Gennady Golovkin did not get his wish of facing Canelo Alvarez in September. Instead, he will be facing Sergiy Dervyanchenko.
GGG and Derevyanchenko finalized a deal to fight October 5 at Madison Square Garden in New York, The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger reports. Coppinger says there will be a press conference on Thursday to announce the deal.
GGG signed a 6-fight deal with streaming service DAZN in March that called for him to fight twice a year. He fought earlier this year against Steve Rolls and won easily. The next fight will fulfill his 2019 obligations to the service.
Although Golovkin facing Dervyanchenko is something, it’s not what DAZN wanted. Both the emerging service and Golovkin wanted a third fight with Canelo to take place, but Canelo’s promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, had no immediate interest in that.
Dervyanchenko is 13-1 with 10 KOs, but his lone loss came to Daniel Jacobs, whom Golovkin beat in 2017.
Canelo Alvarez shared comments on Friday about the International Boxing Federation’s decision to strip him of his middleweight title belt the day before.
Alvarez sent a tweet in both English and Spanish in which he said he was “ashamed” with his fans to have been unfairly stripped of his belt.
I'm very upset and ashamed with my fans, to be unfairly stripped of my belt by the IBF, but specially when i did not have the knowledge of the agreement that GBP match maker had signed.
— Canelo Alvarez (@Canelo) August 2, 2019
Alvarez had been in talks to try and defend his belt against mandatory contender Sergiy Derevyanchenko. The IBF even postponed their Monday deadline date to allow the sides a chance to negotiate, but no deal was reached.
DAZN, the streaming service that has Alvarez under contract, did not want to pay its full contractual $35 million price to Alvarez to fight a less attractive opponent. DAZN signed Gennady Golovkin to complete his trilogy against Canelo and wanted that fight to happen this fall. However, Alvarez’s promoter — Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions — did not want to make that fight.
De La Hoya blasted the IBF in a statement on Thursday over their decision.
“We are extremely disappointed at the IBF for forcing the world’s best fighter to relinquish his world title. We have been in serious negotiations with Sergiy Derevyanchenko’s promoter. We offered his team an unprecedented amount of money for a fighter of his limited stature and limited popularity, but the truth is that I’m now certain they never had any intention of making a deal. But instead they wanted to force us to relinquish Canelo’s belt. This is an insult to boxing and more importantly an insult to the boxing fans of the world. This decision validates already existing concerns about the credibility of the IBF championship. Canelo inherited a mandatory challenger by defeating Daniel Jacobs, the man who beat Derevyanchenko, so to strip him of his title without giving him enough time to make the best fight possible is truly what is wrong with boxing, and I plan to aggressively consider all legal actions possible.”
Alvarez, who held three title belts during his May fight against Jacobs, is now down to just one after the WBC made a change.
- Canelo Alvarez
Manny Pacquiao proved he is still capable of holding his own in the ring when he defeated Keith Thurman over the weekend, and that has resulted in a lot of talk about a potential rematch between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. With the way the two fighters have been going back and forth on social media, it’s fair to wonder if they are open to it.
In a lengthy post on Instagram Tuesday, Mayweather criticized people for bringing up his name every time something happens with Pacquiao. He said Pacquiao’s “entire legacy and career has been built off its association with my name” and that it is time for people to stop using his name as “clickbait” for Pac-Man.
View this post on Instagram
I find it real ironic how every time Pacquiao's name is brought up in the media, my name is always attached to it. This man's entire legacy and career has been built off its association with my name and it's about time you all stop using my brand for clout chasing and clickbait and let that man's name hold weight of its own. For years, all you heard was that " Floyd is afraid of Manny Pacquiao". But what's funny is, when we finally fought, I won so easily that everyone had to eat their words! All of the so called boxing experts, critics and jealous American "fan base" either went mute and ran for cover or made every excuse in the world as to why I should give Manny Pacquiao a rematch. My take on all this bullshit is that y’all are just upset that I broke Rocky Marciano's record and hate the fact that a Black, high school dropout outsmarted you all by beating all odds and retiring undefeated while maintaining all my faculties simply by making smart choices and even smarter investments. Ultimately, I will always have the last laugh!
A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on
Not surprisingly, Pacquiao disagrees. He fired back at Mayweather on social media, pointing out that Floyd attended his fight against Thurman and essentially saying he should give him a rematch if he’s so desperate to be relevant again.
— Manny Pacquiao (@MannyPacquiao) July 24, 2019
Mayweather had a response for that, of course. He took to Instagram again and said he only attended the fight because Pacquiao is his “employee” and he had to supervise. He also mocked Pac-Man for making the same amount of money against Thurman that Mayweather made recently for a meaningless exhibition fight.
View this post on Instagram
SWIPE LEFT Let's stick to the facts! Bob Arum is no longer your promoter, so when it comes to @mayweatherpromotions & PBC events I’m the HNIC! Bottom line, I make more money than you; I beat you, then I signed you! I was only at your fight supervising you, my employee, as any real BOSS would do. You made $10Million for 12 rounds, when I just made $9M in under 3 minutes playing around in an exhibition with a pizza delivery guy! I beat you mentally, physically and financially! Remember, you fight cause you have to, I fight when I want to! #TMT #TBE #mayweatherpromotions @greg_tmt
A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on
Whether you like Mayweather or not, there’s no debating he is an excellent promoter. Most of what he does is calculated, so it’s certainly possible he could be trying to gauge how much interest there is in a potential Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch. There have been strong hints for quite some time that a rematch could be coming, and there’s no question is would result in an astronomical payday for both fighters. That is something that might be tough for Floyd to turn down.
Maxim Dadashev’s tragic death rocked the boxing world on Tuesday, but one man who can’t take any blame is trainer Buddy McGirt.
