pixel 1
header
Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Boxing

Canelo Alvarez-Sergey Kovalev fight started after 90 minute delay due to UFC

Canelo Alvarez

Those who wanted to watch the fight between Canelo Alvarez and Sergey Kovalev at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night had to wait past 1:00 am ET due to competition on the fight night.

DAZN and Golden Boy Promotions decided to schedule the Alvarez-Kovalev fight card for the same night as UFC 244, which was already a pretty silly move. Despite the conflict, DAZN and Golden Boy recognized how popular the main event at UFC 244 headlined by Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal was, so they decided to hold off on starting the Canelo fight until after the MMA fight finished. The result was a lengthy wait between fights.

Ryan Garcia fought Romero Duno on the undercard just before the Canelo fight and won via first-round knockout. That fight was expected to go longer, but it ended a few minutes after 8:30 pm PT in Las Vegas. Since the fight ended so early, fans waited over 90 minutes before the Canelo fight to begin as the UFC card played out.

Canelo and Kovalev were literally waiting around on couches for an hour.

Beyond just the wait, three different national anthems played, which extended the wait time until the fight. The bout did not finally begin until around 10:15 pm PT.

Earlier in the day, UFC boss Dana White mocked “dummy” Oscar De La Hoya for the poor scheduling:

After seeing such a late start time for the fight, it’s hard to disagree with White.

Watch: Evander Holyfield’s son Evan crushes opponent in pro boxing debut

Evan Holyfield

There’s a new Holyfield in boxing who is knockout out opponents.

Evan Holyfield, one of former heavyweight champion Evander’s sons, made his pro boxing debut on Saturday night in a fight on the Canelo Alvarez-Sergey Kovalev undercard at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Evan was facing Nick Winstead and ended the fight in seconds:

If the goal was to build some hype for Holyfield, the plan worked. The 21-year-old looked great and is now 1-0 with a first-minute knockout win. Of course, any questions about the legitimacy of Winstead (0-2) and the quick stoppage are fair.

Winstead really was not given much of a chance. Sure, he looked completely overwhelmed at first, but he wasn’t given a shot beyond the knockdown. Regardless, we’re excited to see Holyfield begin his career.

Oscar De La Hoya denies accusations of sexual assault

Oscar de la Hoya

Boxing Hall of Famer, Oscar De La Hoya, has been accused of sexual assault by an unidentified San Bernardino, California woman who filed an October 17 lawsuit in the California Superior Court for Los Angeles County.

Greg Kirakosian, the attorney who represents “Jane Doe,” submitted the 10-page lawsuit, which claims De La Hoya became aggressive after the unnamed woman had refused a specific sexual act after a night that had, up until that point, been completely consensual.

“To date, Plaintiff continues to suffer from extreme distress, humiliation, indignation and outrage as a result of De La Hoya’s conduct,” the lawsuit said, via ESPN. “As a result of said distress, Plaintiff has suffered and continues to suffer constant and daily symptoms of depression, anxiety, and related symptoms associated with post-traumatic stress disorder.”

The lawsuit also claimed that De La Hoya “overpowered” the woman who later “screamed in pain” and left “in extreme shock and pain.” She sought care at a local Urgent Care and was allegedly prescribed medication for “extreme swelling and pain.”

The 46-year-old De La Hoya, who serves as the Golden Boy Promotions CEO, denied the allegations in a statement released by his representatives.

“A frivolous lawsuit was filed recently alleging that Oscar De La Hoya sexually assaulted ‘Jane Doe,’ which is completely false,” the statement from his spokesman read. “Oscar is a very successful businessman, running one of the country’s leading sports and entertainment companies — thus a prime target. It is worth noting that both recent lawsuits have been filed by the same attorney who is looking to make a name for himself. We vehemently deny these allegations and look forward to vigorously defending Oscar’s good name and reputation.”

The second lawsuit referenced, which was also filed in California Superior Court for Los Angeles County in early October, alleges that De La Hoya forced former Golden Boy Promotions employee, David “Tattoo” Gonzalez, to perform non-work-related personal errands.

Gonzalez also made allegations of neglect, emotional distress and non-payment.

‘Savage’ Errol Spence Jr. charged with DWI for Ferrari crash

Errol Spence Jr.

