The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made a surprising decision to release star defensive tackle Gerald McCoy on Monday, but it now looks like they had his replacement in mind all along.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Bucs have agreed to a one-year deal with Ndamukong Suh.
Ndamukong Suh and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are finalizing a one-year deal, a source tells ESPN. Barring any late hang ups, Suh is now expected to be a Buccaneer.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) May 21, 2019
McCoy was set to make $13 million in 2019, which was an amount the Bucs were not comfortable paying. Suh made $14 million in his lone season with the Los Angeles Rams last year.
Suh is actually a year older than McCoy at age 32, and McCoy has more sacks in each of the past four seasons. McCoy was signed with Tampa through 2021 prior to being released, so the move was probably more financially motivated than anything. The immediate signing of Suh is further evidence of that.
With no new contract in his back pocket, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones was a no-show for the start of the team’s OTAs.
Like last year, Jones did not participate in the OTAs as he seeks a new contract from the team.
Not that it’s a surprise, but Julio Jones didn’t show up today for the first day of OTAs. (It’s not like he needs to be there, obviously.) The team does expect him to participate in mandatory minicamp, although it expected him to do so last year.
— Jason Butt (@JasonHButt) May 20, 2019
Jones’s actions last year got him an adjusted contract, but with two years left on his deal and a new Antonio Brown contract resetting the market for receivers, he wants a renegotiation. It was reported back in March that he was nearing a new deal, but that hasn’t happened yet, though the Falcons do remain optimistic.
- Julio Jones
Jon Gruden wasted hardly any time in his first season back with the Oakland Raiders last year publicly criticizing Derek Carr for his poor play, but apparently the coach is planning to take a new approach in 2019.
On Tuesday, a reporter asked Gruden a seemingly standard question about what strides he would like to see from Carr this season. Gruden responded by complimenting Carr and saying he does not want to critique the quarterback through the media.
Gruden asked what strides he wants to see Carr make in Year 2 with offense: “I’m not gonna critique Derek Carr in the media … He’s one of the best arm talents in football.”
— Matt Schneidman (@mattschneidman) May 21, 2019
This is the same Gruden who had no problem calling Carr out for missing some deep throws after the very first game of the season last year. The coach said after another loss a few weeks later that he did not regret calling a pass play on 1st-and-goal from the 1-yard line because Carr should have known not to throw the ball.
Gruden and new Raiders general manager Mike Mayock have said they are committed to Carr, but you have to wonder how long all these positive vibes will last if Oakland gets off to another bad start. Even if Gruden stays true to his word and doesn’t criticize Carr in the media, we’ve seen him light into Carr on the sideline during games. The leash probably won’t be very long for Carr in his second season under Gruden.
The first day of OTAs has resulted in a significant injury for the Washington Redskins.
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com, linebacker Reuben Foster is believed to have a torn ACL plus additional damage, and will see a specialist to figure out the true severity of the injury.
Sources: #Redskins LB Reuben Foster is believed to have suffered a torn ACL, plus additional damage. The injury has been described as major and significant. He’s seeing specialists to determine the full extent. But a brutal situation for Washington.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 20, 2019
This was the fear as soon as Foster was carted off the practice field. Such an injury would put his season in serious jeopardy, but Washington will wait to get the full picture on the injury before making any pronouncements on recovery time.
- Reuben Foster
Aaron Rodgers appeared as an extra in the penultimate episode of “Game of Thrones,” the popular HBO show that ended its run on Sunday. Being part of the cast, though, did not stop Aaron Rodgers from airing a list of grievances about how the show ended.
On Tuesday, the Green Bay Packers quarterback shared them while also clarifying his appearance.
"You come down to the ending and Tyrion says the person with the best story is Bran?!" pic.twitter.com/F9OhCWbrZh
— Stephen Watson (@WISN_Watson) May 21, 2019
Rodgers, who is not the first athlete to cameo on the show, confirmed that he was neither the guy who was blown up in an explosion, nor the Lannister archer, as many believed. He mused that the guy who was running away and blown up in a scene was “not an athlete” and seemed insulted that people assumed that was his role in the show.
— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) May 21, 2019
But he saved his greatest critique for the ending. Rodgers is not a fan of Bran ruling Westeros at the end of the show, and took 90 seconds to go through his view of the ending like he was breaking down an upcoming opponent. He rattled of a laundry list of characters who had a better story than Bran. Rodgers offered his preferred winner: Danaerys Targaryen.
“I loved the opportunity to be in the show, which most probably don’t think I was, but I was there. I love the show, but the writers were also doing Star Wars, so I think they might have been a little busy this last season,” Rodgers said in one final shot.
Sounds like someone does not want to be part of the upcoming comedy series detailing Bran’s reign over Westeros.
Former New York Jets defensive back Antonio Cromartie still cares about the team, or so it seems — and he’s not terribly happy with their direction.
In the wake of the Jets’ decision to fire general manager Mike Maccagnan, Cromartie responded to a tweet from the team’s official account quoting chairman Christopher Johnson confidently stating that they’ll find the right replacement. Let’s just say Cromartie is skeptical.
— ANTONIO CROMARTIE (@CRO31) May 16, 2019
Cromartie played for the Jets from 2010 through 2013 and again in 2015, suiting up in three playoff games for the franchise. It’s safe to say he still keeps an eye on how things are going, and it’s also pretty clear that he doesn’t think much of upper management. Given the things being said by ownership, it’s hard to blame him for that opinion.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are releasing Gerald McCoy but reportedly have interest in a potential replacement.
The Bucs informed McCoy on Monday of their plans to release him, The Tampa Bay Times’ Rick Stroud reports. They reportedly are interested in free agent Ndamukong Suh as a potential replacement.
With the release of Gerald McCoy, the Bucs have several options, and may move quickly to sign Rams free agent defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, according to @tometrics.
— Rick Stroud (@NFLSTROUD) May 20, 2019
Tampa Bay apparently worked with McCoy on the matter and wants him to find a suitable home. They gave his agent permission to talk with other teams.
McCoy, however, may be better off than the Bucs. The team had given his agent, Ben Dogra, permission to talk to other teams to find a new home for McCoy, who should attract lots of interest from contending teams
— Rick Stroud (@NFLSTROUD) May 20, 2019
The two sides seemed destined to part ways. McCoy was set to make $13 million this season, which is an amount Tampa Bay did not want to pay. The team was looking to trade him but apparently did not find a partner because other teams did not want to pay that amount and surrender an asset to get him on top of that. If he is going to take a pay cut, it would be for a championship contender. There is an up-and-coming AFC team was said to have interest in the six-time Pro Bowler.
McCoy, 31, had not been participating in off-season activities for Tampa Bay. The defensive lineman had 28 tackles and six sacks in 14 games last season.