pixel 1
header
Monday, June 24, 2019

Football

Ex-NFL player Carlos Rogers is not the person suing Rodney Peete

Rodney Peete is being sued by a man named Carlos Rogers, but it’s not the former NFL player who’s suing him.

TMZ Sports reported on Friday that Peete, a former longtime NFL quarterback and All-American at USC, was being sued by Carlos Rogers for $350,000, plus $100,000 in damages. Rogers alleges in the suit that Peete approached him to invest in a group aimed at keeping the Raiders in Northern California. Back in 2016, we shared that Peete was part of a group including Ronnie Lott working to keep the Raiders in Oakland. Peete allegedly promised Rogers as part of the deal that he would get his money back if the team moved to Las Vegas, which they are doing. Rogers is suing on grounds on fraud, saying he has never been paid back by Peete, though terms of their agreement call for that.

While the information in the lawsuit is accurate, TMZ got their Carlos Rogers wrong. The Rogers who played at Auburn and was drafted No. 9 overall by Washington in 2005 told NBC Sports Bay Area’s Scott Bair that he’s not suing anybody, never invested in anything related to the Raiders’ stadium, and doesn’t know who Peete is.

Instead, a different man named Carlos Rogers says he’s the one who’s suing Peete.

This Rogers claims on his website to have made millions in marketing and bills himself as a “Successful Real Estate & Business Investor.”

So to recap: Rodney Peete is being sued by a man named Carlos Rogers over a Raiders-related investment, but it’s not by the former Pro Bowl cornerback.

Drew Brees awarded $6.1 million in damages for lawsuit against jeweler

Drew Brees

Drew Brees was awarded $6.1 million in damages by a San Diego Superior Court on Friday for his lawsuit against a jeweler.

Brees and his wife filed a suit against La Jolla jeweler Vahid Moradi last year in which they claimed they were sold investment diamonds by Moradi and his company, CJ Charles Jewelers, from 2012-2016. Brees alleged in his suit that Moradi misrepresented the value of the diamonds, with a separate appraiser valuing them at $6.7 million less than what the Breeses paid.

In one example, a diamond Brees paid $8.1 million for was appraised at $3.7 million. The total amount the Breeses paid Moradi was $15 million.

The jeweler’s attorney claimed that the appraiser was actually a competitor who tried to sell jewelry to the Breeses. The defense claimed the diamonds were purchased as a gift for Brees’ wife, not investment purposes. The defense also claimed any differences in prices were due to standard markups by businesses to cover expenses, according to CBS 8 in San Diego.

When Brees sued last year, he was seeking at least $9 million in damages.

The 40-year-old quarterback was drafted by the Chargers in 2001 and played there through the 2005 season before signing with the Saints. He has played for New Orleans ever since, winning a Super Bowl and making 12 Pro Bowls.

Pelicans’ Twitter calls out Carolina Panthers for wishing Zion Williamson well

Zion Williamson

The New Orleans Pelicans nabbed Zion Williamson first overall in the NBA Draft on Thursday night, which led to a lot of wider attention from the sports world. Some of that attention came from a somewhat unlikely source.

As Williamson is a North Carolina native, the Carolina Panthers’ Twitter account saw fit to wish Williamson good luck after the Pelicans drafted him. The Pelicans’ Twitter account, however, was quick to ask why the NFL team hadn’t bothered congratulating any of the Charlotte Hornets’ draftees.

The New Orleans Saints, who in addition to sharing a city with the Pelicans are also the Panthers’ division rivals, wasted no time getting in on the fun.

Is it a bit excessive considering Williamson is from North Carolina? Maybe. But it’s fun, makes for some harmless Twitter drama, and increases the visibility of the accounts involved, which is the entire point.

Report: NFL scouts drooling over Oregon QB Justin Herbert

Justin Herbert

Justin Herbert has been mentioned by many as a potential candidate to be taken first overall in the NFL Draft next year, and apparently scouts agree that the Oregon quarterback is a tremendous prospect.

Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com reports that Herbert was rated the top NFL prospect at the senior meetings last month, and scouts gave him one of the highest grades of any senior in the past 10 years.

Herbert made a somewhat surprising decision to return to Oregon for his senior season, but that should allow him to develop more if he can stay healthy. He threw for over 3,000 yards and 29 touchdown passes last season to go along with eight interceptions.

As of now, it seems likely that either Herbert or Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa will be the first QB off the board in 2020. One NFL scout has already revealed which player he considers a better prospect, and that opinion may become more popular in the coming months.

Odell Beckham takes swipe at Giants, says they held him back

Odell Beckham

Odell Beckham Jr and the New York Giants have not exactly been spreading the love since they parted ways earlier this offseason, and the star wide receiver fired the latest shot.

In an interview with Jacob Davey of Complex that was published on Friday, Beckham was asked if he believes being traded from the Giants to the Cleveland Browns will help him fulfill his potential. He essentially said the Giants were holding him back.

“I felt like I wasn’t going to be able to reach my full potential there; mentally, physically, spiritually, everything I felt capable of doing, I just couldn’t see it happening there,” Beckham said. “So I think allowing me to be in an environment where I can be myself and give it a different approach, I feel like my football will benefit. I’m just excited about being able to play football again and not have to deal with all the other stuff and politics that came with my previous role.”

Beckham also said he is excited about the “culture” they have created in Cleveland, which is an interesting way to put it. Shortly after Beckham was traded, Giants GM Dave Gettlemen seemed to take a shot at him by saying the team had a “culture problem” with OBJ on the roster.

Beckham has indicated in the past that he doesn’t feel the Giants give him the respect he deserves, and he is obviously relieved to be out of New York. Whether or not that will translate to huge numbers playing with Baker Mayfield remains to be seen, but Browns fans have every reason to be excited.

H/T NJ.com

Alex Smith does not sound certain he will play football again

Alex Smith

Alex Smith is still working his way back from a devastating leg injury he suffered last season, and he is not expected to play at all in 2019. What happens beyond that remains uncertain, and Smith clearly is not taking anything for granted.

Smith opened up about his injury in an interview with FOX 5 DC’s Angie Goff, and he admitted he has a long way to go before he can think about playing football again. While he remains optimistic, he stopped short of saying with certainty that he will be back.

“That’s the plan. I’ve got to conquer some more steps before I get there — learn to run again, that was a big one,” Smith said. “But I’m already throwing. Throwing’s not a problem, but dropping, moving around, changing direction, all that kind of stuff.”

Smith said he is still working on “lifestyle steps” at the moment such as being able to play basketball with his kids and run around the yard. He then pointed to a device he has been wearing on his leg to help with the healing process.

“I’ve got this crazy contraption that nobody’s ever seen before on my leg that comes from, like, Siberia,” Smith added. “Believe it or not, it’s supposed to save my leg, save my bone, allow me to heal and walk again and hopefully play football again.”

Washington Redskins coach Jay Gruden recently provided a much more optimistic outlook on Smith’s injury, but the former No. 1 overall pick sounds like he is trying to be realistic. Smith recently turned 35 and knows there are no guarantees, especially after such a gruesome injury.

NFL approves replay of pass interference for 2019 season only

Rams Saints pass interference

The NFL has officially made pass interference calls and no-calls reviewable, but the 2019 season will essentially be a trial run for the new changes.

On Thursday, the NFL Competition Committee announced that the rule approved in March for review of pass interference has been unanimously approved, though it will only be in effect for the 2019 season. It will allow the replay official to stop the game during the final two minutes of each half and overtime when it is determined that there is “clear and obvious visual evidence” that a pass interference foul may or may not have occurred.

There has already been talk that the Competition Committee fears some “unintended consequences” that the replay expansion is going to create, so it makes sense that it will only go into effect for one season. If it turns out to be a disaster, the NFL can easily scrap it a year from now.