Antonio Brown has had numerous legal issues in recent years, but the star wide receiver put one of them in the rearview on Tuesday.
Brown’s attorney, Sean Burstyn, said in a statement that the seven-time Pro Bowler has completed his probation that stemmed from an incident in which he allegedly attacked a moving truck driver. The probation was completed a full year ahead of schedule:
Brown was arrested last year after he and his trainer were accused of attacking a moving truck driver at Brown’s home in Hollywood, Calif. Brown was arrested and pleaded no contest to a felony battery charge a year ago. The driver, Anton Tumanov, claims he was moving Brown’s belongings from California to Florida last year when he was “met with resistance and violence.” Brown and his trainer allegedly became violent with Tumanov over a payment issue. You can read more details from the incident here.
Tumanov filed a lawsuit against Brown last month. The suit is still pending.
Brown, 32, caught 45 passes for 483 yards and four touchdowns with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season. He recently re-signed with the team on a one-year deal.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are downplaying concerns about the health of Antonio Brown with the wide receiver’s deal on hold.
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the wide receiver underwent a successful knee surgery on Tuesday that was described as a routine clean-up procedure. However, the Buccaneers still will not make Brown’s new deal with the team official until he can pass a physical.
Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht clarified to JoeBucsFan.com’s Ira Kaufman that the team has no real worries about Brown’s health, and that he’s expected to sign his contract next week.
“No, not concerned. The plan all along is to have him come in — I think he is coming in Monday to sign,” Licht said.
Brown’s new deal with the team was reported almost a month ago, so it definitely raises some eyebrows that he has yet to officially sign. Assuming the knee situation is really all there is to it, it’s unlikely to be a huge deal. Until the team makes the deal official, however, questions are going to linger about the wide receiver’s health.
Antonio Brown was suspended for the first eight games of the 2020 season due to multiple off-field incidents, and the veteran receiver is now facing a civil lawsuit related to one of them.
Accoridng to Broward County court documents obtained by Matt Baker of the Tampa Bay Times, Brown has been sued by a moving truck driver who was allegedly attacked by Brown and Brown’s trainer early last year. The driver, Anton Tumanov, claims in the suit that he was moving Brown’s belongings from California to Hollywood, Fla., last year when he was “met with resistance and violence.”
Tumanov said Brown and Brown’s trainer, Glenn Holt, attacked his vehicle and broke the key” before they “proceeded to verbally and physically attack him, causing severe personal injuries.” The driver says he “continues to suffer severe bodily injuries, pecuniary losses, and mental anguish” as a result of the incident.
Holt and Brown are accused of assault and battery. Tumanov is seeking more than $30,000 in damages.
Police were called to Brown’s Hollywood home in January 2020 after he was accused of attacking a moving truck driver over a payment issue. You can read more details from the incident here.
Brown was arrested not long after the incident and pleaded no contest to a felony battery charge last June. The 32-year-old avoided jail time and was given two years of probation, 100 hours of community service and a psych evaluation.
Brown is unlikely to face further discipline from the NFL, as the moving truck incident was part of the reason he was suspended last season.
Brown caught 45 passes for 483 yards and four touchdowns with the Bucs last season. He recently re-signed with the team on a one-year deal.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers continue to prove that they are committed to bringing back as much of their Super Bowl champion roster as possible, and Antonio Brown is the latest beneficiary of that.
Brown’s agent announced on Wednesday morning that the wide receiver has re-signed with the Bucs on a one-year deal that could be worth up to $6.25 million.
The timing probably is not a coincidence. Brown recently reached a settlement with his former trainer Britney Taylor, who had accused the seven-time Pro Bowler of rape. That likely made the Bucs more comfortable with the situation, though the case is still being reviewed by the NFL.
Brown could still be suspended under the NFL’s personal conduct policy. He served an eight-game suspension last year under the same policy, but he has had several other off-field issues.
Brown caught 45 passes for 483 yards and four touchdowns with the Bucs last season. He’s good friends with Tom Brady, which one of the main reasons he landed in Tampa Bay to begin with.
While legal proceedings relating to a sexual assault allegation against Antonio Brown are over, he could still face further punishment from the NFL.
The NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy applies to players even when they are not ultimately charged or facing legal jeopardy. In other words, the league can continue to investigate Brown even though Britney Taylor’s case against him was settled on Wednesday.
An NFL spokesperson told Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk the case “remains under review” by the league. That review commenced in 2019, when the sexual assault lawsuit was originally filed against Brown.
