Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. will square off in an exhibition bout next month, and fighters typically do not try to injure one another in situations like that. Not surprisingly, Tyson seems like he is treating the match like it’s another heavyweight title fight.
California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster told Yahoo Sports recently that Tyson and Jones will be wearing gloves that are larger than normal and not trying to “take each other’s heads off.”
“This isn’t a situation where they’re going out there to try to take each other’s heads off,” Foster said. “They’re just going to be in there moving around the ring and letting fans see these legends.”
Tyson, however, has a somewhat different mentality. Following a training session on Saturday, the former champion told TMZ he is not going to pass up a chance to knock Jones out.
“If the opportunity comes, I’m always looking for it,” Tyson said with a shrug. “This is search and destroy and I’m looking forward to recapturing my glory.”
Tyson is 54 and Jones is 51. Jones actually had a “real” fight in February 2018, when he defeated Scott Sigmon in a unanimous decision. Tyson’s last fight was in 2005.
If you’ve seen some of the terrifying workout videos Tyson has shared on social media, you know he isn’t taking his comeback lightly. Iron Mike didn’t knock out 44 opponents in his career by going easy on people. Exhibition or not, his mentality inside the ring will likely be the same.
Mike Tyson has been teasing for quite some time that he wants to make a boxing comeback, and there is apparently a set plan in place for that to become a reality.
Tyson will fight Roy Jones Jr. in an 8-round exhibition match on Sept. 12, according to a report from TMZ. The event, which has been titled “Frontline Battle” will be available on pay-per-view and the social media platform Triller. It will take place in California and be sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission.
Triller is a growing social media platform that is looking to compete with TikTok. TMZ reports that the network has also secured the rights to a 10-part documentary series leading up to the Tyson-Jones fight. The plan is for users to be able to stream two parts of the documentary each week leading up to the fight.
Tyson, 54, is three years older than Jones. Tyson’s last fight came in 2005, while Jones actually won a fight as recently as February of 2018. Jones is 66-9 in his career while Tyson is 50-6. Both fighters were previously heavyweight champions, and Jones also held titles in other weight classes.
Tyson has been fueling the comeback talk for a while with some terrifying workout videos he shared on social media. There was talk for a while that he could fight Evander Holyfield in a charity match, and it’s possible that could be the next fight in the works after Tyson-Jones.
Mike Tyson has been hinting around that he wants to make a boxing comeback, and the former heavyweight champion appears to have an official challenge from Jon Jones.
Jones has recently been at odds with the UFC and president Dana White over his and other fighters’ pay scales. Jones recently wanted to move up to the heavyweight division to fight Francis Ngannou, but he said UFC would not give him an increase in pay to take a more risky fight. White said Jones was looking for “Deontay Wilder money,” which is a reference to the boxer making more than $20 million for his fights. Jones fired back by saying he was not looking for that much but that UFC fighters have always been underpaid relative to the money pay-per-views generate.
Fast-forward to Friday night, when Tyson spoke with Charlie Mack about how UFC fighters will never make as much as top boxers despite UFC having higher ratings and more viewership. Tyson said Jones would have to fight him if the lightweight champ wants to make “super-money,” and Iron Mike did not seem like he was joking.
Jones is open to it, or so he says. The 32-year-old took to social media on Saturday to tell Tyson he is “listening.” Jones said he’s willing to fight Tyson in the boxing ring if Tyson will give him a “real fight in the octagon afterwords.” One follower suggested Jones give Dominick Reyes a rematch, but Jones replied that he wants real money and has been “beating no names for years.”
Conor McGregor fought Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a boxing match, so we know better than to rule anything out when hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line. A fight between Tyson and Jones would draw the same — if not more — attention.
While Tyson is 20 years older than Jones at age 53, he recently shared some terrifying workout videos that show he can still drop the hammer. Make it happen, Dana.
Mike Tyson is all over the place these days.
Not only has Iron Mike been making noise about a possible boxing comeback (likely a charity match), but he is also on the wrestling scene.
Tyson appeared on AEW’s “Double or Nothing” pay-per-view over the weekend. On Wednesday, he appeared on “Dynamite.” Tyson was flanked by MMA fighters Henry Cejudo, Rashad Evans and Vitor Belfort as he confronted Chris Jericho.
Iron Mike even ripped off his shirt:
Tyson is a great character for wrestling and perfect for a startup like AEW.
Tyson has a wrestling history and got into a feud with Stone Cold Steve Austin as a guest enforcer at WrestleMania XIV. Iron Mike was inducted into WWE Hall of Fame in 2012.
Evander Holyfield is open to a charity boxing match with Mike Tyson.
Both Tyson and Holyfield have been posting videos on social media that hint at boxing returns, and they seem to be building towards a fight with each other. Holyfield says he would do it so long as Tyson asks.
