pixel 1
header
Saturday, October 21, 2017

Boxing

Muhammad Ali’s company suing FOX for $30 million over Super Bowl tribute

Super Bowl LI ball

Muhammad Ali passed away eight months before Super Bowl LI between the New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons was played, and FOX decided to pay tribute to the boxing legend before the big game with a promotional video. That decision could end up costing the network millions.

Ali’s company, Muhammad Ali enterprises, is suing the Fox Broadcasting Company for $30 million for using Ali’s likeness in the promo, which ran on Feb. 3. Deadline obtained a copy of the complaint that was filed in an Illinois court.

“MAE brings these claims for false endorsement and violation of the right of publicity against Fox for the damages caused and profits unjustly gained by Fox for its unauthorized use of Muhammad Ali’s identity,” the complaint reads. “The video uses Ali to define greatness and ultimately to compare the NFL legends to Ali and thus to define them and the Super Bowl as ‘greatness’ too.”

You can see the promo here, though it could soon be taken down by FOX.

The lawsuit states that a $30 million figure was decided upon because that is roughly how much money FOX could have made if it sold the three minutes of air time to other advertisers.

Ali died in June 2016. His daughter, Hana Ali, shared an incredible story of the final moments of the former heavyweight champion’s life.

Report: Floyd Mayweather pays off $22 million tax lien

Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather Jr has put some of his earnings from the Conor McGregor fight to good use.

According to The Blast, Mayweather has paid off his $22.2 million tax lien using his McGregor earnings.

Reports this summer said federal tax liens filed in April showed Mayweather owed $22.2 million in back taxes for 2015. Mayweather in July filed for a temporary reprieve because he was set to make hundreds of millions in August after his fight with McGregor.

The Blast says a release was filed by the government last month.

Mayweather has dealt with previous issues with the IRS in the past. McGregor even recently said he thought Mayweather’s spending habits would result in the boxer needing to fight him again to make more money.

Though Mayweather used a chunk of his money to pay off his debt to the IRS, he also used some of it for pleasure, as he also recently bought a $26 million mansion in Beverly Hills.

Conor McGregor thinks Mayweather will need to fight him again due to spending habits

Floyd Mayweather Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor thinks he could end up facing Floyd Mayweather in the ring again.

McGregor held a Q&A at a fan event in Glasgow, Scotland on Friday and spoke about his future. The Irishman was his typical cocky self, saying that he thought he could beat Mayweather in a boxing rematch.

McGregor said he thinks the fight could happen again because he believes Floyd would need the money due to his spending habits and alleged tax problems.

Keep in mind that Mayweather is now claiming to be a billionaire, so McGregor’s comments might not be too accurate.

McGregor also said he is open to fighting in the UFC this year, though Dana White says that won’t happen until 2018. McGregor said a fight with Georges St-Pierre would be a money fight, but the issue is he thinks Michael Bisping will beat GSP first. Maybe a fight with Nate Diaz in 2018 will be next on the agenda for McGregor.

Floyd Mayweather shows off sick movie theater in new mansion

Floyd Mayweather money

Floyd Mayweather has been showing off his new mansion on social media this week, and the casa is impressive.

The famous boxer purchased a mansion in Beverly Hills for $26 million, TMZ reported last week. The home has six bedrooms, 10 bathrooms and features a guest house and swimming pool.

One of the coolest parts of the home is the incredible movie theater. Mayweather showed it off in a video posted on Instagram this week. He says it comfortably seats about 50 — and appears to be stocked with enough candy for that many too:

Grabbing a few snacks before watching Sportscenter in my Beverly Hills Palace movie theatre, that comfortably seats 50 people.

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on

He also has a wine cellar:

(more…)

Canelo Alvarez, Gennady Golovkin to discuss rematch

Canelo GGG

The second chapter of Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin could be in the works.

Representatives for both fighters are planning to discuss a rematch this week, according to ESPN’s Dan Rafael.

Alvarez and GGG met on Saturday night in Las Vegas and fought to a draw in what was one of the most anticipated fights in years. The controversy to emerge from the fight was an issue with one of the judge’s scorecards. Most felt the fight was pretty close, and that Golovkin had the edge.

Alvarez, who is the more popular fighter, has the right to a rematch. The two sides reportedly have three weeks to exercise the rematch clause.

Canelo has become a star in the boxing world — especially within his home country of Mexico. The most popular Mexican fighters tend to schedule their bouts for Cinco de Mayo weekend and Mexican Independence Day, which happen in early May and the middle of September, respectively. That means that if a rematch were to happen, it likely would be held around Cinco de Mayo next year.

Report: Judge Adalaide Byrd could be removed from UFC 216

Canelo GGG

Judge Adalaide Byrd’s immediate future is in question after she turned in a scorecard for the Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin fight Saturday night that was highly criticized.

Alvarez and Golovkin fought to a draw in their superfight. One judge scored it 115-113 for Golovkin; another had it 114-114; and Byrd scored it 118-110 for Alvarez. Her scorecard suggested she saw Alvarez win the fight easily. Most people who watched it felt it was a close fight, with many thinking GGG had the edge. Social media was not kind to Byrd after the fight as these tweets show, and now it sounds like the Nevada Athletic Commission may take action.

The Irish Independent reports that NAC executive director Bob Bennett said he would give Byrd a “small break.”

“I’m not going to put her right back in,” Bennett reportedly told the Independent. “She’ll still be in the business, but she needs to catch her breath.”

On top of that, CBS Las Vegas reporter Chris Maathuis said Byrd had been removed from the UFC 216 fight card she was set to judge on Oct. 7 in Las Vegas.

Bennett may have been getting ahead of himself in his comments to the Irish Independent, because he later told MMA Fighting that they will decide Byrd’s fate over the next week. It could be that news about Byrd leaked out quicker than the commission was ready for, leading them to ask for patience in an announcement.

Manny Pacquiao had perfect joke after Canelo Alvarez-GGG draw

Manny Pacquiao

Credit Manny Pacquiao for being Johnny-on-the-spot with the best joke after the Canelo Alvarez-GGG fight.

Canelo-Golovkin was ruled a draw on Saturday night in Las Vegas. One judge had it 115-113 for GGG, another had it 114-114, while a third judge somehow scored it 118-110 for Alvarez, leading to great criticism for her.

The bogus scoring led Pacquiao to tweet this:

Pacquiao is quite familiar with poor judging. He was the victim of a horrible decision in July when he lost to Jeff Horn while fighting the Australian in Brisbane in what many felt was a case of home cooking. He can most certainly relate to what happened in Vegas.

Page 1 of 13512345...