Conor McGregor appears to have no interest in training with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
On Tuesday, TMZ Sports released a video of Mayweather telling McGregor to come to his Mayweather Boxing Club to train for his upcoming fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229. Mayweather also said he would like to attend the fight.
Later in the day, McGregor tweeted about the Mayweathers, which some thought was a response to Floyd’s offer.
“F— the Mayweathers, except Senior and Roger.
There is no peace here kid.
Step up or step down.”
That seems to be a lot of shade direct at Floyd, who is a “junior” to his father, Floyd Mayweather Sr.
It also could be interpreted as McGregor calling out Floyd to come fight him in the UFC rather than boxing like they did last year. There has been a lot of talk that Mayweather could end up fighting in the UFC, so maybe this is a step towards making that happen.
Manny Pacquiao may be interested in a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr, but it sounds like “Money” is interested in something else.
Mayweather spoke with FightHype.com and expressed interest in promoting the Filipino fighter.
“Actually, I’m gonna get on the phone with Pacquiao after I get off this call and get in touch. And we can put him in position and get him some…[there’s] a lot of good competition out there that he could fight,” Mayweather said.
Following his victory over Lucas Matthysse last month, Pac-Man said he was open to a rematch with Mayweather. Floyd hasn’t fought since beating Conor McGregor last year and probably has no interest in putting himself against a dangerous opponent like Manny. Instead he’s focusing on his promotional career.
Pacquiao probably would have little interest in having Floyd promote him; Manny recently split with Top Rank and is promoting himself, perhaps as part of his cost-cutting measures. What would he gain from letting Floyd promote him?
It has been more than three years since Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. finally squared off in a match that seemed like it would never actually take place, and Pacquiao is ready to do it all over again.
Pacquiao picked up his 60th career win and captured the WBA welterweight title when he defeated Lucas Matthysse by TKO on Sunday, and he said he is very open to defending the belt against Mayweather.
“Mayweather? If he decides to go back to boxing then that is the time we are going to call the shots,” Pacquiao told reporters when asked about a possible rematch, according to ESPN 5. “I have the belt, so it’s up to him. If he wants to come back in boxing let’s do a second one.”
Pacquiao is 39, but he insists the way he trained for the Matthysse is sustainable. He looked like his old self in the fight and threw threw punches in flurries, so it makes sense that he is willing to keep going. If Mayweather — who is 41 and has not fought since his mega-bout against Conor McGregor last summer — isn’t up for it, there has been talk of Pacquiao possibly fighting Amir Khan.
“Yes that’s a potential opponent; Amir Khan,” he said. “There’s a lot of potential opponents there, like Lomachenko, there are so many fighters that have potential to be my opponent next.”
While there were some questions about how much effort Matthysse was putting forth, there’s no denying Pacquiao is still in great shape. Mayweather has seemingly kept in top physical condition as well, but a rematch between the two seems highly unlikely.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. may be done with his boxing career, but the 15-time champion still collects plenty of money from endorsement deals and public appearances. The latter only work if Mayweather shows up, and one overseas company claims he took money from them without holding up his end of the bargain.
According to a report from TMZ, Mayweather is being sued by a Nigerian media company that claims it paid Mayweather $210,000 as a deposit for five appearances he was supposed to make in Ghana and Nigeria in 2017. The company, Zinni Media, claims it was going to pay Mayweather a total of $375,000 for the appearances and that he recorded a video to confirm them, but he bailed days before the first event.
Mayweather’s representatives apparently offered to reschedule, so they added more appearances and raised the price to $510,000. He still never showed, and Zinni is now suing Floyd for $2 million. Here’s more:
In the suit, Zinni claims Floyd’s reps offered to reschedule for Dec. 2017 — and added more appearances to the list — but, he also raised the price to $550,000. Zinni claims they were told they could use the $210k toward the new booking price.
