Saturday night’s Triller fight card at Staples Center in Los Angeles headlined by Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. was a roaring success, even if the main event had a bogus outcome.
Tyson and Jones Jr. fought an 8-round exhibition match with a smaller ring, smaller gloves, and shorter round duration than is standard for non-exhibitions. Iron Mike, 54, hadn’t fought since 2005 prior to facing Jones Jr., but he looked good given his age.
Tyson came out swinging and showed off good speed on his punches and his typical ability to strike from close range. He dominated the entire fight and clearly won it. Comparatively, Jones Jr. barely was throwing punches and didn’t appear to land anything of consequence. Despite that, the fight went the distance and was ruled a draw by the three judges.
Chad Dawson scored it 76-76, Christy Martin had it 79-73 Tyson, and Vinny Pazienza scored it 80-76 for Jones.
“Yeah, but I’m good with a draw,” Tyson said afterwards. Iron Mike was pleased because he entertained the fans.
Jones Jr. accepted the result but cracked a joke.
“I wear drawers, but I don’t do draws,” he said.
They talked about fighting a rematch.
“We gotta do this again. Everybody loves Mike. It’s tough taking punches from Mike,” Jones said afterwards.
The entire event was a success because the fans loved it. First, the fight before the main event had the kind of outcome social media was made for. Former NBA player Nate Robinson was knocked out cold by Jake Paul and then got mocked on social media. Play-by-play announcer Mauro Ranallo was excellent, and Snoop Dogg stole the show with some funny lines as part of his commentary during the fight.
If they’re considering putting together another similar card, you can bet the fans will want to see it. The entire event delivered, even if the “draw” ruling did not.
Mike Tyson is set to face Roy Jones Jr. in a pay-per-view fight on Saturday, but there’s another man who would like a shot at Iron Mike.
Evander Holyfield and Tyson fought twice in a pair of infamous bouts during the ’90s. Holyfield won the first fight via 11th-round TKO. He won the second fight after Tyson was disqualified for biting Tyson’s ear. Holyfield says he would love a third fight with Tyson but he has a price.
“I wasn’t getting in the ring for less than $25 million,” Holyfield said on the “I Am Athlete Podcast” about talks for a third fight with Tyson.
Holyfield says it should be on Tyson to reach out if he wants to fight again.
“If they called me to fight in two days, I’d be there to fight in two days,” Holyfield told host Brandon Marshall.
Talks of a third fight between the men have been going on for over a decade. There were talks earlier this year about the two possibly fighting, but maybe Holyfield’s price stood in the way.
Holyfield last fought in 2011. The 58-year-old is 44-10-2 (1) in his career. Seven of the losses occurred after he turned 35.
Mike Tyson recently spoke about the ways he used to beat drug tests during his legendary boxing career, and former MMA fighter Chael Sonnen is convinced that means Tyson is using illegal performance-enhancing substances now.
Tyson said on his “Hotboxin'” podcast recently that he used to use a prosthetic penis — also known as a Whizzinator — and his son’s or wife’s urine to pass drug tests during his boxing career. He didn’t specify which substance he had used, but Iron Mike said in his book several years ago that he used cocaine and marijuana during his career. Sonnen is convinced that means Tyson is still doing something wrong.
On his YouTube channel recently, Sonnen said he interpreted Tyson’s story as a way of coming clean. He believes it is an indication that Tyson is currently on PEDs and will be for his upcoming fight against Roy Jones Jr.
“It’s very hard to come clean and in many ways, this was Tyson’s attempt to come clean,” Sonnen said, via Darryl Pinto of Essentially Sports. “Not only was Tyson using performance enhancers, he’s using performance enhancers right now. He will go into the Roy Jones fight on performance enhancers right now.”
Sonnen compared Tyson’s admission to one that UFC fighter Jon Jones made. Sonnen believes Jones admitting to cocaine use just a smokescreen to distract people from the fact that he was using PEDs. It should be noted that Sonnen was busted for using PEDs during his MMA career.
Tyson has been training for his exhibition fight against Jones on Nov. 28. The 54-year-old appears to be in tremendous shape based on workout videos he has shared.
Mike Tyson has done many, many things throughout his life that he is not proud of, but cheating his way out of a drug test is not one of them.
During the latest episode of his “Hotboxin'” podcast, Tyson recalled the “awesome” time he passed a drug test using a prosthetic penis and his baby’s urine. The former heavyweight champion said he used his wife’s urine before but she brought up the possibility that it might come back as pregnant, so he decided to use his baby’s.
“I put my baby’s urine in it. And sometimes, one time I was using my wife’s and my wife was like ‘Baby you better not hope that it comes back pregnant or something,’” Tyson recalled, as transcribed by Ryan Harkness of MMA Mania. “And I said nah, so we ain’t gonna use you any more, we’re gonna use the kid. Cuz I got scared that the piss might come back pregnant.”
There have been incidents where athletes have been caught using a prosthetic penis — often referred to as a “Whizzinator” — to pass a drug test. That apparently wasn’t an issue with Tyson, who says the sample collector was intimidated by him.
“This guy was so f—ing macho, he was scared. I whipped it out and he was like turning, ‘Hey man take the f–ing cup,’” Tyson said. “This macho guy, he didn’t want to look at me and s—.”
Tyson has insisted he never used performance-enhancing drugs during his legendary career, though he did not specify which drug he was hiding. As Harkness noted, Iron Mike wrote in his book “Undisputed” in 2013 that he used the Whizzinator throughout his career to hide marijuana and cocaine use.
Tyson has been training for his exhibition fight against Roy Jones Jr. on Nov. 28. The 54-year-old appears to be in tremendous shape based on workout videos he has shared.
