Alvarez and GGG do not like each other. They fought to a draw in 2017. They had a rematch the following year and Alvarez won a narrow decision.
Canelo spent the next handful of years avoiding GGG, but he finally is giving Golovkin the third fight between them. GGG is 40 years old at this point, while Canelo is 31. Alvarez seems to have a lot going in his favor.
GGG has only fought once in the last 18 months, though he has gone 4-0 since his 2018 loss to Alvarez. Canelo is 57-2-2 and coming off a surprising loss to Dmitrii Bivol.
GGG was initially supposed to get back into the ring with Alvarez, but the latest plans for that bout were impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. He will now look to improve upon his 40-1-1 record with a win over Szeremeta, which could set up his next fight against Alvarez.
If there were any questions about Golovkin’s age or motivation, those photos should answer some of them.
Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin were expected to meet in the final installment of their trilogy later this year, but that fight is being pushed back.
In March, The Athletic’s Lance Pugmire reported that Canelo and GGG agreed to financial terms for a third fight between them. The hope was that the fight would take place on September 12 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
On Thursday, SI’s Chris Mannix said the fight is still set to happen but is being pushed back due to the lack of crowds.
Should come as no surprise, but a third fight between Canelo Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin will not happen in September, sources close to both fighters told @SInow. The fight is still likely to happen, but with COVID-19 wiping out crowds, the trilogy fight will be pushed back.
Texas’ governor announced on Thursday that sports could resume in June with outdoor stadiums filled to 25 percent capacity. AT&T Stadium has a retractable roof and might be able to pass as outdoor if the roof is open, but due to the limited capacity, those involved would prefer to hold the fight at a later date.
Alvarez was originally planning to fight Billy Joe Saunders in May before fighting Golovkin in September. GGG was set to fight Kamil Szeremeta.
Alvarez and GGG fought to a draw in their first bout in 2017. Alvarez won a decision in their second match, which came a year later. Canelo tested positive for a banned substance prior to their second fight.
Gennady Golovkin did not put on his best performance in a narrow win over Sergiy Derevyanchenko, and the 37-year-old from Kazakhstan was bothered by the negative fan reception after the fight.
Golovkin won a unanimous decision over Derevyanchenko, receiving scores of 115-112 from two judges and 114-113 from another. Judge Kevin Morgan actually scored it six rounds to six, but Golovkin got one extra point thanks to a 10-8 round in the first from a knockdown.
Golovkin was booed by the fans at Madison Square Garden after the fight and had a hard time conducting his postfight interview on DAZN as a result.
Gennady Golovkin did not get his wish of facing Canelo Alvarez in September. Instead, he will be facing Sergiy Dervyanchenko.
GGG and Derevyanchenko finalized a deal to fight October 5 at Madison Square Garden in New York, The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger reports. Coppinger says there will be a press conference on Thursday to announce the deal.
GGG signed a 6-fight deal with streaming service DAZN in March that called for him to fight twice a year. He fought earlier this year against Steve Rolls and won easily. The next fight will fulfill his 2019 obligations to the service.
Although Golovkin facing Dervyanchenko is something, it’s not what DAZN wanted. Both the emerging service and Golovkin wanted a third fight with Canelo to take place, but Canelo’s promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, had no immediate interest in that.
Dervyanchenko is 13-1 with 10 KOs, but his lone loss came to Daniel Jacobs, whom Golovkin beat in 2017.
What’s the background? De La Hoya runs Golden Boy Promotions and makes Canelo Alvarez’s fights. Golovkin and Canelo have fought each of the last two Septembers, with the first being declared a draw and Canelo being awarded a majority decision win in the second fight. GGG was saying after the fight that he was ready for a third match with Canelo, but Oscar seems opposed. Golovkin also lost his middleweight title belts when he was beaten by Alvarez, which is why Oscar says GGG needs to win one.
Golovkin did not sign with DAZN to not face Alvarez a third time. The only question is when that fight will take place. Oscar seems to want to see GGG fight someone else before taking on Canelo.
Gennady Golovkin did to Steve Rolls exactly what he was supposed to do.
GGG knocked out Rolls in the fourth round of their middleweight fight at Madison Square Garden in New York on Saturday night with a huge left hand. Twice during the 20 seconds before the knockout, Golovkin cracked Rolls with overhand shots that left the Canadian fighter wobbly. GGG then put the finishing touches on with a huge left that kept Rolls down for the count.
Canelo Alvarez says he is willing to fight Gennady Golovkin for a third time.
Alvarez beat Daniel Jacobs via unanimous decision on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. In his postfight interview with Chris Mannix on DAZN, Alvarez was asked about his next fight. He was asked whether he thinks there is unfinished business between him and GGG and said no.
“No, for me, we’re done. But if the people want another fight, we’ll do it again and I’ll beat him again,” Alvarez said.
Golovkin signed with DAZN in March, leading to expectations that they will complete their trilogy on the network. Another fighter Canelo could face is Demetrius Andrade.
Golovkin is set to fight Steve Rolls in June. Canelo likely will not fight again until September.
Alvarez and Golovkin fought to a draw in their first fight in 2017, while Alvarez won a majority decision in their rematch in 2018. Fighting for the third year in a row would seem to make plenty of sense.
Gennady Golovkin is a free agent in the boxing world after his contract with HBO ended, and new sports streaming service DAZN may be in the lead to sign him.
Golovkin has been meeting with different boxing promotions/TV companies over the past few months. He met with DAZN and Premier Boxing Champions in December and also received an offer from ESPN/Top Rank. GGG seems to be getting closer to signing as he met with prospective companies this week.
Ring Magazine’s Mike Coppinger reported on Friday that DAZN is in the lead to sign him after offering a two-fight deal worth at least $40 million.
Sources: DAZN has emerged as the front-runner in the GGG sweepstakes. They offered a two-fight deal Wednesday that would pay GGG at least $40 million and a September bout with Canelo. PBC offered a two-fight deal that pays eight figures per bout and fall fight vs. Jermall Charlo
DAZN made a major splash last year by signing Canelo Alvarez to a $350 million, multi-fight deal. The problem is DAZN needs to find enough quality opponents who are available to fight him; many potential competitors belong to other promotions, like Top Rank or PBC.
Golovkin signing with DAZN would allow him and Canelo to meet for a third time, perhaps in September, and give DAZN a much more stacked roster of fighters.