“If I ask him it’s almost like me being a bully saying I want to go against somebody I’ve beaten twice,” Holyfield told the BBC. “I don’t want pressure on me that ‘you just want to fight Mike because you know you can beat him’.”
On May 6, Holyfield even posted a message on Instagram saying he would be returning to the ring for a charity boxing match.
He has been posting several training videos on social media since then. Tyson has gone viral a few times for his training videos over the past month as well.
The two have quite a bit of history.
Holyfield beat Tyson via 11th-round TKO in 1996 to win the WBA heavyweight title at a time when the two were near the heights of their popularity. In the rematch less than a year later, Tyson was disqualified for notoriously biting a piece of Holyfield’s ear off.
Holyfield is 57 now and last fought professionally in 2011. Tyson is 53 and hasn’t fought since 2005.
There was talk back in 2008 about a possible third fight between them, though that did not materialize. But the two have seemingly been on good terms, with Tyson helping to promote business for Holyfield. It’s the least he could do, you know, after the whole ear thing.
It remains unlikely that Mike Tyson will make a professional boxing comeback at age 53, but the former heavyweight champ certainly looks like he could still hold his own in the ring.
Tyson said recently that he wants to train and get in shape for some potential charity exhibitions, and it appears he has been hard at work. On Monday, Iron Mike shared a highlight video on Instagram of some of his training moments. He still looks like a wrecking machine.
Tyson confidently said “I’m back” at the end of the video.
Tyson obviously wants to get back into the ring, but the extent of his comeback remains a mystery. Evander Holyfield also recently said he is making a comeback and told Sky Sports he would like to fight Tyson, so perhaps there is an exhibition match in the works.
While we know he has other talents like acting and starring in great Super Bowl commercials, we wouldn’t dare say Tyson would get knocked out if he climbed into the ring.
The big hit in Jacksonville before Thursday night’s Jaguars-Tennessee Titans game was not Gardner Minshew, but another famous athlete: Mike Tyson.
Tyson walked into TIAA Bank Field before the game wearing a teal No. 1 Jaguars jersey. He drew quite a crowd:
Tyson even filmed a video for the Jaguars and joked about trading his pet white tiger for a jaguar:
The former heavyweight champion boxer is now 53. He has been involved in several media projects in recent years, including acting in a one-man comedy show, writing books, appearing in movies, songs and commercials, and working for entertainment companies.
There is actually a pro football player in the league named Mike Tyson who played 10 games last season for Houston, but he is unrelated to the former champion boxer. When you have Iron Mike on your sideline, you’re guaranteed to put up a fight and come out swinging.
Few people in history were part of bigger pay-per-view spectacles than Mike Tyson, and even he thinks what happened at UFC 229 on Saturday night in Las Vegas was crazy.
Khabib Nurmagomedov beat Conor McGregor in their UFC lightweight championship fight with a choke in the fourth round. After McGregor tapped, Khabib climbed out of the cage and went after McGregor’s team, seemingly as revenge for their bus stunt in April.
While Khabib had created a major distraction outside the cage, a member of his team climbed into the cage and started taking cheap shots at a defenseless McGregor.
What did Tyson think about it? He called it crazier that his fight riot.
You may recall what happened during Tyson’s second fight with Evander Holyfield. The fight was stopped early after Tyson was disqualified for infamously biting off part of Holyfield’s ear. Things got wild in the crowd after the fight ended prematurely.
Tyson was part of another chaotic ending after his controversial win over Razor Ruddock in 1991.
You know things are really wild when Mike Tyson is calling out your behavior.
Boxing legend Mike Tyson was kind enough to take a moment on Tuesday night to congratulate the University of Cincinnati women’s basketball team on winning four championships in a row.
Yeah, you read that right.
As many of you know, the UConn women won yet another championship, capping an undefeated season with a blowout win over Syracuse. Tyson tried giving them a shoutout, but he botched it.
The former heavyweight champion deleted the message when he realized his mistake, but he didn’t bother sending another tweet.
Fortunately — or unfortunately — for Iron Mike, this is not the most embarrassing thing that has happened to him in the past several months. That painful mishap he had with a hoverboard (video here) still takes the cake.
Any man who is bold enough to date Mike Tyson’s daughter had better be ready to make out with Iron Mike.
That’s essentially what Tyson said in an appearance on “Conan” Wednesday night. After acknowledging that his daughters are “big time old enough to date,” the former heavyweight champ shared the warning he gives to his daughters’ boyfriends.
“Whatever you do to my daughter, I’m gonna do to you,” Tyson said. “You better make sure you’re pecking her on her lips or her cheek because if you give her the tongue, buddy, you better brush your teeth.”
We’re glad to see Tyson is feeling better after he took that brutal spill off a hoverboard earlier this month. I’d steer clear of his daughters unless you have the best intentions.