pixel 1
header
Friday, April 10, 2020

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Floyd Mayweather looking to buy soccer club Newcastle United, sign Cristiano Ronaldo

Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather Jr’s post-boxing escapades may be taking him into the world of soccer next.

In a recent print interview with British newspaper The Daily Star Sunday, the retired five-division champion expressed interest in buying Newcastle United of the Premier League.

“I love Newcastle. Those guys like to party as hard as any city I have been to anywhere in the world,” said Mayweather, according to Brian Campbell of CBS Sports. “I met some of the players last year and they are good guys. I am always open to new business opportunities and I love all sports, but I invest with my head not my heart.

“Investing with your heart is the quickest way to lose money,” Mayweather added. “But if somebody put together a business plan and my people looked over it and went ‘Floyd, that can make money,’ then I would invest. Soccer might not be my game but I’ve got connections everywhere.”

Mayweather then turned his attention to a well-known Real Madrid star.

“Cristiano Ronaldo has been a long-time supporter and buddy of mine, so I might even be able to get him to finish his career off at Newcastle,” he said.

Newcastle currently sits at 13th this season in the Premier League, England’s top soccer league. This is their first season back in the PL after an 18th place-finish in 2015-16 got them relegated to the lower-level EFL Championship.

Current Newcastle owner Mike Ashley announced back in October that the club was being put up for sale. Meanwhile, Ronaldo, 33, is signed with Real Madrid through 2021 but has recently been said to want out over their perceived delay in extending him a new contract offer.

As for Mayweather himself, he definitely has the means to swing a purchase of Newcastle with his net worth estimated at nearly $1 billion. But he may have his sights set on another sporting venture first.

Floyd Mayweather, ex-fiancée’s legal battle over alleged abuse, theft headed for trial

Floyd Mayweather Shantel Jackson

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and his ex-fiancee Shantel Jackson have been wrapped up in a legal war for several years, and the case is finally headed for a trial.

In September 2014, Jackson filed a lawsuit against Mayweather claiming he physically assaulted her and threatened her with a gun. She also said the undefeated boxer caused harm to her by publicly accusing her of aborting the former couple’s unborn twins. According to Nancy Dillon of the New York Daily News, a seemingly irritated judge sent the case to trial on Tuesday.

“I’d like to set this for trial. I understand it’s complicated,” Judge Monica Bachner said during a hearing in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Mayweather recently filed a lawsuit of his own against Jackson, claiming she stole money from him an an elaborate manner when the two were together. There has been talk that Mayweather became so angry with Jackson because he was jealous of her relationship with a well-known hip-hop artist.

In addition to the lawsuit, Jackson is also still pursuing assault and battery claims against Mayweather.

Floyd Mayweather Sr. indicates Floyd Mayweather Jr. is training for UFC

Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has given several hints that he is considering at least one mixed martial arts fight, and the undefeated boxer’s father believes things are heading in that direction.

In a recent interview with Amer Abdallah for Mayweather’s YouTube channel, Floyd Mayweather Sr. was asked if the hype surrounding his son fighting in the UFC is real.

“The way I see it, I have to believe that this is where it’s going,” Mayweather Sr. said. “The way it looks, I think so.”

For what it’s worth, Floyd Sr. said he would not advise his son to pursue a career in MMA neither as a trainer nor a father. However, he said he will still do the best he can to make sure Floyd Jr. never loses a fight even if he does decide to fight in the octagon.

“I don’t know what the (motivation is). As of now, he’s got enough money,” Mayweather Sr. added. “He’s got enough to live his life out.

“I think he could win a few fights, but I think it’s best to leave it alone. You can do your own thing, man. But you go in somebody else’s playground, and it’s … you just can’t do that, man. Don’t get me wrong, I believe he can beat some of those fighters like he did with the other guys, but it ain’t worth it. There ain’t no other way he can go right now besides backwards.”

Floyd Jr. has never been shy in admitting that money is his biggest motivator, and it’s obvious how much he could make if he fought Conor McGregor in the UFC. The question is whether or not it would be worth it, as Floyd is 40 and will almost certainly lose. If he wants several more ping pong tables like the one he recently bought, he just might decide climbing into the octagon is worthwhile.

Floyd Mayweather has a $30,000 crystal ping pong table

Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather has taken to showing off some of his expensive assets lately, but one item in particular caught our eye.