Zinni says they ACCEPTED the new deal — but, when they asked Floyd to make a new video confirming the new dates, he bailed again … and never returned the original $210,000.
Now, Zinni is taking legal action in federal court in California — claiming Floyd damaged their reputation and defrauded them. Zinni wants at least $2 MILLION to make things right.
When you take into consideration all the money Mayweather has made and the big purchase he is reportedly looking into, it’s obvious $2 million or any type of settlement he might be forced to pay would not set him back much. Still, that’s not a great look if the allegations in the lawsuit are true.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Conor McGregor deserves every bit of criticism thrown his way over his involvement in the insane bus attack outside the Barclays Center earlier this week, but should Floyd Mayweather Jr. really be passing judgment on anyone’s character?
Mayweather attended Saturday night’s Showtime boxing event headlined by Erislandy Lara and Jarrett Hurd, and he was asked about McGregor getting arrested. You could say his response was a bit hypocritical.
Mayweather on McGregor’s incident at Barclays Center:
“I feel that when you have reached such high status you have to carry yourself in a classy way. Outside the ring you have to carry yourself as a gentleman.”
— Gilbert Manzano (@GManzano24) April 8, 2018
While Mayweather and his friends have never smashed up a bus that was carrying other fighters, Floyd hasn’t exactly been a role model outside of the ring. He has been accused of domestic violence numerous times and pleaded guilty to the charges twice, spending time in jail in 2010 after pleading guilty to misdemeanor domestic assault and harassment.
In fact, McGregor has trolled Mayweather over his domestic violence history, so perhaps this is Floyd’s way of returning the favor. To put it bluntly, no parent should want their son looking up to either fighter.
Floyd Mayweather Jr seems to be making it pretty clear that there is a lot more than just talk behind the possibility of him stepping into the octagon.
Mayweather was interviewed by Showtime’s Jim Gray on Saturday night during the boxing show headlined by Erislandy Lara and Jarrett Hurd. In his interview, Mayweather talked heavily about what’s in store for him, and he indicated he will fight in MMA.
“Is it possible that I come back? Yes, but if I do comeback, it has to be in the octagon,” Mayweather said.
— SHOWTIME Boxing (@ShowtimeBoxing) April 8, 2018
Then Mayweather didn’t equivocate about whether he would fight in MMA.
“When I do go to the octagon, I look forward to going to 145 (pounds),” he said.
Note how Mayweather said “when” and not “if”.
Gray noticed that and pointed it out. Mayweather also said he was confident he would get the amount of money he wants for the fight.
“Only if the money is right. The money will always be right. Of course the numbers is going to be crazy.”
— SHOWTIME Boxing (@ShowtimeBoxing) April 8, 2018
There has been plenty of talk about Mayweather stepping into the octagon and fighting in the UFC. Mayweather’s father has said that Floyd Jr is training for MMA. As for whom he would fight, well Dana White seemed to hint at it last week.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr.
It still seems highly unlikely that Floyd Mayweather Jr. will ever have a professional fight in a mixed martial arts setting, but Dana White refuses to rule out it.
TMZ caught up with White over the weekend, and the UFC boss was asked if there is anything new to report with Mayweather’s MMA career or a potential rematch — this time in the octagon — with Conor McGregor.
“I’m interested and obviously he’s interested,” White said. “The last time we were both interested you saw what happened. … I know Conor wants it.”
White continues to leave the possibility open by noting how far-fetched everyone thought the Mayweather-McGregor boxing match was, which is a good point. However, a 41-year-old boxer trying to transition to MMA seems like a very tall task, and White alluded to that.
“Obviously he’s a very talented guy, but as far as the wrestling — nobody’s gonna learn wrestling in six to eight weeks,” White said. “It takes years of wrestling, martial arts and combat sports training to be a mixed martial artist.”
With the amount of money that would be made if Mayweather and McGregor fought again, it would be unwise to completely rule it out. The two fighters have continued to trade shots on social media, so they clearly want the buzz to continue.