Mike Tyson is on the wrong side of 50 and has not had an official fight in more than 15 years, but physically he looks like he could make a run at the heavyweight championship.
Tyson is preparing for his Nov. 28 exhibition fight against Roy Jones Jr., and his return to the ring is being documented in a docuseries called “Frontline Battle.” Tyson shared a promo video for the show on his Instagram account this week. Let’s just say we hope Jones Jr. is expecting Iron Mike to be in peak physical shape, because he appears to be.
Tyson was once the most feared heavyweight boxer in the world, and you can see why. While he had put on some weight and looked out of shape during many of his recent acting appearances, he has clearly focused on getting back into fighting shape.
Jones shouldn’t let Tyson’s recent bizarre interview with a British program fool him — Iron Mike is ready to go.
Mike Tyson offered an explanation over Twitter Tuesday for his odd behavior during an interview on “Good Morning Britain.”
Tyson appeared to be very groggy and was slurring his words during his interview on the program. He even had his head down in between questions.
So what was going on? Tyson says the reason his interview did not go smoothly is because he was tired and sleepy. He says he tried to stay up late for the live interview but fell asleep. Once he falls asleep, he’s tough to wake up. He also says he forgot to look into the camera because he had no monitor.
That actually is a reasonable explanation and does seem to match what we saw. It looked like he got dragged out of a deep sleep about two minutes before being thrown on camera, and that was the result.
Once a feared heavyweight champion, Tyson is set to face Roy Jones Jr. on Nov. 28. Even though Tyson didn’t look so good in that interview, he actually looked like his old ferocious self in a recent training video.
Roy Jones Jr. is doing a great job of selling his upcoming fight with Mike Tyson.
Jones Jr. and Tyson are set to met in an unofficial fight on Nov. 28 in Carson, Calif. Jones Jr. boxed at middleweight and then spent most of his career as a light heavyweight. By contrast, Tyson is a natural heavyweight.
That power and size might be what concerns Jones Jr.
“He’s still Mike Tyson. He’s still one of the strongest, most explosive people who ever touched a boxing ring. If anything, I made a mistake going in with him. He’s the bigger guy. He’s the explosive guy,” Jones Jr. said in an interview with Sky Sports.
Both fighters were among the best in their weight class during their prime. Tyson was an absolute knockout artist and began his career 37-0 before a loss to Buster Douglas. He won by knockout in first 19 fights and 26 of his first 28. Jones Jr. wasn’t quite the knockout artist, but he was viewed as a dominant fighter and consistently ranked among the best pound-for-pound in the sport.
Iron Mike has already said he will be aiming for the knockout, which should give Jones Jr. a reason to worry.
Mike Tyson has more time to prepare for his fight against Roy Jones Jr. now that the bout has been postponed until November, and he is using some of that time to train with legends from other combat sports.
Tyson worked out with former WWE superstar Kurt Angle and former UFC champion Henry Cejudo on Saturday. Angle and Cejudo both shared photos of the trio from the session.
Angle and Cejudo are both former Olympians, while Tyson is one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time. The three have plenty in common.
Tyson and Jones Jr. were originally scheduled to face each other in an eight-round exhibition match on Sept. 12. The fight has since been pushed back to Nov. 28 in order to maximize revenue.
Jones fought as recently as 2018, while Tyson has not had a real fight since 2005. The extra training time should benefit the 54-year-old.
H/T Big Daddy
The exhibition boxing match between Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. has been postponed.
Tyson and Jones Jr. were originally set to face each other in an 8-round exhibition on Sept. 12.
However, the fight has been postponed and will now tentatively take place on Nov. 28, according to The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger.
The Ring reports that Tyson’s camp pushed for the postponement in order to maximize revenue and that Jones’ camp agreed.
The Ring says the fight is expected to take place at Dignity Health Park in Carson, Calif. without any fans. The fight is set to air on pay-per-view and the social media platform Triller.
The two sides still have a few issues to sort out, such as headgear and drug testing.
Tyson is now 54, while Jones is 51. Jones fought as recently as 2018, while Iron Mike hasn’t fought since 2005.
Now that Mike Tyson has officially come out of retirement for an exhibition match against Roy Jones Jr., current and former fighters are going to line up in hopes of having a chance to face one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. Kevin McBride, the last opponent Tyson faced in the ring during his career, is one of those who would love another shot.
McBride defeated Tyson by TKO on June 11, 2005, when Tyson quit on his stool before the seventh round. Iron Mike said after the fight that he only did it for the money and no longer had passion for the sport. In an interview with TMZ this week, McBride made it clear he would welcome another opportunity to go toe-to-toe with Tyson.
“After this fight with Roy Jones if he wants a rematch with me and someone puts up a couple million — I’m open to it if he gets a couple million or whoever gets a couple million,” McBride said. “I’ve got a couple of lovely kids and a lovely wife. I’d love to put my kids through college for free. … It would be a dream to fight him again.”
McBride said his boss at his current day job is a “boxing fanatic” and already said he’d give him time off to train and fight if Tyson is interested, so it’s obviously something McBride has been discussing in his personal life. When pressed further and asked if he’s serious about a potential rematch, the 47-year-old said he is not joking.
“My message to Mike is, ‘Let’s get it on!'” McBride said. “I’d definitely love to fight him again.”
A Tyson-McBride rematch almost certainly is not going to happen. If Tyson decides to keep going with his exhibition tour after fighting Jones next month, other legends who would draw a much bigger audience than McBride have already expressed interest. Still, you can’t blame McBride for trying to get himself back on Tyson’s radar.