Canelo Alvarez is handsomely compensated by DAZN. We already knew that. He signed a $365 million deal with DAZN in 2018, though he received a release from the contract in 2020. He made at least $10 million in Saturday night’s fight against Avni Yildirim.
But what about Yildirim? The 29-year-old got pummeled by Alvarez and only lasted three rounds before quitting. So who much money did Avni make for his nine minutes of pain?
Boxing reporter Mike Coppinger says Yildirim earned $2.5 million for the fight, if you can believe that.
That’s a crazy amount of money to do very little against Alvarez. It makes you wonder why he even got that much.
There is a long list of people who would sign up to get paid that kind of money for that little work.
Next up for Canelo will be Billy Joe Saunders in May.
Canelo Alvarez cruised to victory over Avni Yildirim in their fight on Saturday night at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Fla.
Alvarez (55-1-2, 37 KOs) was an enormous favorite in the fight and showed why that was the case. He peppered Yildirim with ease throughout their nine minutes in the ring. He secured a knockdown in the third round with a right hand that landed flush on Yildirim’s face.
After being nailed like that, it’s no surprise that Yildirim did not answer the bell for the fourth round, giving Canelo the win.
The fight was never viewed as a challenge for Alvarez. Yildirim had mostly only fought in Europe. He came to the U.S. to face Anthony Dirrell in 2019 and lost. He suffered the same fate against Alvarez two years later.
Hopefully fans enjoyed Alvarez’s ring walkout, because they didn’t get much more than 10 minutes of excitement in the actual fight.
Oscar Valdez showed just how special of a fighter he is with a huge knockout of Miguel Berchelt on Saturday night.
Valdez was facing Berchelt for the WBC World Super Feather Title at The Bubble in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Just as the bell to end round 10 was ringing, Valdez dropped Berchlet with a monster left hook.
Take a look at this video:
Here is the ringside view from the other angle.
That was a huge knockout that completely stunned Berchelt. He was taken to the hospital after the knockout.
There was talk from some boxing reporters who felt Berchelt’s corner should have stopped the fight sooner, but they left the champ in long enough to let that happen.
Valdez is now 29-0, while Berchelt is 37-2.
Dana White is a self-proclaimed gambling degenerate, and he once experienced a 7-figure loss.
White joined ESPN’s “Daily Wager” program last week and talked about sports betting. White says he enjoys betting on sports because it makes the game more interesting and said he is happy that states are legalizing it.
The UFC boss also revealed that he lost $1 million betting on a boxing fight in 2007.
White was asked about a bet that still bothers him. He recalled when Jermain Taylor lost to Kelly Pavlik.
“I bet $1 million on Taylor, and he got destroyed,” White recalled. “It was the first time I ever bet $1 million dollars because I was so confident Taylor was going to win that fight.”
White really brought back some memories by invoking Taylor and Pavlik. And if you have the kind of money he has now, $1 million isn’t a huge sum the way it is for the rest of us. Sadly, many of us do have similar stories about money we’ve lost betting on sports events.
Jose Canseco has been accused of taking a dive in a pay-per-view fight that was hosted by Barstool Sports earlier this month, and West Virginia officials are looking into what exactly happened.
Canseco headlined the “Rough ‘N Rowdy” event with his fight against Bill Football, who is one of the characters on the popular “Pardon My Take” podcast. The bout lasted about 10 seconds, with Canseco going down for seemingly no reason. The former MLB star later saying he was trying to fight with a significant shoulder injury.
The chairman of the West Virginia state commission told PlayMichigan that the Canseco fight is being investigated. He also said the commission has not committed to sanctioning any future “Rough ‘N Rowdy” events.
Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy publicly accused Canseco of taking a dive. Portnoy also shared the details of the pay structure for the fight and said he was furious with how Canseco handled it. Canseco fired back by calling Portnoy a “liar & greasy salesman.”
This could be the last time we see Canseco taking part in a sanctioned fight. He also once no-showed a fight event and sent his brother in his place, so most people weren’t surprised by what happened at “Rough ‘N Rowdy.”
Jared Anderson absolutely destroyed Kingsley Ibeh in their heavyweight fight on Saturday night.
Anderson and Ibeh had a six-round fight scheduled at The Bubble at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. In the final round, Anderson knocked out Ibeh badly.