Brown served an eight-game suspension last year under the same policy. However, that related to several other off-field issues. At the time, the investigation into Taylor’s allegations was left open, with the possibility of further punishment depending on that outcome. Now that the two sides have settled, the NFL should be able to progress toward a resolution there.
Antonio Brown’s decision to settle with one of the women who accused him of sexual assault seems to have helped his chances of returning to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Brown on Wednesday announced a settlement with his former trainer Britney Taylor, who had accused him of multiple instances of sexual assault. When asked about the settlement, Buccaneers GM Jason Licht noted that the team signed Brown despite the looming civil case last season, and added that it would not have been a decisive factor on whether to bring Brown back.
However, Licht did add that Brown’s decision to settle would only help his chances of returning.
Brown has openly campaigned for a return to the Buccaneers, so this will come as welcome news to him. The 32-year-old receiver also caught four touchdowns last season, as well as one in the Super Bowl, so he’s shown he can contribute.
One question is whether the settlement could make other teams more open to signing Brown, which might come as welcome news to one quarterback.
Antonio Brown has reached a settlement with one of the women who accused him of sexual assault.
Brown’s representative Alana Burstyn issued a statement on Wednesday announcing that the free agent wide receiver has resolved his dispute with Britney Taylor, his former trainer and friend. Burstyn said in the release that Brown and Taylor have been friends for more than a decade and that they reflected on their relationship and feel it is time to move forward. Burstyn says Taylor is pleased that Brown won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and that the two “wish each other great continued success.”
You can read the full release below:
It’s unclear if there was a financial settlement, but we do know that Brown was ordered by a judge to pay Taylor $100,000 earlier this year. That ruling came after Brown violated a confidentiality agreement that he and Taylor entered into shortly after Taylor filed a lawsuit against Brown in 2019 accusing him of sexual assault.
Taylor accused Brown of sexually assaulting her on multiple occasions. The allegations against the Pro Bowl receiver were extremely troubling. You can see a summary of them here.
The allegations from Taylor factored into Brown’s eight-game suspension at the start of the 2020 NFL season. He has also faced sexual misconduct allegations from a second woman.
Brown caught 45 passes for 483 yards and four touchdowns with the Bucs last season. He remains a free agent but recently made it clear that he wants to return to Tampa.
Antonio Brown is still without a team, and it sounds like he wants to return to the team he finished last season with.
On Monday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers posted an image on Instagram celebrating the fact that the organization will return all 22 of its Super Bowl starters on offense and defense. That list did not include Antonio Brown, who was officially a reserve in the game but caught five passes for 22 yards, including a touchdown.
Brown took note of the post on his own Instagram, and used the comments to urge the Buccaneers to bring him back.
It’s no shock that Brown would want to return to Tampa. He clearly loves playing with Tom Brady, and they’ll be Super Bowl contenders after getting Brown a ring last season.
Brown does have other quarterbacks who want to play with him, but it seems pretty clear that Tampa Bay is his first choice.
Russell Wilson appears to be suggesting another addition the Seattle Seahawks could make in order to make him happier.
710 ESPN Seattle’s John Clayton recently told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh that Wilson is pushing Seahawks management to sign free agent wide receiver Antonio Brown, who spent 2020 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
This isn’t new on Wilson’s part. He was apparently pushing for Seattle to do the same last offseason, but they opted against it as Brown’s off-field troubles mounted. It ended up being Tom Brady’s influence that led Brown to the Buccaneers, where he caught four touchdowns in the regular season and two more in the playoffs.
Of course, Wilson’s request now comes with the backdrop of his dissatisfaction with the organization. The team has made moves that should make him happy, but it’s entirely possible he wants to see more.
Antonio Brown has apparently shown the Tampa Bay Buccaneers enough that they’d like to keep him around for another season.
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com, the Buccaneers want to keep Brown for 2021. The team signed him in October to a one-year deal, and he is slated to be an unrestricted free agent when the season ends.
Keeping Brown would certainly make sense for the Buccaneers. Fellow receiver Chris Godwin is set to become a free agent as well. Between that and the fact that Mike Evans has dealt with some injuries in 2020, keeping Brown would work as a valuable insurance policy and possibly then some.
Perhaps most importantly, quarterback Tom Brady is a big fan of Brown and is essentially the reason the Buccaneers took a chance on the wide receiver. Brown has been able to stay out of trouble since signing, which probably makes the decision easier as well.
The 32-year-old wide receiver caught 45 passes during the regular season, racking up 483 yards and four receiving touchdowns.