On Friday night, Mayweather shared a photo and video of his $30,000 crystal glass ping pong table, made by impatia. He was even playing on it:

I’d probably be too scared about damaging it to play on it. But there’s Mayweather, getting his game on.

As sweet as that item is, you buy enough things like that and you end up needing to keep up that cash flow. Maybe that’s why Mayweather’s been flirting with the idea of facing Conor McGregor again.

Showtime boss says ‘there’s a chance’ Floyd Mayweather could fight in UFC

Floyd Mayweather

At the very least, Floyd Mayweather Jr. wants us to believe that he is planning to try his hand at mixed martial arts at some point this year. And if he actually tries to make it happen, it sounds like the network he is under contract with is willing to help.

TMZ caught up with Showtime Sports executive vice president Stephen Espinoza at the Super Bowl this week, and he said he had seen Mayweather’s cryptic social media posts this week indicating the undefeated boxer is training for an MMA fight. Espinoza said he plans to meet with Mayweather in Minneapolis and those videos will be “a topic of conversation.” He also didn’t rule out Mayweather fighting in the UFC.

“There’s a chance,” Espinoza said. “Whatever he puts his mind to, he sort of wills it to happen. He willed the McGregor fight to happen. So if he sets his mind to it, it’ll happen.”

On Tuesday, Mayweather posted a short clip with no dialogue that showed him climbing into the octagon. He followed that up with another video on Wednesday, and that was the strongest indication to date that he’s not done fighting.

Dana White has said numerous times that Mayweather fighting in the UFC is a possibility, and Floyd and Conor McGregor have continued to take shots at one another on social media. While Mayweather, who is 40 and has no MMA experience, would stand virtually no chance against McGregor in an MMA setting, we all know how much money the fight would make.

Conor McGregor responds to Floyd Mayweather’s cryptic MMA video

Floyd Mayweather Conor McGregor

It is incredibly unlikely that Floyd Mayweather Jr. will ever take part in an actual MMA bout, but that isn’t stopping the undefeated boxer from climbing into the octagon to fuel speculation about it.

On Tuesday, Mayweather posted a short clip on social media that showed him stepping into the cage and pacing around like he was waiting for a fight. Floyd said nothing in the video and the post had no caption.

Of course, many instantly believed that Mayweather could be hinting at something. Is he planning to try his hand at MMA? Could a UFC fight between him and Conor McGregor actually happen? McGregor responded with a tweet of his own:

Mayweather is 40 and has zero MMA experience. It would be even more dangerous for him to go from the boxing ring to the octagon than it was for McGregor to do the opposite, and Floyd has to know that. He also knows that his brand grows stronger the longer he can stay in the spotlight, which is why he continues to take shots at McGregor any chance he gets.

Long story short: We’d be shocked if there is any hidden meaning behind Mayweather’s little video.

Floyd Mayweather thought ‘me too’ movement had to do with being rich

Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has made no bones about the fact that money is the most important thing in his life, so you’ll have to excuse him if he applies his own principles to social activist movements.

As almost anyone who owns a computer or television set could tell you, the “#MeToo” movement is one that has gained recognition in recent months as a way for people to speak out against sexual harassment and assault. Many women have shared their stories of being victims of such behavior and used the hashtag #MeToo as a show of solidarity. In a recent interview with Jordyn Taylor of Men’s Health, Mayweather was asked how he believes men can grow in 2018 in light of the “me too” movement.

“The who?” the undefeated boxer asked.

When Taylor informed Mayweather that she was referring to sexual assault, he seemed clueless.

“When you say ‘me too’ … When somebody is like, ‘I got a Rolls Royce, I be like ‘me too,'” Mayweather said. “When somebody say they got a private jet, I say, ‘Me too. I got two. Me too.'”

Floyd can’t be serious, can he?

“Well, I didn’t know!” he insisted. “My Me Too movement from the beginning was whenever somebody said what they have I’m like, ‘me too.’ Somebody say they got a billion dollars, I say, ‘I made a billion dollars, me too.'”

If that’s Mayweather’s way of trying to troll everyone, it’s in pretty poor taste. As someone who has a well-documented history with domestic violence, Floyd should tread lightly when discussing topics of that nature.

H/T Barstool Sports