Here is another angle for the knockout.
Ibeh was around a minute away from taking the fight to a decision, but Anderson closed things out.
The 21-year-old from Toledo is now 8-0 with eight knockouts in his young career. Here’s hoping Ibeh is OK.
Manny Pacquiao recently teased some big news, and he is also targeting a big pay day.
The 42-year-old Filipino politician and boxer tweeted during the week that he has begun training for an upcoming fight.
Pacquiao has not yet named an opponent. Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr., Mikey Garcia and Ryan Garcia have been mentioned as possible opponents.
Pacquiao is targeting $40 million if he fights Crawford.
“We told Bob (Arum) I get $40 million and Crawford gets $10 million,” Pacquiao told The Daily Tribune in the Philippines.
Pacquiao last fought in the summer of 2019 and beat Keith Thurman, marking his third straight win. He is 62-7-2 with 39 KOs in his career.
Conor McGregor was trying to set up a boxing match with Pacquiao, but that plan fell through after McGregor lost to Dustin Poirier.
Floyd Mayweather ripped into Conor McGregor on Sunday after the UFC fighter lost to Dustin Poirier at UFC 257 on Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi.
Mayweather, who beat McGregor in a boxing match in 2017, posted on Instagram to mock McGregor. He also played the race card heavily in his post, which came in response to a questions asking why McGregor is loved and Mayweather hated.
“I seen this post and my take on it is that the world knows Con Artist McLoser can steal everything from me and be loved but I’m hated. That just lets you all know that racism still exist. Just know, that bum will never be me or be on my level. I’m just built different, my mindset is on another planet, my skills are second to none, I’m a natural born winner and yes I talk a lot of trash, but every time I back it up! This is what they hate. It’s sad that you can be a poor black kid from the ghetto that has dealt with racism your whole life and work extremely hard to put yourself and your family in a better position, and most of the hate come from my own people. Connor cannot even win in his own sport, but talking about coming back to boxing to fight Pacquiao. Nobody wants to see that, it’s like my leftovers eating leftovers,” Mayweather wrote.
There was talk about McGregor boxing Manny Pacquiao, which is what Mayweather was referring to in his post. Mayweather has beaten both men in a boxing match, which is why he said leftovers eating leftovers.
As for the contents of his post, Mayweather always likes keeping his name in the conversation for combat sports, which this accomplishes. A big difference between Mayweather and McGregor is that Conor has taken on tough opponents repeatedly, and not conditionally. Comparatively, Mayweather cherry-picked his opponents so he could maximize his earnings while minimizing his risks. When he did face his toughest opponents, it was either when they were too old (Pacquiao and Oscar De La Hoya) or too young (Canelo Alvarez). Fans recognize this difference and reward fighters with more love when they take on the toughest fights. Mayweather, meanwhile, is focusing on fighting YouTubers.
Lamar Odom is the latest celebrity to enter the world of celebrity boxing.
Odom announced on Thursday that he has signed with Celebrity Boxing. He made the announcement in a video and also shared a photo of himself in a fighting pose.
Odom is set to fight on June 12 at the Showboat Hotel in Atlantic City. He was asking for suggestions of celebrities to fight.
If they could line up someone from the Kardashian family, that would sell pretty well.
Celebrities fights may be a trend for the future after the Mike Tyson-Roy Jones Jr. fight sold pretty well along with the Nate Robinson-Jake Paul fight.
Odom, 41, played in the NBA from 1999-2013. He was a two-time NBA champion and former Sixth Man of the Year. He recently played in the Big 3 basketball league, though he got dropped in 2019.
Canelo Alvarez made easy work of Callum Smith in their fight at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas on Saturday night. Alvarez won via unanimous decision easily and dominated most of the way through.
Not only did the previously unbeaten Smith suffer his first professional loss, but he also suffered a nasty looking injury.
After the fight, DAZN showed Smith walking through a tunnel. The 30-year-old British fighter’s left arm was swollen terribly. Take a look at his left biceps and how swollen it was:
That is nasty. We have seen fighters who have had awful hematomas before, but seeing this on an arm was unusual. Smith told his corner during the fight that he thought something was wrong with his arm. There was speculation from his promoter that Smith may have displaced a biceps tendon.