there is a lot of interest in it right now.”
Floyd Sr. and Jr. are both very good promoters, so it makes sense that they would want to keep the hype alive. Many people thought a rematch between Mayweather and McGregor would take place in an MMA setting, but that seems highly unlikely. Whatever the case, the way the two fighters have continued to throw shade at each other indicates they want their beef to continue.