The good news is Errol Spence Jr. survived his scary car crash. The bad news is he still has to face charges over it.

Dallas police said in a statement on Tuesday that Spence has been “charged with DWI, misdemeanor B. Mr. Spence has been released from the hospital and will need to address those charges. As for getting a speed of the vehicle, we will not be getting one.”

Spence, 29, was hospitalized after flipping his Ferrari multiple times while driving in Dallas early Thursday morning on October 10. Even though video showed his car flipping at a high speed, Spence did not suffer any broken bones or fractures.

Spence posted an update to his Instagram story on Wednesday night in which he called himself a “savage” for not suffering any broken bones.

He quickly deleted the posting.

Spence (26-0, 21 KOs) beat Shawn Porter at Staples Center in Los Angeles in late September to retain his IBF welterweight title and win Porter’s WBC welterweight belt.

Errol Spence Jr. in stable condition, expected to make full recovery after Ferrari crash

Errol Spence Jr.

Errol Spence Jr.’s condition has been upgraded after the champion boxer was injured in a car crash on Thursday morning.

Spence’s publicity company sent out a statement later on Thursday to Larry Brown Sports and other outlets to say that the boxer is now in stable condition, an upgrade after he was in serious condition after the crash. Spence is expected to make a full recovery.

“Errol Spence Jr., IBF/WBC unified welterweight world champion, was involved in a serious, single-car accident in Dallas early Thursday morning and is being treated at a Dallas-area hospital. Spence is awake and responding and his condition is listed as stable. He did not sustain any broken bones or fractures, but has some facial lacerations. He is expected to make a full recovery,” the statement said.

“He is currently resting with his family by his side. They want to thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes and are extremely grateful to the Dallas first responders who rushed to the scene to attend to Errol after the accident and the doctors who are taking care of him at the hospital.”

The 29-year-old boxer flipped his Ferrari in a rollover crash around 3:00 a.m. in Dallas.

Video shows Spence’s vehicle flipping over and rolling multiple times:

After watching that, it’s pretty incredible that the unbeaten boxer did not suffer any broken bones.

Spence (26-0, 21 KOs) beat Shawn Porter at Staples Center in Los Angeles two weeks ago to retain his IBF welterweight title and win Porter’s WBC welterweight belt.

Errol Spence Jr hospitalized after car crash, was reportedly ejected from Ferrari

Errol Spence Cowboys

Professional boxer Errol Spence Jr was involved in a serious car crash in Dallas early Thursday morning, but fortunately he is expected to survive.

Madison Sawyer of CBS DFW first reported that a “high-profile person” was involved in a rollover crash at around 3 a.m. on Riverfront Drive in Dallas. It was later determined that the victim, who was taken to Methodist Hospital and is in serious condition, is Spence. The 29-year-old was ejected from his Ferrari.

The report was later confirmed by other news outlets:

The extent of Spence’s injuries is unclear, but it is a positive sign that doctors expect him to survive given the terrifying details of the crash.

Spence is a perfect 26-0 in his pro boxing career. He won the WBC welterweight title and retained the IBF welterweight title in a unification fight against Shawn Porter back in September. Spence won by split decision. There had been rumblings that he could be headed for the most high-profile fight of his career in the near future, but his health is obviously most important at the moment.

GGG upset about being booed after narrow decision win

Gennady Golovkin

Gennady Golovkin did not put on his best performance in a narrow win over Sergiy Derevyanchenko, and the 37-year-old from Kazakhstan was bothered by the negative fan reception after the fight.

Golovkin won a unanimous decision over Derevyanchenko, receiving scores of 115-112 from two judges and 114-113 from another. Judge Kevin Morgan actually scored it six rounds to six, but Golovkin got one extra point thanks to a 10-8 round in the first from a knockdown.

Golovkin was booed by the fans at Madison Square Garden after the fight and had a hard time conducting his postfight interview on DAZN as a result.

Golovkin seemed to feel the fans were not giving Derevyanchenko enough credit for being a tough opponent.

GGG is now 40-1-1 (35 KOs), while Derevyanchenko is 13-2. The win opens a path for a third fight between GGG and Canelo Alvarez. Canelo fights Sergey Kovalev in November.