Dadashev was struggling heavily in what ultimately turned into a loss to Subriel Matias on Friday. After 11 rounds, McGirt intervened and stopped the fight against Dadashev’s wishes. Later that night, Dadashev was diagnosed with a subdural hematoma. Emergency surgery and a medically-induced coma were not enough to save his life.
The reality of what happened makes the video of McGirt urging Dadashev to let him stop the fight all the more difficult to watch.
This video of Buddy McGirt urging Maxim Dadashev to stop fighting was hard to watch Friday, it’s even harder now. Heart-breaking. pic.twitter.com/BNjsdpJfle
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) July 23, 2019
After the fight ended, McGirt defended his decision, stating that he was willing to take the risk of his fighter being mad at him for a day or two instead of putting him at further risk physically.
"God forbid… one punch as you know can change a whole guy's life and I wasn't going to let that happen– so, I'd rather have them be mad at me for a day or two then to be mad at me for the rest of their life."
-Buddy McGirt on stopping the fight for Maxim Dadashev. pic.twitter.com/RINM4D83ZZ
— Jorge Hernández (@JorgeDeBurque) July 20, 2019
In this case, there were no obvious signs of traumatic injury, and McGirt made the right calls when he needed to make them. Tragically, it still wasn’t enough to save Dadashev’s life.
- Filed Under:
Manny Pacquiao proved on Saturday night that he is still capable of holding his own in the ring despite being on the wrong side of 40, and he has issued a statement thanking everyone who gave him a chance to show that.
Pacquiao took to Twitter on Monday to thank his opponent Keith Thurman, his fans, family, and all of the others who helped put the fight together.
To the fans I fight for, the media who cover me, the friends and family who support me, and to @KeithFThurmanJr, who accepted my challenge, Saturday night was an honor and privilege. I would also like to thank @premierboxing, @FOXSports, & @MGMGrand for a great event. God Bless. pic.twitter.com/yM91F5mnE4
— Manny Pacquiao (@MannyPacquiao) July 22, 2019
Pacquiao won a split decision over Thurman, who was undefeated before Pac-Man beat him. Pacquiao showed he still has much of the speed, movement, and punching activity he became known for throughout his career, and he also landed some pretty big shots on Thurman.
Thurman sent a perfect tweet of his own and had nothing but good things to say about Pacquiao after the fight, so there’s clearly a great deal of mutual respect between the two. The win improved Pac-Man’s record to 62-7-2. Thurman is now 29-1.
- Manny Pacquiao
Manny Pacquiao defeated Keith Thurman on Saturday night in a split decision, and the previously undefeated Thurman apparently agreed with the two judges who scored in Pac Man’s favor.
Pacquiao won the fight after two judges scored the fight 115-112 in his favor, while Glenn Feldman scored it 114-113 for Thurman. Following the bout, Thurman sent a classy tweet about how his perfect 29-0 record deserved to fall.
I’ve always said I’m not afraid to let my 0 go, if you can beat me — beat me. @MannyPacquiao beat me tonight. Hats off to the Senator on a great performance. #OneTime #PacThurman pic.twitter.com/piX4A6lUOA
— Keith Thurman Jr. (@keithfthurmanjr) July 21, 2019
Thurman also showed a great deal of class while praising Pacquiao in his post-fight interview.
— David Kano (@TheDKano) July 21, 2019
It’s not uncommon for fighters to complain about how they were robbed after a split decision, so you have to give Thurman credit for the way he handled it. Pacquiao, who is now 40, landed some big shots on Thurman and proved he still has plenty left despite even his own trainer thinking he should retire at one point. Thurman didn’t want to take anything away from him.
Manny Pacquiao proved that he can continue to win despite his age as he beat Keith Thurman in a split decision on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Pac-Man received the nod after two judges scored the fight 115-112 in his favor. Glenn Feldman scored it 114-113 for Thurman. The two judges who scored the fight for Pacquiao had him winning seven rounds to five. That would ordinarily result in a 115-113 score, but Thurman was deducted a point for being knocked down in the first round. Feldman had it seven rounds to five for Thurman, minus the point deduction for the knockdown.
Even at the age of 40, Pacquiao showcased some of the speed, movement, and punching activity he became known for throughout his career. He caught Thurman in the face with a stiff right hand towards the end of the first round that dropped Thurman to the canvas. The punched that knocked Thurman down came after a big body shot. The Filipino did more damage with a body shot later in the fight.
Pacquiao seemed to hurt Thurman in the 10th with a big shot to the body:
Here's the body shotpic.twitter.com/mIDhkkTnvT
— MyBookie Sportsbook (@betmybookie) July 21, 2019
Pacquiao was active throughout the fight and threw nearly 100 more punches than Thurman, according to FOX’s post-fight statistics. FOX did have Thurman landing more punches.
Pac-Man improves 62-7-2 (39 KOs) in his career and captured the WBA super welterweight championship belt. He has won three straight fights since a controversial decision loss to Jeff Horn in 2017. Each of Pacquiao’s last two wins have come via decision.
The loss marked the first of Thurman’s career. The 30-year-old was 29-0 entering the fight.
The victory is highly significant for Pacquiao. Some detractors said in 2012 that Pacquiao had lost his best ability following consecutive defeats to Timothy Bradley Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez, the latter coming in a brutal knockout. Pacquiao lost two more times after that, falling to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in one of the most disappointing fights of the decade, and later to Horn. Pacquiao’s trainer, Freddie Roach, even said in 2017 he was thinking of telling Pacquiao to retire. But the Filipino fighter has been defiant, insisting he has several good years of fighting left. Being able to defeat an opponent in his prime the way Pacquiao did shows he is still very much a contender at the 147 pound weight limit.